Author Topic: TIME OUT  (Read 2568 times)

Les303

TIME OUT
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
G'day Alan,

I seem to remember that quite a while ago you extended the time that you were allowed to make a post.
Being a one finger typist & also someone who is also easily distracted i really appreciated this feature which if i remember correctly you changed from 2 hours to 10 hours to complete a post before it was lost & you had to start again.

I was " timed out " with my last rather lengthy post in the More or Les thread.

I had been doing it in bits & pieces with several interuptions so it may well have been well over two hours that i had the page open but certainly nowhere near ten so i was surprised that i was timed out.

I suspect that this could be an issue with my PC rather than with your site as i have been having a few problems with my computer since a recent " automatic windows upgrade "

Any ideas?

Thanks Les

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: TIME OUT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:52:01 PM »
Any ideas?

Simple solution there, Les. Keep your posts short! Not only will you not get timed out but more people might read them.  ;D

Les303

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »
I'll blame Ozziejack for setting a bad example with his lengthy posts.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »
Another solution ... fire up a text editor, and compose your post offline in the text editor beforehand, if you're posting something important or lengthy.

This way, you have chance [1] to subject the post to proofreading before committing yourself to posting, and [2] save a copy in case your Internet connection malfunctions, and loses your post in transit.

Even for some short posts it's a good idea, if you know your Internet connection is less than ideally reliable. :)
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Roddles

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »
Although my initial reaction was to say 'hear, hear' to Pat's succinct post, on reflection I think it has not been a bad idea to preserve a specific topic for long personal exchanges such as the 'more or Les' topic. Those who have enjoyed and participated in it have a forum to do so, and others have a well-defined topic they can choose whether to read or skip as they wish. One of the reasons I enjoy this forum has been its free-wheeling,  wide-ranging nature, although it is the international reaction to word usage that really interests me.  I would become less of a fan if the personal reflections topics overflowed too much into the word usage topics.

Les303

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »
Well said mate.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:11 PM »
As far as I know the 10-hour time-out is in effect still. I haven't ever put it to the test.

The only other limit is a maximum size per post of 20,000 characters. Is it possible you exceeded that, Les? It's equivalent to about 10 pages in a book. Over the years, only a handful of posts went over 10,000 characters, the longest being 11,191. And, no, it wasn't one of yours, Les it was from more than ten years ago.

I'd endorse Calilasseia's suggestion of composing longer posts outside the forum, in a file you can regularly save.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »
Thanks Alan but definitely not an issue with the number of words, I actually re - wrote the post straight away without any problem.
As I said earlier, I was pretty sure that it is an issue with my PC because after a recent upgrade I have been having all sorts of weird problems anyway I did a total shutdown last night which seems to have resolved a lot of my issues but there are still a few gremlins there so once i have had my team of I.T. experts go over my P.C. I will let you know if I get timed out again.

That team of I.T. experts consists of my niece's family who, as luck would have it, will be visiting me next week on their way to the Gold Coast for a short holiday.

Cheers Les

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »
That post Alan linked to as the longest post didn't seem particularly long when I read it ... I'm sure I've written dissertations here on this forum exceeding the length of that! :D

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...