Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 870984 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11055 on: May 20, 2024, 10:40:20 PM »
My rebus is far removed from sunny Italy.
A bonus point if you can tell me how it is more commonly known

Hi Pen,

I can’t deny that the bridge is far from Venice but they have one with the name that would win me the bonus point adjacent to the Doge’s Palace.

Cambridge University also has one.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:49:03 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: May 21, 2024, 01:08:07 AM »

I can’t deny that the bridge is far from Venice but they have one with the name that would win me the bonus point adjacent to the Doge’s Palace.

Cambridge University also has one.

I didn't realise there was one in Cambridge as well Jack.  Perhaps I should be extra generous and award you two bonus points  >:D  :laugh:

Nearly home time thank heavens.  Been a busy old day and I'm flagging a bit and gasping for a cuppa!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: May 21, 2024, 09:09:11 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm girding my loins for a busy morning on fracture clinic.  Only one solitary patient in the waiting room at the moment.

It's
3 #4 6 #3 #5

THETHE
Please swap the middle two letters of picture one.
That's a bit of silliness done with  :laugh:

My proper rebus is linked to yesterday's.  It's an episode of a detective series.

#7 #2 #3 #3 #4

Please ignore the food in picture two.  Lose the last two letters of what you have left and then swap the remaining two letters round. (apparently it's all the rage in trendy restaurants now  :laugh:)  Second word of picture four and use three consecutive letters.  Past tense for picture five and change the first letter.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

Neologism - Alternative Meanings for Common Words
Here are a few examples:
1. Glibido (v): All talk and no action.
2. Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.
3. Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.
4. Gargoyle (n.), olive-flavoured mouthwash.
5. Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.
6. Arachnoleptic fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after you've accidentally walked through a spider web.
7. Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.

Nearly lunchtime thank heavens  :-H  This tickled me  ;D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:11:47 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: May 21, 2024, 10:51:51 PM »
Hi Pen,

I had a go at your rebus and couldn't get anywhere.  There are two many variables for me to lose sleep over. If anybody else can get it they might give me a hint in the right direction.

I have an easy-peasy one in response.  it is a cemetery near Rome.

Word 1.  3 letters. First letters of Picture 4. (8 letters)

Word 2.  9 Letters. Picture 5.  First name of politician, at one time world record holding runner.

Word 3. 3 letters.
 Component 1. 3 letters. Picture 6.
 Component 2. Second letter of component 1.
 Component 3. 5 letters. Picture 7

Word 4.  5 letters.  Position preposition. Not Pictured.

Word 5. 3 letters.  Definite article not pictured

Word 6.
 Component 1. 3 letters. Picture 1 (5 letters).  Use first letters.
 Component 2. 3 letters. Picture 2 (8 letters) Not who but what.  Use last letters.

Word 7. 3 letters. Homophone of Picture 3. Verb  (5 letters)

We had our flu shots and COVID booster on Saturday.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 06:38:10 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: May 22, 2024, 09:25:32 AM »
Hi Jack. I got the gist of your rebus quite quickly...took me a little while to get the details...a good one. I  struggled with Penny's rebus last night and this morning it jumped off the screen and hit me right between the eyes. I'll be interested to know if that happened to you, too.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: May 22, 2024, 12:32:13 PM »
Hi Moira,

I worked out a shortlist for the first word and worked out the next two from the clue and had a shortlist for the fifth.  I had to resort to looking through some episode lists of shows that I know Pen likes.  Came up blank with Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Miss Marple, Miami Vice but hit the Jackpot with Inspector Morse.  I haven't bothered to work out how you get the answer from the fourth picture.

I am in awe of your ability to have it jump off the screen and hit you right between the eyes.

Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: May 22, 2024, 02:48:25 PM »
SPOILER....theatre
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: May 22, 2024, 05:01:04 PM »
So obvious when you know the answer, but I doubt I would have thought of it in a month of Sundays even though operation was one of the options I considered.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: May 22, 2024, 06:09:00 PM »
... and a very fine episode it is, too!   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: May 22, 2024, 07:47:28 PM »
... and a very fine episode it is, too!   >:D

How right you are Linda!  I re-watched it a couple of nights ago.  Why aren't you at the airport ready to check in?  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: May 22, 2024, 08:45:37 PM »
So obvious when you know the answer, but I doubt I would have thought of it in a month of Sundays even though operation was one of the options I considered.

