Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 870982 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11100 on: May 31, 2024, 06:40:14 PM »
I can't make a well-known idiom out of your rebus.  The first four words are obvious  but I can't make anything out of the last two words that seem appropriate.

Seriously Jack? It owes a lot to Australia. Or are you pulling our legs?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: May 31, 2024, 06:42:07 PM »
Hi Pen

Glad the optician went ok - cataracts seem to be one of the joys of getting on a bit, along with creaky joints and brain fog! 

Your friend should definitely find a new dental surgery.  There is no need for a bullying hygienist!  I used to have one who was so rough you felt like you'd been hit in the mouth by Mike Tyson by the time she'd finished.  At least my hygienist is gentle and softly spoken even though she does harp on about 'tufty' brushes!!

Guess what I'm doing today?  Yes, shopping.  Freezer and fridge badly in need of stocking up.  It's a lovely day here but looks ominously cloudy in the Kendal direction so bearing in mind that you got soaked yesterday, I will be taking a raincoat and gamp with me!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: May 31, 2024, 09:01:49 PM »
Sadly you're right Linda.  I hate the brain fog - it drives me crackers  :(

I guessed you'd be shopping today.  I hope you manage to get there and back without getting soaked and don't forget to stock up on the gelato  >:D  It's grey here and howling a gale.  I've just walked to the Co-op to get a paper.  I now look like something the cat dragged in  :laugh:  Don't think I've come across gamp before.  I'm presuming it's a brolly!  If you put a brolly up here it would be inside out within a few seconds  :laugh:

My friend's moved out of Bletchley to Roade near Northampton.  She's going to look for a new dentist in Towcester.  Your previous hygienist sounds a bloody nightmare  :(  You're well rid!  The 'tufty' brushes tickled me and made me laugh.

I've got the other half of the corned beef for lunch today.  Tomatoes again.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: May 31, 2024, 10:59:12 PM »

I can't make a well-known idiom out of your rebus.  The first four words are obvious  but I can't make anything out of the last two words that seem appropriate.

Seriously Jack? It owes a lot to Australia. Or are you pulling our legs?

Hi Jack

I'm trying to decide if Yvonne's right and you're teasing us  ;)

My simple offering today is a book published over a hundred years ago.  There's also a film.

#3 #4 2 #3 #6

Please use three consecutive letters from picture one and also from the first name of the actress in picture two.  Pictures four and five give you the last word and position is vitally important.

I'm short and sweet today  >:D  Having a lovely relaxing massage shortly and I've got a lovely bottle of (pink) sauv blanc chilling in the fridge for ron!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: June 01, 2024, 12:43:19 AM »
Pen - FYI

Sarah or Sairey Gamp, Mrs. Gamp as she is more commonly known, is a nurse in the novel Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens, first published as a serial in 1843–1844.

Mrs. Gamp is dissolute, sloppy and generally drunk. In her long, rambling speeches, she refers constantly to her friend Mrs. Harris as support for her questionable practices. It becomes clear, however, that no such person exists other than as a figment of her imagination. She became a notorious stereotype of untrained and incompetent nurses of the early Victorian era, before the reforms of campaigners like Florence Nightingale.

The caricature was popular with the British public. A type of umbrella became known as a gamp because Mrs. Gamp always carries one, which she displays with "particular ostentation".

So now you know!

Beautiful sunny day in Kendal so didn't need raincoat or gamp.  Now well stocked with all manner of delish food items but still don't know what I'm having for my tea!   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: June 01, 2024, 05:02:56 AM »

Sarah or Sairey Gamp, Mrs. Gamp as she is more commonly known, is a nurse in the novel Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens, first published as a serial in 1843–1844.

So now you know!

Beautiful sunny day in Kendal so didn't need raincoat or gamp.  Now well stocked with all manner of delish food items but still don't know what I'm having for my tea!   >:D

Thanks Linda  :)  When I mentioned it to Zoe she knew what/who you were talking about.

Glad you've had a lovely day up there.  It's been chilly, grey and windy here.  I actually put the heating on for half an hour earlier  :o
Hope you enjoyed whatever you had for tea.  Least you had plenty of choice  :laugh:  We had a curry delivered and it was scrummy but there was far too much of it.  It beat us both!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: June 01, 2024, 09:12:50 AM »
I'm trying to decide if Yvonne's right and you're teasing us  ;)

Hi Pen and Yvonne,

I was not pulling your leg.  I was just too thick to realise that "turn upside-down" was meant to be a synonym of "turn back-to-front" or "reverse" or even "make anagram" or that the answer was not meant to be a well-known idiom but a mixture of two related idioms.

