Author Topic: American vs British English - new book coming out  (Read 18582 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: American vs British English - new book coming out
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »

Just waiting for an invitation, Ozzyjack - and maybe a plane ticket!

If I was 30 years younger, single like Les, and thirty times richer, I would be tempted  >:D

How's that for instant repartee. :'(
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »

After finishing the quiz (which I thoroughly enjoyed) I wondered how well my children and grandchildren would perform.

Carol I suspect not nearly as well.  As a person of a certain age, i would have undoubtedly been biassed to the language of the mid to late 20th Century. The influences of television and social media has, I believe, promoted more international and less parochial language.

You did well. I have to confess until I did a bit of research I would not have known what a nannygai or Coolgardie Safe was.  Pademelon was also unknown to me before it was suggested by June but it was a dream to think up alternative fictional meanings for.

Perhaps we should challenge one of our younger members to develop a Social Media Language  Quiz.  I suspect I would perform miserably.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:49:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2018, 05:47:04 AM »

If I was 30 years younger, single like Les, and thirty times richer, I would be tempted  >:D

One should usually fall to temptation, I think.  It makes life more interesting.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
Good Heavens, Jack.  In your list, how could you possibly forget our ex-prime minister's favourite beach attire?  Budgie Smugglers!

Indeed, Budgie Smuggler has now entered the lexicon far and wide, and a variant thereof, Budgy Smuggler, is now a registered trademark by an Australian swimwear manufacturer. :)

Indeed, they've become so successful with this trademark, that they now have outlets in the UK and EU. To which I was redirected when I tried visiting the Australian version of the website. Apparently the website is smart enough to register your geographical location, and suggest you go to the requisite site for your location.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Les303

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »

Thirty times richer than Les = zero especially after recent apartment renovation which is ongoing as is the relationship that I am developing with Karen ( the designer who I hired to assist with the reno )

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2018, 04:45:21 AM »
Oh Les do I have competition?
Pleased to see you back :)
I only got 5/10 on the quiz but thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thanks to all of you.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
On the ABC Morning Show today, David O’Doherty, an Irish comedian out here for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival claimed that Australia is the only place in the world that call the items  below "witches hats".  And if he is right what else would you call them apart from, perhaps. their official name as "Traffic Control Cones"?

Regards, Jack

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2018, 02:42:34 AM »
Cones or traffic cones.

Les303

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
On the ABC Morning Show today, David O’Doherty, an Irish comedian out here for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival claimed that Australia is the only place in the world that call the items  below "witches hats".  And if he is right what else would you call them apart from, perhaps. their official name as "Traffic Control Cones"?

Don't know about you Jack but I reckon that over the years, I have probably run over about a dozen of the bloody things!

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2018, 04:27:13 AM »
I've never heard their official name - and it sounds absurd. They're witches' hats.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2018, 09:59:24 AM »
I've never heard their official name - and it sounds absurd. They're witches' hats.

I believe all Australians would agree with you but are they known as that anywhere else in the world?

Regards, Jack

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2018, 04:09:00 AM »
I've never seen them called witches' hats.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2018, 05:57:27 AM »
I've never heard or read of any label other than traffic cones. Boring, but accurate.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
Different patterns in English word usage in different parts of the world are sometimes hot topics in this forum, in evaluating what is a "common" word. A blog on this topic that I've been following for a while is Separated by a Common Language, written by Lynne Murphy, aka lynneguist, a US-born linguist living in England. Now she has written a book, The Prodigal Tongue, which I'll be interested to read.

On the book's website are two quizzes, allowing you to test your fluency in American English and British English. Forumites might find it interesting to try both of them - especially those of us who are from places like Australia. Are residents of Commonwealth countries more fluent in British English? Your results might surprise you.

I'm half-way through the book, Alan, and enjoying it immensely.  My scores for the quizzes were what I might modestly call abysmal: my total of  correct answers for all three was a picayune 16.