Author Topic: Re-usable letters?  (Read 25929 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: Re-usable letters?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
I am coming in a bit late because I haven’t got anything useful to say to add to that already contributed.  I am aware, however, how frustrating it is not to get feedback when you ask for it.

June and I found both formats to be interesting, with the six letter variety being much easier.

We both preferred the traditional Chihuahua formats, particularly the Standard, and would not like to see them downgraded.

This might be a bit unfair on the experimental formats because they seem to require a change in mindset.  Also, I found going back to a paper exercise off-putting.  I missed the instant feedback of common, rare and bad luck, mate.

The experimental formats must require an increase in the word list to account for answers greater than 10 letters, but I have no doubt you have got this covered.

As for the name, I have no suggestions.  BORDER COLLIE has too many letters and MONGREL is perhaps too Australian. You will gather I prefer working dogs over toy dogs.

Thanks again, Alan. for your continuing efforts to provide and improve games that so many of us enjoy.
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
My thoughts on a name is TERRIER cos we all chasing after words ;D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
By the way, a chickadee is not a dog!
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »
Except for the Long-Coat Chihuahua, they look like oversized rats and, pound-for-pound, are the nastiest dog I've ever encountered. And I've found many people who agree with that assessment. If they were larger and could bite above the ankle, they'd be outlawed in many places.

I have to agree with you, TRex.
I would consider myself a dog-lover (We have four at home - three Golden Retrievers and a large 'Heinz' dog), but I cannot abide small things like Chihuahuas, Shiatsus and 'Toy' Poodles. Nasty, yappy little things. Anything smaller than a rabbit, to me, is not a real dog.

Maybe we need a new name for such things. 'Doglet', perhaps?

Unfortunately, however,  in Thailand, as in many other parts of the world, toy dogs have become fashion accessories, carried around by 'hi-so' ladies even into places where dogs are not allowed - restaurants and the fresh food sections of supermarkets.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
As this is a chickadee, I wonder what Mike and TRex are talking about.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »
I had to read the two posts a couple of times before I realised what TRex was getting at, Pat.

Another possible name would be Chickadee. Like Chihuahua and Chinchilla, it's a cute little creature.

Alan's point is that, in his opinion, all three - Chickadee, Chihuahua and Chinchilla - are 'cute little creatures'.
TRex's point (which I'm inclined to agree with) is that Chihuahuas are too ill-tempered to be described as 'cute'.

Except for the Long-Coat Chihuahua, they look like oversized rats and, pound-for-pound, are the nastiest dog I've ever encountered. And I've found many people who agree with that assessment. If they were larger and could bite above the ankle, they'd be outlawed in many places.

'They' in TRex's quote, - my underlining btw -  refers only to 'Chihuahua' not to the other two creatures

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
The cuteness or otherwise of chihuahuas is completely academic at this stage - it's about twelve years too late to change the name!
Alan Walker

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
I like chihuahuas. I think they're cute! So are chinchillas and so are chickadees.

Les303

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
Alan, why not make up your own name, it doesn't have to be a real word ;

HEXPLUS -- seven different letters, with the opportunity to play more than seven letters or maybe HEXACHI to keep your brand name alive.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:55:08 PM by Les303 »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 02:49:20 AM »
In re-reading, I see my use of 'they' was ambiguous. My apologies. I was thinking of the two breeds of Chihuahua (hence the plural third-person) which are sometimes divided into four by the two head-shape categories.

I've never thought a chickadee was a dog. I've never thought a chinchilla was a dog. The chickadee is rather cute. The chinchilla is okay looking — for a rodent.

Anything smaller than a rabbit, to me, is not a real dog.

Maybe we need a new name for such things. 'Doglet', perhaps?

Mike, I think the rabbit cut-off a good one. 'Doglet' would be okay by me.

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2018, 03:03:54 AM »
Ahem

Sadly, limited cyber skills prevent me from sharing a photo of Maiko, who contrary to what her name suggests, is unlikely to ever become a full-fledged geisha.

This 8 1/2-pounder is joyful at the sight of most humans and momentarily lifts the spirits of many.

She senses none intend to belittle her size or ....character.

Sending face licks and tail wags to all,
From Maiko via Lily's Field

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 04:10:13 AM »
Maiko is half the size of my cat. A doglet to be sure.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 07:41:54 AM »
I didn't get to play the 6-letter version, so can't compare the 2 versions. Enjoyed the challenge but certainly needs a brain shift.

Chickadees are cute. I'm with the 'doglet' brigade re chihuahuas but I enjoy the word when it's slowed down...  :P

Typing 'chi' into Google - the first word that came up for me was chipotle, which could be a nice spicy kind of name - ?  :-H

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
I've been working intermittently on creating puzzles of the sort described earlier in this thread. It will soon be made available as an option in "Your puzzles". This will allow players to try it out properly and give some more feedback on how it plays.

I feel it's a more interesting puzzle with five as the minimum word size, so that's how I'm setting it up. But, interestingly the New York Times has now created an online version of their Spelling Bee puzzle, and it allows words of four letters and above. Their weekly print version still requires five letters or more I think. I still believe the five letter minimum is better.

Far be it from me to hasten the downfall of the failing (according to D. Trump) NY Times by stealing their puzzle ideas, but the option I'm planning to introduce will differ in several ways from the NY Times puzzle - they have a points based scoring system that rewards longer words and words using all the letters, whereas the Chi version will just have targets for how many words you find, as with the other puzzles. Also we have the common / rare word distinction and the rosette for getting all the common words.

At this stage I'm not giving these puzzles a special name - they'll just be a variety of Chihuahua puzzle.

Alan Walker

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
Looking forward to giving it a go. ;D
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else