Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 870939 times)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #11010 on: May 05, 2024, 10:39:59 AM »
Loved the Heinous Deficiencies and the Seven Dwarves of Old Age. I can always turn to your posts to start my day with a laugh, Jack.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: May 05, 2024, 11:53:41 PM »
Hi Jack

It's another lovely, sunny day here :)  Two gorgeous days over a bank holiday weekend.  Almost unheard of! I've made a couple of shepherds pies and been for a walk and my washing is on the line.  I know how to live life on the edge  :laugh:

My rebus today is a book published in the 1930's.  It's the first full length novel by a well known English author.

#4 #3 #3 2 #5 #3 #6

Not very much to add except to say that position is vitally important. Oh and please have a bonus point for the author.

A lady was having a passionate affair with an inspector from a pest-control company. One afternoon they were carrying on in the bedroom together when her husband arrived home unexpectedly. "Quick," said the woman to her lover, "into the wardrobe!", and she pushed him into the cupboard stark naked. The husband, however, became suspicious and after a search of the bedroom discovered the man in the wardrobe. "Who the devil are you?" he asked him.
"I'm an inspector from Bugs-B-Gone," said the exterminator.
What are you doing in there?" the husband asked.
I'm investigating a complaint about an infestation of moths," the man replied.
"And where are your clothes?" asked the husband.
The man looked down at himself and said, "Of my god those little sods!" 

Just had a Spitfire fly over my house  :)

Leave you with a daft joke and this...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 11:55:31 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: May 06, 2024, 12:00:20 AM »
Hi Pen,

I hope you are a believer of less is more.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: May 06, 2024, 12:41:52 AM »
My rebus today is a book published in the 1930's.  It's the first full length novel by a well known English author.
please have a bonus point for the author.

By George that was a cracking rebus.  Aw Well , thanks for the bonus point.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: May 06, 2024, 04:07:31 AM »

Parsimonious with clues of Bletchley

By George that was a cracking rebus.  Aw Well , thanks for the bonus point.

Hi Again Jack

In my defence I did chuck in a couple of vague hints to picture one in my cartoons!  Without giving the game away I didn't know what else to add.  Pleased you liked your bonus point  >:D  :laugh:

I hope you are a believer of less is more.

I most definitely am  :)  A very enjoyable and funny post  :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: May 06, 2024, 01:29:48 PM »
Hi Paula,

I thought the picture on our calendar for May was particularly cute, so I thought I would post it with a poem from ET about Border Collies.

In the land where the wattle blooms, under skies so vast and heart,
There's a tale of the sheepdog trials, where the Border Collies start.
With a coat of brown and white, or black and white they stride,
Blue Merle or tricolour, they wear their marks with pride.

They dash through the grass, with eyes so keen and bright,
Guiding the woolly flock, from morning until night.
No sheep can stray, no lamb can wander lost,
For the Border Collies rule, no matter what the cost.

They're the shepherds' mates, in the sunburnt country wide,
From the dusty plains to the mountain's rugged side.
With a whistle and a shout, they weave their clever spell,
In the dance of sheep and dog, that the bush folks know so well.

So here's to the Border Collies, with their hearts so bold and true,
Whether brown, black, or blue, they'll never leave you blue.
They're more than just a shepherd's aid, they're part of the bush lore,
Border Collies rule the roost, now and forevermore.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 01:31:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: May 06, 2024, 02:36:55 PM »
Simply transfixing.

They are the ice cream of dogs!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: May 06, 2024, 03:07:01 PM »
Hi  Pen,

Those of our readers who have followed the adventures of Ruby since she joined the Cleveland mob may be interested to learn that if all goes well she will become a mum in about nine weeks.

My last rebus was about the first book in DCI Tom Morris series which I had just started reading.  I have now finished reading it and it was fantastic.  I am now up to Chapter 10 in the second of the series and it is shaping up to be even better.  Moyra please note.

Another series I particularly liked is the Mags Munroe Series by Jean Grainger. It is a captivating collection of novels that follow the adventures of Mags Munroe, a policewoman in the seemingly tranquil town of Ballycarrick, Ireland. Mags, who is also the local police sergeant, enjoys the peacefulness of her town, where the most significant concern is her daughter’s complaints about the lack of excitement. However, Mags’ life takes a dramatic turn when an unthinkable crime occurs, plunging her into a mystery that she must unravel..  The series is known for its blend of humour, mystery, and the everyday challenges of Mags as she balances her personal life with her professional duties. It’s a series that promises laughter, suspense, and a touch of the extraordinary in the ordinary life of Sergeant Munroe.  I particularly liked the way the problems of menopause and the problems of a decent family of travellers are handled with delicacy.  The fourth book in the series has just been released.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 03:12:23 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: May 06, 2024, 11:48:55 PM »

I thought the picture on our calendar for May was particularly cute, so I thought I would post it with a poem from ET about Border Collies.

Those of our readers who have followed the adventures of Ruby since she joined the Cleveland mob may be interested to learn that if all goes well she will become a mum in about nine weeks.

Hi Jack

Our beautiful sunny weather has gone  :(  I put my sheets on the line before lunch and within 10 minutes in was piddling down  :-R  Thankfully I did get a walk in earlier on.

Paula's right - the picture from your calendar is gorgeous - very glad you shared it.  I enjoyed the poem  :)  That's very exciting news about Ruby.  We can look forward to lots of lovely pictures of very cute puppies. 

My offering today is an episode of a programme beloved of Linda and myself!

#3 8 (#4 + #4) #2 #7 #5

Please ignore the gent in picture one and use the first three letters of what you're left with. First name of gent in picture two and change the first letter to something nearer the middle of the alphabet. Do you know the name of Mr McCartney's group in picture three? Please lose the first letter.  Please lose the first letter of the full English in picture four and pretend it's all on one line.

Back to work tomorrow and it's going to be a busy one I suspect.  I'm off to put the kettle on.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: May 07, 2024, 03:52:40 AM »
Don't you usually say "and bung in an apostrophe" in Picture 5?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 04:00:18 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: May 07, 2024, 07:18:27 AM »
You're right Jack. Very remiss of me! Sorry!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: May 07, 2024, 02:17:37 PM »
That's very exciting news about Ruby.  We can look forward to lots of lovely pictures of very cute puppies. 

Hi Pen,

I hope you are right, but things are not totally in our control. I didn’t explain the situation surrounding Ruby’s acquisition.  After their experience with Dusty, the Cleveland mob still wanted a dog but were also worried about making a permanent commitment without a trial run. Ruby’s breeder gave them an offer which they thought was a perfect compromise.  The Cleveland mob would foster Ruby and if it didn’t work out the breeder would take Ruby back.  If it did work out then the breeder would retain ownership of Ruby until she had two litters, and the breeder would own the pups but then would transfer ownership of Ruby to the Cleveland mob.  Ruby would return to the breeder for the birth of each litter of pups and the following nine weeks.

The advantages for Cleveland mob was they got to prove that Ruby was a perfect match for them and in the longer term they got a very expensive dog for free.

I expect the breeder will provide pictures of the pups.

Rules proposed by the Rt Hon Jacob Rees-Mogg, M.P.,Esq.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 02:29:52 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: May 08, 2024, 04:11:01 AM »

I hope you are right, but things are not totally in our control. I didn’t explain the situation surrounding Ruby’s acquisition.  After their experience with Dusty, the Cleveland mob still wanted a dog but were also worried about making a permanent commitment without a trial run. Ruby’s breeder gave them an offer which they thought was a perfect compromise.  The Cleveland mob would foster Ruby and if it didn’t work out the breeder would take Ruby back.  If it did work out then the breeder would retain ownership of Ruby until she had two litters, and the breeder would own the pups but then would transfer ownership of Ruby to the Cleveland mob.  Ruby would return to the breeder for the birth of each litter of pups and the following nine weeks.

The advantages for Cleveland mob was they got to prove that Ruby was a perfect match for them and in the longer term they got a very expensive dog for free.

I expect the breeder will provide pictures of the pups.

Hi Jack 

Had a busy day and feeling a bit knacked now  :-Y

That's sounds like a brilliant idea.  The Cleveland Mob get the best of both worlds - it's a win win for them  :)  The only small snag is they'll miss Ruby when she's away for 9 weeks.  I wonder how Dusty is doing now.

I'm going to give the little grey cell a small work out and then watch the last of the current series of Professor T.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: May 10, 2024, 12:42:21 AM »
G'day Jack

Greetings from a very balmy Bletchley!  It's very warm and sunny - about 21oc.  I had an unexpected and unplanned day off yesterday.  A friend who I haven't seen for a while took me to Dunstable Downs.  It was lovely - the views are gorgeous.  We walked for miles (probably only a couple but it felt like a long way  :laugh:) and watched the gliders taking off and then went to the cafe for lunch.
The hot spell is meant to last until Sunday and then we're back to normal Spring weather on Monday!

My rebus today is an opera.

#3 7 (#2 +#5) #2 8 (#3 + #5)

You need the animal on the left in picture one and use three consecutive letters. For picture two you need an alternative to dunk - three letters.  Please reverse it and then lose the final letter. Please use the surname of the character with the knife in picture three and replace the first letter with one nearer the end of the alphabet.  Please assume that's Mum in picture five. Present tense for picture six and lose the first letter.  Change the first letter of what you're left and please pretend it's all on one line.

On Scottish beaches that look tropical: “Scotland. It’s a beautiful place. The water is almost turquoise. It looks like the Caribbean. You soon realise it’s not the Caribbean when the water touches your scrotum and you go for the high jump record.”

"A bird in the hand invariably s***s on your wrist."

"Why do people say 'Oh you want to have your cake and eat it too?' Dead right! What good is a cake if you can't eat it"

Leave you with a bit of wisdom from Billy Connolly  ;D

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 12:47:25 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: May 10, 2024, 10:05:40 PM »
A friend who I haven't seen for a while took me to Dunstable Downs.  We walked for miles.

Hi Pen,

Did you outpace the slow-worms which are one of six reptile species native to the UK.  ;) Despite their name and appearance, they're neither worm nor snake, but in fact a legless lizard.

My rebus is a relatively new English church which was founded around 1110, although its interior dates chiefly from the late 18th century.  The church graveyard was used as a setting in Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula.

Word 1 ( 5 ). Picture 1 ( 3 5 )  Role,  Second Word.

Word 2 ( 5 ). Apostrophe not counted or pictured
  • Component 1 ( 1 ) Picture 2.  Codename in Bond films.
  • Component 2 ( 4 )  Picture 3 ( 5 5 ).  Mal B’s Pseudonym.  Discard first two letters of word 1 and last 4 letters of word 2
Word 3 ( 6 ).
  • Component 1 ( 4 ). Picture 4 ( 5).  Birth Surname.  Discard last letter.
  • Component 2 ( 2 ). Picture 5 ( 6 ). Adopted Surname. Discard first 4 Letters. 

Additional clues available on request

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:21:16 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack