Author Topic: Snails for breakfast? Sounds good!  (Read 1322 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Snails for breakfast? Sounds good!
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
I guess I need to exercise my German half every now and then.  In German, snails are schnecken.  They also have a pastry called schnecken with a spiral shape, like a snail shell.

Here in the US we seem to have borrowed (pirated) the recipe and have given it a new name.  They are cinnamon buns (cinnabuns).  Yes, they still have a spiral like snail shells.

Of course I took some small liberties with the recipe, but only in matters that would not affect the mechanics of how it goes together.  I will certainly make more changes in the future, but that is a different post.  Maybe this will incorporate some real maple syrup and/or maple sugar?  Maybe a maple glaze?  Maybe some chocolate covered peanuts?  Do I hear bacon?

:-H :-H :-H
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Snails for breakfast? Sounds good!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:48 AM »
You're making me hungry...
I think I sampled the German pastries you mention while I was on holiday there a few years back :-H
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:17:30 AM »
a non-amos, your posts are a danger to a dieter.  No cinnamon buns in the house just now, so I'm off to find a stroopwafel.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
I will certainly make more changes in the future, but that is a different post.  Maybe this will incorporate some real maple syrup and/or maple sugar?
Sounds good.

Maybe a maple glaze?
That also sounds good.

Maybe some chocolate covered peanuts?
Walnuts, pecans, perhaps black walnuts, but not peanuts.

Do I hear bacon?
Definitely not. (Sounds disgusting.)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
I did not expect bacon to be very good on a pastry, but I have tried it on donuts and cupcakes and it can be better in practice than it sounds on paper.  It must be American style bacon, crisp, and it must be well drained (no grease allowed!).  That being said, bacon is not high on my list of priorities for this recipe.

I might have a better idea.  Birdy, cover your ears.  If this works it would be the absolute death of any diet.

What happens if I make a batch of fresh home-made pralines, smash them, and use them as a filling rolled into the cinnamon rolls?

FYI: Real pralines are halfway between a cookie and a peanut brittle, but made with pecans instead of peanuts.  If they are as hard as peanut brittle you have overcooked them.  They have a roasted pecan flavor with a caramelized sugar coating.  They are sinfully good when they are still warm, and really not very good in the numerous praline shops in the NOLA French Quarter.

Maybe praline filling with a maple or honey glaze?

For that matter, it might be good with a Nutella-coconut filling and a cream cheese glaze.

Further experimentation is called for.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
Birdy, cover your ears.  If this works it would be the absolute death of any diet.

I covered my ears, but unfortunately my eyes were still open. Fortunately my will power remained adequate, and I did not leave the house to find another stroopwafel.  And besides, the stores are all closed for the night.