My proper rebus is linked to yesterday's.  It's an episode of a detective series.

Hi Jack

I'm so sorry I seem to have given you the run around :(  I though my clue hinting back to the Bridge of Sighs in Oxford the previous day might have helped point you towards Morse.  As my Dad would have said 'You know what though did!'  I have no idea what on earth that means  :laugh:  You're rebus was a cracker  :)

Hopefully my offering today will be more straightforward.  It's a land form in the county of Somerset.

11 (#4 + #3 + #4)  #3

Please ignore the wine in picture one and lose the last letter of what you're left with.  You need the last three letters of picture two.  Any one of picture three and make a homophone.  Please lose the first and last letters of picture four ( five letters) and pretend it's all on one line.

Short and sweet today!  It's nearly time for me to go to lunch  :-H
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 12:24:48 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: May 23, 2024, 11:37:58 AM »
As my Dad would have said 'You know what thought did!'  I have no idea what on earth that means  :laugh: 

Hi Pen,
Quote from: IT
The expression “You know what thought did!” is a catchphrase addressed to someone who has just made a foolish mistake and attempted to excuse themselves by saying, “But I thought…”. Its origin traces back to British English, and it has variations like “Followed a muck cart, and thought it was a wedding” or “planted a feather and thought it would grow into a hen.” The original form was “What did thought do?” and was exemplified in Jonathan Swift’s Polite Conversation in 1738. So, next time someone makes a blunder, you can humorously respond with this quirky phrase.

The answer I grew up with was not so polite and could be paraphrased as “When he passed wind, he had a bowel movement and fouled himself”  to which the further response was “but he only thought he did”.

So, Rishi Sunak has officially called a UK election for July 4. That’s quite the political rollercoaster!   I expect your reaction will be like that of Brenda from Bristol who became an internet sensation during the 2017 United Kingdom snap general election. In a viral video, she reacted to the announcement of the election with a memorable line: “You’re joking. Not another one!” Her candid frustration resonated with many people who were exhausted by politics in the post-Brexit period. Brenda’s enduring wisdom lives on, reminding us that sometimes, even elections can feel like déjà vu!.  Given that you don’t have compulsory voting like we do, I imagine the turnout could be quite low.

Hey, Pen, I found a t-shirt for you.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: May 23, 2024, 09:58:03 PM »
My offering today will be more straightforward. 

Hi again Pen,

I don't think my rebus could me more straightforward than to give you  a single word with two meanings: a pretentious person; and a weapon of war.

Component 1 (3). Picture 1 (5 ) Use the first letters

Component 2 (3). Picture 2.  Replace the last letter with the one after it in the Alphabet,

Component 3 (4). Picture 3 (6 2 5). Use the first letters of the first word and reverse them.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: May 24, 2024, 12:16:55 AM »
Quote from: IT
The expression “You know what thought did!” is a catchphrase addressed to someone who has just made a foolish mistake and attempted to excuse themselves by saying, “But I thought…”. Its origin traces back to British English, and it has variations like “Followed a muck cart, and thought it was a wedding” or “planted a feather and thought it would grow into a hen.” The original form was “What did thought do?” and was exemplified in Jonathan Swift’s Polite Conversation in 1738. So, next time someone makes a blunder, you can humorously respond with this quirky phrase.

Hi Jack

That was really interesting. I never thought to actually look it up!  I just assumed it was something my Dad said that he'd made up or something obscure that Yorkshire folks said  :laugh:

I don't think my rebus could me more straightforward than to give you  a single word with two meanings: a pretentious person; and a weapon of war.

It was a great rebus  :)  I did get slightly diverted for a little while as I was convinced the second picture was marmalade  :-R

I haven't got a lot of time so my rebus is quite simple (I hope!)  It's an opera.

#3 13 (#3 + #2 + #8)

How would you refer to either of the gents in picture one (five letters).  Please lose the first two letters. Please lose the last letter of picture two and you're looking for the first name of the actor in picture three and lose the first letter.  First word of picture four and make a homophone and we're all on one line.

I love that t-shirt in your earlier post - would suit me down to the ground :laugh:  Wonder where I can get one from!

Time I wasn't here.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: May 24, 2024, 12:26:09 AM »
Jack has kindly pointed out a couple of errors in my previous rebus.  I have now rectified these and am very sorry for any confusion caused  :-[