Author Topic: Word suggestion from 30 Dec. '17 Standard  (Read 1258 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Word suggestion from 30 Dec. '17 Standard
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »
I tried "sexter" and it wasn't accepted. Yes, a modern word and an activity that I haven't indulged in, but I have heard of it!

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/sexter

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sexter

An addition?

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Word suggestion from 30 Dec. '17 Standard
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
Seconded.

I think 'sext', 'sexting' and 'sexted' are already accepted.

an activity that I haven't indulged in,

But then you're not a Hollywood film producer or a British Cabinet Minister, are you?!!

>:D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:35:15 PM by mkenuk »

Les303

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »
I tried "sexter" and it wasn't accepted. Yes, a modern word and an activity that I haven't indulged in, but I have heard of it!

I've also tried it, the word that is, not the activity.(at least, not yet.)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »

But then you're not a Hollywood film producer or a British Cabinet Minister, are you?!!

Talking of cabinet ministers, did you see that Nick Clegg got a knighthood? This is the man who formed an alliance with David Cameron, the man whose overblown hubris brought the country to the mess it’s in today, and in doing so virtually destroyed his own (Clegg’s) political party. If he had a shred of self respect he’d refuse it.

For those not familiar with our ‘honours’ system it’s a farcical event that happens at this time every year where ‘deserving’ people are given awards which are handed out by the queen in an equally ridiculous ceremony. Apparently the bulk of the awards go to people who, it might be argued, genuinely deserve them, for reasons such as services to charity etc., but obviously the focus falls on well-known people who have by and large spent their lives raking in the cash doing jobs they love (e.g. pop stars for services to music). Some of the more egregious awards in previous years have gone to the queen’s personal dresser for god knows what reason, and David Cameron’s barber for ‘services to hairdressing’! Laughable.

(Sorry - this must be one of the quickest ever hijacks of a thread!)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
We added sexted and sexting back in 2011, when the words were quite new. The earliest usage examples I've seen (of sexting) are from 2009. At the time I had a few qualms that the words might disappear from use very quickly. That hasn't happened.

(Sext was already allowed, for its religious meaning as "the fourth of the canonical hours".)

Sexter is in a few dictionaries, including Dictionary.com and the online Oxford. An early usage example is from Slate in 2010:

Too late, he has learned that there's no such thing as texting in secret.

That's the folly of the cheating sexter.

I'll add sexter as a rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites