Author Topic: How did you get here?  (Read 23354 times)

guiltypleasure

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get here?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »
Carol and Les

Have you tried the Guardian online cryptic crossword? https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

I have to confess that I only do the quick crossword, but I really like all the features that you can use (e.g. check you answer to see if it is right - not quite cheating, but close).

Linda

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 12:05:53 AM »
Just looking for word games, I think.  Such a long time ago now.  I used to love playing Funny Farm and the Lateral game on Kongregate.  Whatever happened to those games?  Perhaps you can devise a similar one for us word freaks, Alan, in your spare time, of course!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 12:19:39 AM »
My daughter found you originally on google.  I have passed this brilliantly addictive game on to several of my work colleagues & friends.  I love both the games & the Forum.  Between us we've probably helped to up the UK percentage a bit! 
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
I did an internet search for word games too. Tried one called Tompaton but that is very frustrating as it allows proper nouns too and as it is international some of the names are impossible to guess! Chi was a godsend when I stumbled upon it.

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 02:51:29 AM »
I found the game looking for word games and was quickly addicted to it.
Thanks Alan

Dragonman
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 03:46:53 AM »

Hi, Alan:

I had loved the 9-letter puzzles in the newspaper for years. One evening, at an ESL teachers conference, in my hotel room, I was searching around for an alternative, and there you were.

Ever grateful,

nineoaks

PS: Thanks for the top ten countries breakdown. I was curious that no EU countries were represented in the original chart. Some day, when you really have nothing else to do, perhaps you will post the complete list. 

Les303

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
Carol and Les

Have you tried the Guardian online cryptic crossword? https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

I have to confess that I only do the quick crossword, but I really like all the features that you can use (e.g. check you answer to see if it is right - not quite cheating, but close).

Linda

Thanks Linda.

For those who have never been able to make any sense of cryptic clues, there is a sheila on this link that provides an excellent tutorial.
https://lovattspuzzles.com/2009/03/13/cryptic-crossword-solver/

kaeru

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »
Well, for me, who loved the 9 letter Target word in the Sydney Morning Herald, I was only too pleased to be introduced to Chi by a very dear friend in Melbourne, who insisted I needed to keep my brain going. And since cancelling the SMH paper version and going digital I have become more addicted to Chi. I really do prefer a PAPER newspaper in front of me rather than a digital edition, but easier to go with the times and less polluting. Only so much newspaper one can use around the garden etc. Friend and I often compared notes, she usually doing a lot better than me and achieving a rosette and me missing out on a word or 10.  Unfortunately my dear friend can't do Chi any more as she has developed a very serious health problem and gosh I miss that friendly rivalry (via computer). So I will continue with Chi, striving to get the BIG word in each game and just occasionally, VERY occasionally, being awarded the much coveted rosette.  For her sake.
Kaeru

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

Thank you Linda
 Carol

gromit

• Neophyte
  • Wellington, NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 11:12:08 AM »
A few years ago a group of us at work did the Target puzzle in the Dominion Post every afternoon. One day there wasn't a newspaper in the office so I went online to find an alternative and found Chihuahua. I started playing at home after work and quickly created an account mainly to save my progress in a game. I didn't join the forum until I had a word I wanted to query, though.

I wonder if the reason for the large number of Aussie players is to do with search engines. I use google.co.nz rather than google.com as it tends to give local results (e.g., if I want to find the menu of a local cafe and not one overseas with the same name). Also with Google I have an account so I tend to be signed in as me which also helps it know where I am. Then throw in the fact that unless you use something to prevent it most webpages will know which country you're connecting to the internet in and you're more likely to get geographically local results.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »

I've no doubt that you will also remember just how quickly & easily I was able to teach myself the most difficult of computer tasks, I might have asked you the odd technical question & very occasionally I might have asked another forumite about a particular aspect of the game but generally speaking I was just simply brilliant with my ability to adapt to the computer world with barely a hiccup.[/i][/font][/font]

Well, at least, that is how I would like to remember my first foray onto the internet.
However, I am sure that Alan, Pat, Mike & many others will have an entirely different recollection.

Okay, you made me laugh (again), Les - keep up the good work!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
I don't even remember how I found my way here.  I suspect it might have been through Mancklin, who I worked with at one time.

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »
My cousin Diz in New Zealand told me about it originally, back in 2006. Joined, left, came back, left and am now back again! I'm in England.

Matilda

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
I too found Chihuahua on Google too.
I was doing the 9 letter word puzzle in The West Australian TV Guide but one a week was not enough. (My husband hogs the actual papers so I never got a look at those ones).
On my laptop and tablet I can do them anytime and I love the fact that I can keep track of my progress and review previous games. I also love to check in on the forums although I don't post very often.
Just keep swimming, swimming...or cycling, walking, dancing and singing!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »
My route was somewhat circuitous. I'd been partial to the Target puzzle published in the Daily Express here in the UK. That and the Garfield cartoon were the only reasons I bothered with this tawdry tabloid, and usually did so via the library, so I wouldn't be giving Dirty Desmond any more money to add to his billions - see Private Eye for more on this.

Unfortunately for the tabloid in question, but fortunately for my moral fibre, the online version omitted this puzzle from its collection.

So, the hunt was on for an online version. Took a bit of searching, but hey presto, eventually, Google pointed me here, and I've not looked back since.

Part of the fun of this place, centres upon the endless discussions about what should be marked as 'common' or 'rare' in the database. Some serious Trivial Pursuit knowledge gems can be mined from these threads. :)

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...