Author Topic: Ten years of stats  (Read 1906 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ten years of stats
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:43:25 PM »
As we now have ten full years of player statistics, I thought it would be interesting to look at how some totals have moved over that decade. (If you've been playing with the same ID, you can look at your own trends over the years on the Player Statistics page. See here for details.)

First, numbers of players.

These statistics count people who have played more than one daily puzzle in a year. Those who have played only once are left out because there are lots of people who stumble on the site, play a word or two and decide it's not their cup of tea, and leave, never to return.

Then, the number of daily puzzles they played.

And the average number of puzzles played by each player.

And now, how many words were played each year?

And since many of us focus mainly on the "common" words:

To get a sense of whether we're getting better at finding those common words, we can relate it to the number of puzzles played.

Or we can look at the percentage of possible common words that were found.

The rosette for finding all the common words has remained elusive.

However we did better at finding the big word (9 or 10 letters) in each puzzle.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

oldpaul

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Ten years of stats
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
Hi Alan,
Good to see popularity growing and warmest thanks for your remarkable, patient and untiring efforts.
I’d be interested in seeing what happens if you run your stats to include say only people who have played 30 or more games in a calendar year.
Many thanks

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
Thanks for those fascinating insights, Alan.  The provision of individual player stats is something I value highly as a way of tracking my progress and improvement over the years.  Personally, I was delighted to achieve my first ever top 10 ranking for total rosettes in 2017.  Mind you, it's taken me six and a half years to get there. 

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
The only statistic which has any real significance for me is the number of rosettes, since a rosette is my target in every game I play.
That number has increased quite significantly each year. Practice (and increased familiarity with most of Chi's little 'quirks' - the alternative spellings that are allowed and the words ending in 's' which are permitted ('short / shorts', for example) makes perfect.

I don't worry too much about the rankings, since Chi is not a competitive game, but, as always, I'm amused to see that I rank 7th ** in the 'trophies' column. I've about as much chance of ever getting a trophy as I have of opening the batting for England, but it's nice to know that there are only 6 ahead of me!
 >:D  

**That figure refers to the 10-letter game, by the way. On 'All games' trophies, I'm 36th.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:01:47 PM by mkenuk »

Les303

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
I am so absorbed with reviewing my stats that I forget where to find them so Mike could you please direct me , again.
It might also be helpful for newer forumites.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
On the Home Page, near the bottom of the 'How to Play' section, simply click on 'Player Statistics page'.

Remember, you can't do this in 'Full Screen' mode.

Les303

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
Bloody " Full screen " , thanks mkenuk.

Matilda

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
Thanks Alan, I do like a good statistical analysis!

I dare not compare myself to others as I would fall far short but I have a couple of other players whom I watch and cheer on...Rogue Mother you are my hero  :-[ and Alonzo Quixote I am in awe of you  :o
Just keep swimming, swimming...or cycling, walking, dancing and singing!

Les303

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »
Oh Matilda, I am just shattered to learn that you are not part of my cheer squad.