Author Topic: Has anyone been having trouble using the search function?  (Read 1765 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Has anyone been having trouble using the search function?
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
I have noticed when searching the forum that it appears that I only get the first post in each topic that satisfies the search criteria even though many posts in the topic obviously satisfy the search criteria.  Has anyone else had this problem?
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has anyone been having trouble using the search function?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
As far as I can recall this is the way the search has always worked, Jack. I don't think it's always the first matching post in the topic that is returned - it seems to be arbitrary.

This is probably not much of a problem most of the time, though it could be a bit limiting if a topic had hundreds of posts. But how likely is that?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »
This is probably not much of a problem most of the time, though it could be a bit limiting if a topic had hundreds of posts. But how likely is that?

Could be a problem if I were searching for something in
  • Dedicated to Linda       2196
  • Forumites changing light bulbs -- a humorous thread!       2093
  • High Tea       1568
  • Just for ANONSI-who deserves a subject just for her....       948

But I take your point, and if it is a design feature and not a bug, we'll have to learn to live with it.

Thanks for the quick response. Alan.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:17:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:23:57 PM »
Isn't past your bedtime?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:39:24 PM »
Isn't past your bedtime?

I had two hours sleep and turned over and made the mistake of checking chihuahua.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
Alan, I could not find a way of changing the defaults on the advanced search.  It may be because there isn’t one or just because I am thick.  Any advice?
Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
Sorry, Jack, but I don't think you can change the defaults.
Alan Walker

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:35 AM »
Search is also based on where you are in the site. So for example, if you wanted to find info about "hats" in the More or Les thread, you could first go to that thread and then do a search on hats. Doing so returns 7 results, not just one.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
Well I never knew that! Thanks anonsi.
Alan Walker

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
Hi Anonsi,

I have learnt several new things as a result of your post. Thank you.

When I first tried going into the More or Les thread and then doing a search, I couldn’t replicate your result.  So I looked up the Simple Machine Forum (SMF) Manual on Searching. SMF is the system our forum is based on. Here is an abridged copy of the relevant features I found,

{the forum has} a simple search field in the collapsible header as well as a search link in the main menu. Using the link in the main menu, users can also access the advanced search screen. Administrators can choose to disable search or regulate the search permissions for users.

The simple search field located at the top of the default SMF theme will, when viewing topics, filter search results to just that topic. The same applies to boards as well - when viewing a board the simple search field will filter the search to just results in that particular board. {but it only finds one for each topic}

Using the simple or advanced search methods, you can still use search modifiers. These are powerful special characters which modify the way in which SMF handles your search string.
•   Phrase search - use double quotes (") around your term ("search term") to search for the search term as a phrase instead of individual words.
•   Excluding terms - use a minus sign in front of terms you would like to exclude from the search result. For instance, "search -term" will search for "search" but not "term". The minus sign must have a space prior to it.

I had assumed that the simple search at the top right of the page (“News” is on the left of the line) and the simple search (just filling in the first box in the criteria)which comes up when you press SEARCH in the main Menu
Home | Help | Search | Profile | My Messages | Calendar | Members | Logout
were identical in the way they functioned. Not so. When I used the simple search at the top right of the page I got the same result as you.

I had always used the advanced search from the main menu because I find the degree of relevance measure to be irrelevant to me (in other words, I don't unstand how it is calculated).  I would prefer to have my responses presented chronologically.  It is a curse having to change this parameter every time you do a search.

But why the term Collapsible Header?  After a bit of experimentation I found out the four lines
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in:
News                      Search
collapse when you press the small “+” symbol at the right of the date/time in the “Hello whoever” Line.  It is a toggle switch which has a pop-up  “shrink or expand the header” when you hover over it.  Why you would want to shrink or expand the header puzzles me, but if you want to, you can.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:53:23 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack