Author Topic: Infarct/ion  (Read 1697 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Infarct/ion
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
Infarction is a word known to me, and probably one whose spelling is the reason I’ve never forgotten it - it’s such an odd word that the first time I came across it I thought someone had misspelt infraction. Nevertheless I can see why it would be classed as a rare word. What seems strange is that the closely related word, infarct is classed as common, especially given that 135 people played infarction but only 77 played infarct. A case for recategorization maybe?

Les303

Re: Infarct/ion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:04:07 PM »
I played infarction but it was just a guess.
Having fluked " infarction " I quickly played infarct before viewing their definitions.

I was surprised when the definition was not about some sort of bowel movement that had gone wrong.

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:39 PM »
I was one of those who got infarction but not infarct.  To me, infarction is much more commonly known as part of the term myocardial infarction (heart attack) as the stats quoted by Pat suggest.  So, I'd suggest that the classifications should be reversed: Infarction common and infarct rare.   

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 11:28:14 PM »
I'm with Morbius.

nineoaks

• Word-meister
  • Florence, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:47:07 AM »

Yo también

(with Morbius)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:53:44 AM »
So, I'd suggest that the classifications should be reversed: Infarction common and infarct rare.

Absolutely.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
I wasn't clear in my own mind about the distinction in meaning between these two words, partly because I have seen a heart attack referred to as both a myocardial infarction and a myocardial infarct. But it seems the latter usage is not strictly correct. An infarct is a localised area of tissue damaged by loss of blood supply. An infarction is an event causing an infarct, in other words an interruption to blood supply. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary doesn't even give a definition of infarction, just listing it under infarct as a derived word.

As people have mentioned, infarction is almost always seen in the expression myocardial infarction: a blockage of blood supply to the heart, otherwise known as a heart attack.

There's no doubt that the current treatment of infarct as more common than infarction is the wrong way around. Infarction seems to be used an order of magnitude more often. I'm convinced infarct should become rare, but this does not necessarily mean infarction should be common. It is a technical term. However it appears quite often in the news media in stories about health, or in reports of coroners' findings. I think most people would know the word, even if some are not sure about exactly what it means (as I wasn't).

This is backed up by the stats from the puzzle that inspired this request. Infarction was played more often than a dozen common words. Only one other rare word was found by more players - coir, which was switched from common to rare some time ago, a move questioned by some forumites.

I think on balance infarction should become common.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
Good decision.  ;D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »

I think on balance infarction should become common.

So it is now a potential 'seed-word' in a future 10-letter game, in which infraction would be a second 'big word'.
At least a year away, then?