Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 876209 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11580 on: October 07, 2024, 06:38:52 PM »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: October 08, 2024, 01:45:28 AM »
Hi Jack

Having a bit of a manic Monday! 

I'm going to try a quick and easy rebus.  It's a film from about fifty odd years ago.  It's the only time I've seen 100% on Rotten Tomatoes!

#4 #4 #4

Picture one a verb.  Please change the last letter.  You need to lose the last letter of the second picture and then change the first letter to one nearer the beginning of the alphabet.  Can you remember the nickname of the gent in picture three?  Please change the first letter (ignore the the please).

Nearly home time thank goodness  :-C

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: October 09, 2024, 12:50:20 AM »
Hi Pen,

You couldn’t pick a better topic for me than one with the dook (American pronunciation of Duke) and Paul Newman.

I’ve spent most of the afternoon under the stairs hiding from the thunder and lightning.  Hang on - we haven’t gotten no stairs.  :D

« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 01:18:12 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: October 09, 2024, 02:06:00 AM »

You couldn’t pick a better topic for me than one with the dook (American pronunciation of Duke) and Paul Newman.

I’ve spent most of the afternoon under the stairs hiding from the thunder and lightning.  Hang on - we haven’t gotten no stairs.  :D

Hi Jack

I thought you'd appreciate that film!  I haven't seen it for donkeys years.  Zoe and I watched the Towering Inferno a few weeks back.  Another great Paul Newman film.  She'd never seen it before but we both really enjoyed it.

I loved Pickles - hilarious  :laugh:  Nearly home time hurrah!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 02:14:18 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: October 10, 2024, 12:35:46 AM »
Hi Jack

I have an extra day off today which is great.  I've done a few chores and pushed my trolley round Sainsburys.

I thought I'd try another film today.  It's about 50 odd years old and stars another great actor.

#3 6 (#3 + #3) 5 (#2 + #3) 5

Please use three consecutive letters from picture one. You need to change the first letter of picture three to something nearer the middle of the alphabet.  First name of the boxer on the left in picture four and lose the last letter . What are the people sitting on in picture six?  Please change the first letter.  One homophone and we're all on one line.

Time to get the kettle on.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: October 10, 2024, 01:36:06 AM »
Hi Pen,

This was one of my favorite films although I think I enjoyed his Three Mules for Sister Sara even more.

I must get back to my ugly sleep but here is a reward.

P.S.  Here's a biyt of trivia for you.

Marie Antoinette stepped on her executioner’s foot on her way to the guillotine. Her last words: “Pardonnez-moi, monsieur.”
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 01:40:10 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: October 10, 2024, 04:56:40 AM »

This was one of my favorite films although I think I enjoyed his Three Mules for Sister Sara even more.

I must get back to my ugly sleep but here is a reward.

P.S.  Here's a bit of trivia for you.

Marie Antoinette stepped on her executioner’s foot on her way to the guillotine. Her last words: “Pardonnez-moi, monsieur.”

I totally agree Jack.  I love Three Mules for Sister Sara  :)

I enjoyed my reward thanks  :laugh: and the bit of trivia.  Where on earth do you find these random things?

I'm off to give the little grey cell a small work out!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: October 10, 2024, 12:42:22 PM »
Where on earth do you find these random things?

Hi Pen,

Serendipity.  When I am looking for something on the internet, I find lots of stuff that I find interesting even if it is not relevant to my immediate purpose.  I always ask myself would that interest other readers of the forum and can I use it without making extra work for myself.   If I come come across something that would be interesting but would need extra work I put it in a word file for later use - most of which I never get around to using.  Why is that?  Because June has a point when people ask her what  I am like and she says "He's a lazy bastard".

I forget what I was looking for last night, but I got distracted by an article on last words of famous people.

I don't know much about Marie Antoinette except that she thought people should eat cake which I didn't think was very terrible but history doesn't seem to have been very kind to her.  When I saw the quote I thought that although she was a rum old chook at least she was polite to the end and that I ought to tell you about it.

What it did do was give me a eureka moment when my head finally cleared this morning. 

All of our friends must have their favourite trivia question which might be interesting or amusing for others, so why don't we ask them to share it with us.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 04:35:00 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: October 11, 2024, 02:24:18 AM »

Because June has a point when people ask her what  I am like and she says "He's a lazy bastard".

I forget what I was looking for last night, but I got distracted by an article on last words of famous people.

I don't know much about Marie Antoinette except that she thought people should eat cake which I didn't think was very terrible but history doesn't seem to have been very kind to her.  When I saw the quote I thought that although she was a rum old chook at least she was polite to the end and that I ought to tell you about it.

What it did do was give me a eureka moment when my head finally cleared this morning. 

All of our friends must have their favourite trivia question which might be interesting or amusing for others, so why don't we ask them to share it with us.

Hi Jack

I think that's a great idea  :)  I love bits of trivia - I'll to do a bit of research.

I have to confess that I too am very easily distracted and also can be very lazy when I put my mind to it  >:D  :laugh:

I've had quite a busy day.  I made a couple of shepherds pies this morning and been to the hairdressers this afternoon.  Just got home and made a cuppa.

Here's few bits of trivia I found.

Cricketing legend Alec Stewart’s birthday is the 8th April 1963 i.e. 8/4/63, and the number of test runs that he scored in his career was 8463.

Peter Siddle is the only bowler in international cricket to have taken a hat trick on the same day as his birthday (25th November 2010).

Did you know that Australia is wider than the moon?

and a couple of random questions...

What is coolrophobia?

and, rather ironically, what is hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?

That's all I've got time for.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: October 11, 2024, 06:02:15 AM »
Hi Pen,

I'll respond to your post after breakfast but I wanted to share this post to Facebook from the K9Clan, Bonnie's dogwalkers.

Rain, what rain?!
Bonnie, although drenched, still happy as can be❤️🐕🐾

Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Maudland

• Glossologian
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: October 11, 2024, 08:14:48 AM »
Oh my word, Bonnie is ADORABLE!

Pen stole my trivia question! (About the moon / Australia) so I’ll ask - what was the chainsaw originally designed for - chopping wood, trimming hedges, or helping with childbirth?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: October 11, 2024, 01:08:12 PM »
Hi Pen and Madeleine,

When I raised the trivia idea, I hadn't thought the details through and probably I shouldn't have anyway.  It is up to the trivia originators to define whatever rules they wish.  Is it an interesting fact in which people might do further research if they are interested?  If it is a quiz, is it first-in first-heard or do you want to ask that spoilers not be published for a certain period of time and then reveal the answers in a later post? Is it fair game to use the internet or not? 

I have to tell you I didn't know any of the answers but I am now full bottle on all of them but that is because I have a friend called ET.  I will post you a personal note letting you know what he/she/it told me.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 03:34:20 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: October 11, 2024, 03:54:49 PM »
Hi to FORUMITES and GUESTS who enjoy this thread.

The other night when I looked at who was active  on Chi, I was surprised by how many guests were reading the “Bloody Plurals” thread.

I remembered Alan has advised us that most of those "guests" are not real people. They are automated processes used by the search engines, aka searchbots. There may be some real guests, but not as many as might appear.

However, it would be good if GUESTS could give feedback and contribute.  The best way for Guests to contribute would be to join the forum as members. 

But, if they haven’t done so already, there might be a reason.  So I have devised a method by which readers of this thread can easily communicate their views to me and I can pass them on to Alan and other forum members.  I have put an old e-mail address of mine at the bottom of all my posts so that it is easy to send me your views.  It will only be used for discussions about the thread.

A word on my perceptions the “bloody plurals” thread.  It has become an inclusive band of friends who like and respect each other and who contribute to a greater or lesser degree for the benefit and enjoyment of those who visit it.  All welcome new contributors.  There is no leadership as such, but if you contribute more, you have more influence than those that contribute less.

It should be remembered that the thread is only a sideshow in support of the great work done in the Big Tent by Alan and those who contribute to the purpose of the larger forum.

But the sideshow will only prosper if it gets new blood and contributions that make people happy to visit it.  Otherwise it will fold and so it should.

What sort of feedback is needed from forum members and guests.  This is not prescriptive but some random thoughts are:
  • What have you liked and not liked about the thread?
  • Are there too many or too few rebuses.  Are they too hard? Too easy? Or the right mix?
  • Would you like more repartee, jokes and cartoons, or less?.
  • Would you like to know where contributors come from and what it is like to live there?
  • Guests might tell us why they haven’t joined the forum.
  • Whatever you like – I’ve run out of ideas
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 03:59:36 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: October 11, 2024, 07:22:50 PM »
Oh my word, Bonnie is ADORABLE!

Pen stole my trivia question! (About the moon / Australia) so I’ll ask - what was the chainsaw originally designed for - chopping wood, trimming hedges, or helping with childbirth?

Sorry Madeleine!  Because it's so outlandish and unlikely I'm going to guess the answer to your question is helping with childbirth! It's making me shudder just thinking about it  :laugh:

You're right Bonnie is utterly adorable.  It's a gorgeous picture  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: October 11, 2024, 08:11:43 PM »

When I raised the trivia idea, I hadn't thought the details through and probably I shouldn't have anyway.  It is up to the trivia originators to define whatever rules they wish.  Is it an interesting fact in which people might do further research if they are interested?  If it is a quiz, is it first-in first-heard or do you want to ask that spoilers not be published for a certain period of time and then reveal the answers in a later post? Is it fair game to use the internet or not? 

I have to tell you I didn't know any of the answers but I am now full bottle on all of them but that is because I have a friend called ET.  I will post you a personal note letting you know what he/she/it told me.

Hi Jack

I'm just killing a bit of time while waiting for No1 daughter to put in an appearance. My thought would be that if you're happy to reveal the results after a couple of days that would be fine.  If folks desperately want to know sooner they can use the internet to find out.

A very quick rebus.  Another great film.

#4 #5 #3 #2

You need the first three letters of picture three and then change the vowel.  Please use two consecutive letters from the middle of picture four and we're all on one line. Sorry probably a bit easy peasy!

Following on from Marie Antoinette.  I wonder if you can guess which American Actress uttered these last words.
'Dammit, don't you dare ask God to help me'

I've got my marching orders.  Thought this might tickle you