I'll have a look at the latest rebus and see if I can do better with it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 09:23:47 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: June 01, 2024, 09:42:27 AM »
I got the answer, but I cannot see how the clue for picture 2 is right.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 01:32:46 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: June 01, 2024, 11:19:50 AM »

It's right....if the spelling of her name is not the "right" spelling.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: June 01, 2024, 11:21:05 AM »
And, more importantly, we got to the answer!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: June 01, 2024, 11:59:28 AM »
You're almost there once you twig the bat and the tree.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 01:31:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: June 02, 2024, 12:05:29 AM »

I was not pulling your leg.  I was just too thick to realise that "turn upside-down" was meant to be a synonym of "turn back-to-front" or "reverse" or even "make anagram" or that the answer was not meant to be a well-known idiom but a mixture of two related idioms.

Hi Jack

A thousand apologies.   Rather than saying 'turn it upside down' for picture five in my previous rebus I should have been clearer and simply said reverse it.  I was doing my usual trick of trying to be a clever dick and make it a bit trickier.  I thought it was an idiom sorry.  My Dad used to say it and I didn't check to see if it was correct - I just assumed it was  :-R  The clue for picture two in my last rebus was incorrect.  I wrongly assumed the actress spelt her name Katherine and didn't take the time to check properly.  So all in all not my greatest efforts.  Sorry  :(

I'm going to risk a puzzle today with no little trepidation.

It's a record from the 1970's.

#3 '#1' #5

Please use the first letter of the surname of the gent in picture two.  You need the nickname of the tennis player in picture three.

by
#6 #3

Picture one is former cricketer and commentator David Lloyd.  You need his nickname and change the first letter.
Both puzzles are straightforward on one line and, hopefully, error free.

I'm in need of a cuppa.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: June 02, 2024, 11:24:56 AM »
Hi Pen,

My rebus is an idiom recognised by Google.  With a different first word, it is also a well-known proverb.

Conceptually one line.  The comma in the centre is not pictured.

Word 1 (3).   Picture 2.   Any one.  Make anagram

Word 2 (2).  Positional preposition.

Word 3.
Component 1 (3). Picture 1 (5).  Discard the first and last letter.
Component 2 (2). Picture 3 (4).  Use the first and last letter.

Word 4.
Component 1 (2). Picture 3.  Use the middle letters.
Component 2 (4). Picture 4 (9). Use the first letters.

Word 5 (2).  Picture 2.  Discard the first letter.

Word 6.
Component 1 (3). Picture 5.
Component 2 (4) . Picture 6 (5).  Make Homophone. 

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: June 02, 2024, 10:08:17 PM »

My rebus is an idiom recognised by Google.  With a different first word, it is also a well-known proverb.

Hi Jack

That was a cracking rebus  :)  I got it at the third time of asking  :laugh:

It's a beautiful day here.  Lovely to see a bit of sunshine.  My washing's on the line and I've been invited next door for a barbecue this afternoon  :)  I'll probably be fighting Lucki for the grub  :laugh:

My rebus is an English proverb from several hundred years ago.

#5 #2 #4 #2 #4 #3 1 #5 #2 1 #4

AA
Pictures two and eight you need the middle two letters of the tool. Either one of picture three and please change the first letter to one nearer the end of the alphabet. Past tense for picture five and ignore the dog & the man in picture seven.  Surname of gent in picture nine and there are three homophones and we're all on one line.

That's all from me.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: June 03, 2024, 05:00:37 PM »
I got it at the third time of asking  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

I notice this is one of your favourite expressions. I think I know what it means, and I particularly liked your rebus because I got it at the first time of asking.

We had a pleasant 3 days celebrating June's Birthday which was on Friday. We spread the celebrations over 3 days because the Cleveland mob had a lot of commitments on Friday and Saturday.  On Friday night, June and Andrew went to a performance of Disney's Frozen by the Ormiston College Junior school while I dog sat..  The cast had more than 100 students performing.  One of my grandsons was one of the lead performers.  The other grandson son who is in the secondary school volunteered to assist in the stage management. There were two further two performances on Saturday and so we had our family celebration on Sunday.

I am currently binge reading Mick Heron's Slow Horse series.

Regards, Jack