Author Topic: roberts  (Read 183451 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
roberts
« on: July 01, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »
Hi Roberts,
welcome to the forum,
I hope now you have got this far, that you will actually join in with the chat.
I so admire how hard you try every day to get your scores...well done...
please join in..we need some more chaps on board..the few that do feel a bit outnumbered i think, amongst us gaggle of women.
give it a try, you might quite like it???
Technomc  :angel:

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: roberts
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »
Hello Technomc,

Thank you for your invitation. As you've obviously noticed I have been playing for some time now, and I must say I thoroughly enjoy the daily challenge. For me though its '99% perspiration and 1% inspiration' as evidenced by my relatively low 'hit rate'. I can't work out how anyone gets over the 'Maven' with a 100% hit rate!  Can you? ???

You and the regulars (i.e. Binkie, 3B, Alonzo Q, bjs et al.) certainly run a hard race. Just when I think Alan W has got it wrong (i.e. 'there can't be another 2 words' on Monday's Challenge') one or other of you (or God forbid 'Mum' or Animalist') run over the top of me to collect the trophy!

Still I keep coming back...is that a definition of addiction?

Best regards.

roberts

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:08:20 AM »
Hello Mate,
How wonderful to get a response...
I was beginning to give up trying....
The fact that you get where you do...regardless of % is fantastic....
If you read back over some of the old posts you will see that we speculate regularly on how folk get where they get and how??? And we all have our methods of play....
Us old hands have some theories...but hey!
What is surprising is how many of the 'rare' words stick in your head after a time.
Percy Verance...that seems to be the key...
What ever it is you are doing, you are doing great...It is a frustratingly habitual little bitch though isn't it???
Anyway...a huge welcome from me....and i hope you join in on lots of topics...
:angel:

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »
Hi roberts.  Glad to see you finally joined in on the forum.  Been missing your funny additions to your profile on Chi, though.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:03:34 AM »
hello mate,
How ya doin?
Have you had a good day?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
Hi roberts

Nice to hear from you. I hadn't noticed your comments in your player profile, as hawk-eyed anonsi did, but it's such an ephemeral medium - the forum is surely better. (In fact, it was noticing how some players were trying to use their names or profiles to send messages that spurred me to set up the forum.)

I hate to disillusion you as to my personal vocabulary, but it's almost certain that the last two words in any puzzle are completely unknown to me. The full word list was compiled by other people and is about 50% terra incognita as far as I'm concerned. So I can only look with awe at those who can get anywhere near a trophy.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »
Hi, roberts --

Yes, your fevered pursuit of the elusive trophy and rosette show a fierce and determined effort that is admirable!

Sorry that I haven't greeted you formally, but with all the chatter and banter in the posts, it becomes a bit mind-boggling to remember which new forumite I may have overlooked to welcome into our midst.

3-B/BBB/threeb (the signatures keep getting longer!)

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »
Hello 3-B. Thanks for your welcome.

Now 3-B, having 'silently' played for some months now, I've noticed how we all have somewhat different playing 'styles'. You, for example, seem to take a quick run at the new quiz and stop at a nice round number...like 80...before warming up for a second...and sometimes third tilt at the tropy. 'Mum' seems to just 'be there' from one moment to the next. Me, I'm a bit of a tortoise, making up 'new' words...well new to me...as I go along. I know that if I don't get a good run up before you start at your second 'tilt' you'll just run over the top of me... ;D

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
hello roberts - welcome to yet another new "poster"
Viz

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »
Hey tks Viz!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »
I attribute it mostly to ADD, roberts.  >:D

Plus constant interruptions, like a sudden nap coming on ... annoying telemarkers breaking my train of thought ... and of course, let's not forget that the forum most often switches my concentration and I get lost in the frequent posts.

3-B

...see, just like right now! You are well on your way to a new, yet very HEALTHY, addiction!  ;)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 09:39:48 PM »
Hello, Roberts,
I know what you mean about different styles.... I tend to make a concerted effort, then have a break....which often tends to be fatal......numerous people have bounded up the board and overtaken me! Still, it all adds to the thrill of the chase, don't you think?  :D

roberts

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »
Yes, I do Binkie.

Speaking of 'concentrated effort'...I forgot to register this evening and got up to 50 before a realised I was a dreaded 'anon'...doh! It's going to be one of those nights.

roberts

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
You are so right about different styles....
I punch in as many of the obvious words as i can...dip in and out all day..then when it is nice and quiet at home in the evening, i take my time and go back through, letter by letter, word by word. Saddo that i am, i try and use a 'new' word the following day at work so it sticks in the mush that is my brain...
I hope you are keeping a note of all  the 'new' words...they won't be new for long, for they pop up regularly...you will see....

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 04:42:46 AM »
roberts,
i have gone right off you mate.... >:(
Who invited you anyway..???
That'll teach me to check out the score board...