Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876199 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11595 on: October 12, 2024, 03:59:38 AM »
However, it would be good if GUESTS could give feedback and contribute.  The best way for Guests to contribute would be to join the forum as members. 

But, if they haven’t done so already, there might be a reason.  So I have devised a method by which readers of this thread can easily communicate their views to me and I can pass them on to Alan and other forum members.  I have put an old e-mail address of mine at the bottom of all my posts so that it is easy to send me your views.  It will only be used for discussions about the thread.

For quite some time, I played without registering for the Forum because I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible. By registering for the Forum, I am trusting the email address I used won't be exposed (probably should have used a throwaway email address!). Even now, I don't expose my email address to anyone on the Forum.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11596 on: October 12, 2024, 05:10:12 AM »
That is perfectly understandable, TR, and you will notice I am using a throwaway email address.  Anyone sending to that email would be revealing an email address.  They could use a throwaway address or they could trust me not to reveal it to anyone else.  I can give that assurance but can understand it might not be trusted.

IMHO, Registering for the forum is the way to go and I would recommend that as well to people who decide not to participate in the current information request.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 05:25:58 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11597 on: October 12, 2024, 05:20:25 PM »
I'm just killing a bit of time.   A very quick rebus.  Another great film.

Hi Pen,

I preferred him as a cowboy or tough cop but I always favoured him over Joan Crawford

Goodnight my darlings, I’ll see you tomorrow’ – Noel Coward

The playwright died peacefully in his sleep at his home in Jamaica in 1974, after an evening with friends. A memorial stone was unveiled in Poet’s Corner at Westminster Abbey by the Queen Mother who said: “I came because he was my friend.
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11598 on: October 12, 2024, 05:26:25 PM »
Penny...just a comment on your Peter Siddle fact...I was there. We won tickets in a radio competition. The only test I've ever attended. The atmosphere was amazing as he ran in to bowl! I still get goosebumps when I see footage of it.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11599 on: October 12, 2024, 11:31:01 PM »
What a wonderful memory Moyra.   As I'm sure I've mentioned on at least one previous occasion I was at Trent Bridge in 2005 for the Ashes test.  The atmosphere was incredible.  The banter between the rival fans was brilliant - funny and enjoyable.  I've been to many cricket matches and have never seen a sign of trouble or unpleasantness.
One of the enduring images from back then was this picture of Freddie Flintoff and Brett Lee.  It sums up the spirit of the series.  We had Shane Warne fielding on the boundary in front of us.  He was chatting to the spectators and making people laugh and then went off to bowl like a demon! 

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11600 on: October 13, 2024, 01:08:38 AM »

I preferred him as a cowboy or tough cop but I always favoured him over Joan Crawford

Hi Jack

Bit of an anticlimax today after such an enjoyable day yesterday.  It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday.  Cold and drizzly today.  I have been for a walk and called in for a cuppa on the way back with a couple of friends who lives round the corner.

You might possibly prefer todays offering then!  It's a film that's nearly as old as me.  I'm fairly sure I've never seen it.

6 (#2 + #4) #2 8 (#2 + #6) #4

Please lose the first letter of picture one and the first letter of the first name of the gent in picture three. You need to lose the last letter of picture four and reverse what you have left.  Change the last letter of picture five to something nearer the middle of the alphabet.  Please pretend it's all on one line. 

A man asked his wife, "What would you most like for your birthday?"
She said, "I'd love to be ten again."
On the morning of her birthday, he got her up bright and early and gave her Coco Pops for breakfast. Then they went to Alton Towers. He put her on every ride in the park - Oblivion, Octonauts Rollercoaster, Spinball Whizzer. She had a go on every ride there was. She staggered out of the theme park five hours later, her head reeling and her stomach churning. Then it was off to the pictures for popcorn, fizzy pop and sweets.
At last she staggered home with her husband and collapsed into bed.
Her husband leaned over and asked, "Well, dear, what was it like being ten again?"
One eye opened and she groaned, "Actually, darling, I meant dress size!"

Leave you with the naffest joke I could find  ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11601 on: October 13, 2024, 12:28:00 PM »
You might possibly prefer todays offering then!  It's a film that's nearly as old as me.  I'm fairly sure I've never seen it.

There might be a good reason why you haven't seen it.  It was a very clever rebus but the the film was not much chop.  Our hero of the last several rebuseses admitted in his autobiography that he was ashamed of the picture.  It was never produced on VHS and it was released again for some reason in 2012 on CD.

I came across some interesting trivia while solving the rebus.  Very few people in Australia still recall the name you used for your vegetable.  Nowadays we call it a  Zuchini or sometimes a Courgette, so I am told.

