Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 824085 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10920 on: April 13, 2024, 09:27:01 PM »
That sounds wonderful Christine.  I would love to visit the Lakes.  I'm not brave enough to attempt the drive but I can easily get from MK to Oxenholme on the train.  The problem I'd have is how I'd get about once I got there.  It must be about 18 years since I last visited.  I do remember Zoe and I went on a tour in a minibus which was advertised as 'It's better by goat'.  It picked us up near our B&B in Kendal and took us to loads of different places.  It was brilliant.  I really do need to get out of my comfort zone!
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: April 13, 2024, 10:11:40 PM »
Barbs and her husband John have both gone to get their cataracts done today so I wont be seeing her for a few days.
I'm having a change from railways today. My offering is a film from the 1960's.

^8  ^9    ^16 ^5 ^14,

If their experience is like that of some my mates that have had their cataracts fixed, they will be delighted with the result.  Give them my best wishes when you next see them.

It was a good rebus but I'll make a bet that you won't have seen the picture because I know sci-fi horror is not quite your cup of tea.

I desperately need a good night's sleep, so no rebus tonight.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 02:47:15 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: April 13, 2024, 10:16:12 PM »
That would have been The Mountain Goat bus, Pen.  About time you paid a re-visit to the beautiful Lake District and bought some gingerbread in Grasmere but not the mint cake in Kendal unless you want your teeth to fall out!  We are going to Bologna next month so plenty of the real spag bol for us not to mention a glass or two of the Pignoletto.  Flying direct from Edinburgh so should be there within 3 hours which is good as I get so bored on planes, only enjoy the take off but rather dread the effect the landing has on my ears!  Ciao!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: April 13, 2024, 11:31:35 PM »
Ciao Linda.  I can never get my head round that being hello and goodbye  :laugh:

Has the Mountain Goat bus gone?  :(  I tried Kendal Mint cake once.  Not an experience I ever want to repeat!  I do love gingerbread though.

I envy you your trip to Bologna.  Lovely grub and great wine  :)   I wish I got bored on a plane rather than scared witless.  Zoe has problems with her ears when flying.  A few years ago she did a parachute jump for charity.  When she jumped out of the plane she said the pain in her ears was excruciating.  You drop really quickly for a little while before the chute opens and the change in pressure plays havoc with your ears apparently.

I really ought to see about getting some time off work so I can return to the Lakes and meet you for a cuppa  :)

We have a treat tomorrow night.  A new Midsomer  :)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: April 14, 2024, 12:03:49 AM »
Hi Penny
Mountain Goat Tours still exist and are seen around the Lakes most times we venture out. I think it is a popular way to get around. Currently there are offers on bus ticket prices too which are a great way to get to Keswick and Grasmere etc  from Kendal (or anywhere on that route) and as they are capped at only £2 they don't break the bank. I think there are other routes around the area too . Christine

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: April 14, 2024, 12:32:43 AM »
We have a treat tomorrow night.  A new Midsomer

A birthday treat for me!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: April 14, 2024, 12:42:47 AM »

If their experience is like that of some my mates that have had their cataracts fixed, they will be delighted with the result.  Give them my best wishes when you next see them.

It was a good rebus but I'll make a bet that you won't have seen the picture because I know sci-fi horror is not quite your cup of tea.

Hi Jack

Yet another lovely Spring day.  Going to be a shock when the weather goes back to normal in the next day or two.

I had a message from Barbs a little while ago to say they were both fine today and they were enjoying a coffee sitting in the garden.  I passed on your best wishes and they were chuffed  :)

How well you know me  :laugh:  Your money's quite safe as I definitely wouldn't watch that film in a million years!!

My rebus today is a film released when I was about a year old.

#3 #3 #2 9 (#4 + #5)

You need the first name of the gent in picture one and please lose the first letter. Picture two how are the Police force known? Please lose the first three letters of picture three.  Any one of picture four and substitute the first two letters with one different letter.  Please change the first letter of picture five and it's all on one line.

That's all from me.  The kettle's calling...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: April 14, 2024, 12:45:30 AM »

Mountain Goat Tours still exist and are seen around the Lakes most times we venture out. I think it is a popular way to get around. Currently there are offers on bus ticket prices too which are a great way to get to Keswick and Grasmere etc  from Kendal (or anywhere on that route) and as they are capped at only £2 they don't break the bank. I think there are other routes around the area too . Christine

Thanks Christine that's great and worth knowing  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: April 14, 2024, 12:47:07 AM »

A birthday treat for me!!  >:D

Best Birthday pressie you could ask for  :laugh:  >:D
Hope Hubby's going to treat you as well  ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: April 14, 2024, 09:22:18 AM »
It's always interesting to see what others may "struggle" with in the rebus. I had very little difficulty with Penny's latest puzzle

Hi Pen,

This was the one I had some difficulty with decoding the pictures because of the number of possibilities of legitimate words when substituting an unspecified letter.  I think I counted 8.  I thought you weren't giving the suckers an even break.

Well Moyra probably did not have to struggle with your last rebus even though your picture 5 could have 11 letters you could substitute to make legitimate words.  I was also struggling identifying the base of picture 4 with the owls.  With picture 3, I was trying to identify the action.

But I was lucky.  I guessed the movie from pictures 1 and 2 because I remembered seeing it decades ago and then with that knowledge and looking at the rest of the clues, they were superbly logical.

It just reinforces my previous admissions that I am not good at solving cryptic problems.  Am I the only one?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 11:50:29 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: April 14, 2024, 10:31:25 AM »
I'm about to say something I don't remember saying before. Jack, you're wrong! I am struggling with Penny's rebus...just can't get my head around it at all. (I still don't know the surname of the heroine in the previous rebus...even though I solved the puzzle.)

Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: April 14, 2024, 10:52:50 AM »
Hi Moyra,

I am quite often wrong, so you must have bitten your tongue many times. ;)

The heroine in the previous rebus was Penelope Pitstop.

I will send you a private message with a few hints on the current rebus of things that I only realised after I knew the answer.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: April 14, 2024, 09:32:42 PM »
Hi Pen,

It has been a hectic weekend.  We have had Ruby over all weekend as the Cleveland mob took a break down the Coast before the boys go back to school.  I have been trying to master the new air-dryer.

For my rebus, I researched grand walks, trails and tramps in the UK, Europe and New Zealand.  But then it occurred to me that as you are a great walker, I should pick one you could go on.  In fact, you may already have done so. 

It is approximately 3.3 kilometres (around 2 miles) and you should do it in about 40 minutes to an hour, depending on your pace.  I don’t think it has a formal name and is just known by its beginning and end places.

Word 1.
  Component 1 (3).  Picture 1. (4).   Discard the last letter and then reverse the letters.
  Component 2 (3).  Picture 2. (3)
Word 2 (4).  Picture 3 (4).     
Word 3 (2).  Picture 4 (4). Use the first letters.
Word 4.
  Component 1 (3). Picture 5 (4). Surname of the VP.  Use the first letters.
  Component 2 (4). Picture 6 (4).  It’s not chip.
Word 5 (4).  Picture 7 (5). Use first letters.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 02:52:47 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: April 14, 2024, 11:08:43 PM »

I thought you weren't giving the suckers an even break.

Well Moyra probably did not have to struggle with your last rebus even though your picture 5 could have 11 letters you could substitute to make legitimate words.  I was also struggling identifying the base of picture 4 with the owls.  With picture 3, I was trying to identify the action.

Hi Jack

I'm so sorry.  I'll be more thoughtful with my hints in future.  I was going to use Daphne from Frasier for picture four of my last puzzle but thought that was too obvious :-R  I should have mentioned the Owl and the Pussycat and that might have helped.  I have no excuse for the fifth picture other than I loved the fact that the kitten was trying to beat up the dog and failing miserably and the dog just gently batted it away.  It wasn't much of a punch up though sorry  :(

My rebus today is a song which is sung by the crowd at a London Football Club.

#4 #3

Please use the surname of the gent in picture one and change the first letter to one near the end of the alphabet.

#1'1 7 (#3 + #4) #7 #7

'
You need Judy Dench's character in picture two.  Please use the formal title of Rowan Atkinson's character* in picture four (8 letters) and use four consecutive letters please.  Present tense for picture five and move the fourth letter back a couple of places.  Picture six is a famous telescope.  Please change the first letter to one near the beginning of the alphabet and bung an s on the end.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

*I watched the film Keeping Mum a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it  :)

Do you ever wonder...
Why no one is ever just right amount of whelmed?

This is really daft but it tickled me  ;D

Just spotted your post.  Will finish this and have a proper look  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 11:19:13 PM by Hobbit »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: April 14, 2024, 11:53:02 PM »
 This rings a lot of bells.Having had 7 dogs in the last 50 plus years I have spent my life saying "wait there a minute" followed by "shift" when they decide to accompany me anyway! The current cocker is probably the most clingy of them all. Christine.