Author Topic: American English dialect survey  (Read 881 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
American English dialect survey
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »
American forumites might be interested to do this survey. From the Language Log blog:

I hope that if you're American you'll consider taking my new American English dialect survey, which is now available at dialectsofenglish.com. You can answer as few as 30 and as many as 60 questions, and immediately see heat maps for where your answers are most popular. Please pass this along to your American students, friends, and family– especially if they've never taken any of my surveys before–as I'm trying to get as many respondents as possible in order to increase the accuracy of the localization algorithm our team is working on. It's free, and no registration is required.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: American English dialect survey
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »
Hey, that was fun!  I did all 60.  It was hard to decide where I thought my dialect had been most formed so I chose Brooklyn, since I've been here longest.  It turned out my mother's Boston origin, and maybe all the summers I spent there as a kid, outweighed my adult location a lot of the time.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: American English dialect survey
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:34:56 AM »
I also did all 60, but a lot of my choices had insufficient data for a heat map. My father was raised in New Jersey, my Canadian-born mother in Baltimore by parents from Scotland (Edinburgh & Glasgow, go figure), I was raised in south Florida, had a speech therapist from Boston, and have lived in the Midwest for forty years (but still not used to rʊf for roof or krɪk for creek). I guess I don't fit into a typical group.