The trivia though is that you Poms have a penchant for seeing how heavy you can  grow them.  According to Wikipedia The heaviest xxxxxx on record weighed 116.4 kg (256 lb 9.8 oz) and was grown by Vincent Sjodin (UK) for entry in the CANNA UK National Giant Vegetables Championships, held at the Three Counties Showground in Malvern, Worcestershire, UK, on 23 September 2021.

Agatha Christie's detective Hercule Poirot often expresses his desire to retire and grow xxxxxxx, accomplishing his dream briefly in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 12:31:06 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11602 on: October 13, 2024, 10:39:14 PM »

I came across some interesting trivia while solving the rebus.  Very few people in Australia still recall the name you used for your vegetable.  Nowadays we call it a  Zuchini or sometimes a Courgette, so I am told.

Hi Jack

It's a lovely sunny morning and I've been for my constitutional  :)

My Mum used to grow both marrows and courgettes on her allotment.  Courgettes here tend to be a lot smaller - not much bigger than a cucumber.  I'm not a fan of them personally.  I find them a bit tasteless.  They're great if you put them in ratatouille which I love.

I thought I'd better change the record today  :laugh:  How about a painting?  It can be found in the National Gallery.

#3 8 (#5 + #3) 9 (#5 + #4)

Please use three consecutive letters from the first name of the lady in picture one.  What is the job of the lady with the snazzy pink blouse in picture two? (6/9) First word and lose the second letter.  You need the first name of the gent on the right in picture three and lose the first letter.  Please lose the fourth letter of picture four and just use the last four letters of picture five.  We're all on one line.  A bonus point if you can name the artist  :)

I've got a cheesy topped roll with corned beef and tomato calling me  :-H  This tickled me  ;D and yes I know it' silly!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11603 on: October 14, 2024, 12:49:51 AM »
It's called Rain, Steam & Speed by J M W Turner.  He also painted amongst other things the painting I will make the subject of a rebus on 12 October 2024 .

And a cracking rebus it turned out to be.

I just received an email from a Canberra friend reminding me what we were doing 45 years ago.  The "Maurers of Rivett"  in the article below were actually Andrew (aged 7) and two colleagues from work and myself.  As we were a make-up family we gave a false address.  The things you will do when you are young and silly and have been drinking beer all afternoon.  The Adults were also honorary members of the West Canberra Australian Rules Football Club that won the beer in the sausage eating contest.

Nostalgia - Click here
I think that is as close as I have ever been to a zucchini.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 01:01:18 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11604 on: October 14, 2024, 05:13:23 AM »

And a cracking rebus it turned out to be.

I think that is as close as I have ever been to a zucchini.

Thanks Jack  :-*

I'd completely forgotten about that escapade.  It made me roar with laughter then and it did the same again today  :laugh:  Love it!
The burning question is 'did you enjoy dinner at the Ulysses restaurant?' It sounds like a great time was had by all  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11605 on: October 14, 2024, 05:39:17 AM »
Hi Elizabeth (Birdie)

I noticed you were on line.  I sent you a message on Facebook some time ago but it probably didn't get through given they have tightened up on delivering message from people  that are not "friends".  I was intersted to see if you are still in coontact with any of the hags and how they are getting on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 11:21:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

2dognight

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11606 on: October 14, 2024, 02:13:49 PM »
The worst meal I had a a toddler was Boiled Marrow with white sauce.
As fast as it went down it came up again dont think my mum to pleased
as it was war time and you ate what you could get hold off never mind the mess to clean up   Now I do enjoy Zucchini flowers stuffed with prawns

After that little preamble I was wondering what the worst meal forumites indulged in

Carol

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11607 on: October 14, 2024, 09:06:15 PM »
After that little preamble I was wondering what the worst meal forumites indulged in

Anything to do with liver, Carol.  Especially the liver we used to have at school.  Makes me shudder just to think of it!  Saying that, I have had food poisoning from an M & S chicken dish but I have a sneaking feeling that I had probably cooked it at the wrong temperature!   >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11608 on: October 14, 2024, 09:11:00 PM »
I was intersted to see if you are still in contact with any of the hags and how they are getting on.

I think I am the only hag who contributes on here, Jack.  Gone are the heady days of hagism, much to many people's delight, I'm sure, but it amused us at the time. Perhaps the hags could be reformed.  I'm sure Pen would be a great head hag!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11609 on: Yesterday at 12:30:43 AM »

I'm sure Pen would be a great head hag!  >:D

I'd love to be a hag Linda but you'd definitely have to be head hag!  I'm far to dithery and indecisive to be head of anything  :laugh: