Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 871132 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10575 on: February 02, 2024, 03:24:26 AM »

You’re doing a ripper job of talkin’ like an Aussie, but the lingo we use to say most things is only fair dinkum for those born here. I reckon it might be a bonza idea for me to keep pretendin’ I’m a match for a flash, smooth Pom even if I don’t quite pull it off. I’ve even had a crack at talkin’ like a Yorkshireman, but it was as useless as tits on a bull.

G'day Jack

Alright me 'ol cobber?  I think you're more than a match for anyone  ;)  I'm going to revert to my Buckinghamshire ways.  Less likely to offend anyone  >:D    Another great selection today  :laugh:

It's a beautiful day and I've been out to lunch with Gill, an old work colleague. We went to Frosts Garden Centre and I had croque monsieur, big chunky chips and salad.  It was delish  :)  Gill has a dog called Rosco - very similar spelling to the one in Pickles.

Here's a quick and easy rebus as I still have a few chores waiting for me.  I'd rather do that than get the hoover out!
It's a book and a song.

#4 #3#5 6 (#4 + #2)

Please lose the last two letters of picture one and use three consecutive letters from the middle of picture two. You need to think about Danny la Rue's attire in picture four.  Please use the middle two letters of picture five and pretend it's all on one line.

I can't put it off any longer  :laugh:

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #10576 on: February 02, 2024, 11:47:00 AM »
We went to Frosts Garden Centre and I had croque monsieur, big chunky chips and salad.

Hi Pen

I'm intrigued by the fondness for combined gift shops and restaurants masquerading as garden centres in the UK. I went to Henry Street Garden Centre in Reading with friends in November, and it seemed to be more about Christmas decorations, coffee and cake than about plants. Possibly something to do with it being nearly winter though, and I did have a good time and bought some Christmas gifts that I haven't seen in Australia.

Yvonne   

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: February 02, 2024, 06:02:20 PM »
We went to Frosts Garden Centre and I had croque monsieur, big chunky chips and salad.  It was delish  :) 

Hi Pen,

Speaking of adopting foreign idioms, as we were yesterday, I find that you can come up with some surprises.  I have often found that what I thought were genuine Aussie expressions originated in the north of England or from those born or living "within the sound of the church bells of St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside, in the City of London.   

A more recent example is “putting on the dog”, which I thought was unique to Aussie Lingo, actually came from the Deep South of America during  the Civil War but that these days most of the people coming from there would not know what it meant.  We Aussies pinch things and claim them as ours while the originators have got a life and left them behind. You know like Russell Crowe.

Sometimes literal translations can lead you astray.  I couldn’t understand why you were taken with a “crunchy gentleman” when I thought that  a carved ham and cheese slices sarnie covered with a white sauce made from milk, flour, butter, salt, and pepper and baked in the oven until golden and bubbling, would have been more your style.

But don’t take any notice of what I have been saying because it is all a crock.  No, I have not been puffing any magic mushrooms.  >:D

I wonder if you or any of our readers have other examples.  While you are thinking about it, here is your next fix.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 06:05:49 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: February 02, 2024, 10:12:49 PM »
Here in Kendal we are enduring very long drawn out flood defence works (9 years after a very major flood). Walking around with the dog (as we do on a very regular basisof course) we marvel at the number of time the "Dave " cartoon from the 31st is acted out for our delight and frustration. The best one so far was 6 men watching a 7th in a digging machine make a large hole. A couple of days later a mere 3 of them watched the man with the vibrating machine finish off filling it in! GRR! Christine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: February 02, 2024, 11:09:14 PM »

I'm intrigued by the fondness for combined gift shops and restaurants masquerading as garden centres in the UK.

Our local Dobbies is almost everything as well as a garden centre Yvonne! It has a restaurant and all the usual gifts, furniture, toys and various toot.  It also sells clothes and has a mini supermarket.  On top of that it sells fish and fish tanks!!  Not sure how it can be called a garden centre  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: February 02, 2024, 11:16:24 PM »
Here in Kendal we are enduring very long drawn out flood defence works

I do sympathise Christine.  We have been plagued by 'four way' traffic lights.  The gas companies have been digging up the road and causing traffic jams and chaos for weeks.  Just when we thought it was all over the water company came along and are now digging up the same stretch of road :-R  So I can certainly agree with GRR!!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: February 02, 2024, 11:19:42 PM »

Spoiler Alert for Puzzles Between 24-31 January

Puzzles 24-31 January

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: February 03, 2024, 01:58:09 AM »

A more recent example is “putting on the dog”, which I thought was unique to Aussie Lingo, actually came from the Deep South of America during  the Civil War but that these days most of the people coming from there would not know what it meant.  We Aussies pinch things and claim them as ours while the originators have got a life and left them behind. You know like Russell Crowe.

Sometimes literal translations can lead you astray.  I couldn’t understand why you were taken with a “crunchy gentleman” when I thought that  a carved ham and cheese slices sarnie covered with a white sauce made from milk, flour, butter, salt, and pepper and baked in the oven until golden and bubbling, would have been more your style.

But don’t take any notice of what I have been saying because it is all a crock.  No, I have not been puffing any magic mushrooms.  >:D

Hi Jack

What a funny and interesting post. Brilliant  :)  I always thought Russell Crowe was one of yours >:D

I have never come across the expression "putting on the dog".  I did wonder if it was similar to "all done up like a dog's dinner" but having consulted the fickle Ms Google I don't think so.  We also have an expression "to make a dog's breakfast (or dinner) of it"  For example if I cocked up my rebus you'd be saying I made a real dog's breakfast of it  :laugh:

My crunchy gentleman is normally little more than glorified toasted cheese and ham sarnie.  If you have an egg on it it's a crunchy lady  :laugh:

A word we both have in common with different meanings is 'buggerlugs'.  I though it originated in Yorkshire but, according to she who mustn't be mentioned, it comes from across the pond.

My rebus today is a poem from the nineteenth century.

#4 5 #3 #5

You need the last three letters of the first name of the lady in picture one and then jiggle them around a bit.  Please also re-arrange the letters of picture two.  Position is of the utmost importance.

One night a husband and wife were sleeping and suddenly the wife woke up. She pokes her husband and says...
Darling, wake up! I think there’s a burglar downstairs, and it sounds like they're eating the cake I made!”
Half asleep, her husband opens one eye and answers, "So shall I call the police or an ambulance?”

That's it from me.  Am in need of a cuppa

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: February 03, 2024, 10:55:54 AM »
I have never come across the expression "putting on the dog".
A word we both have in common with different meanings is 'buggerlugs'.  I though it originated in Yorkshire but, according to she who mustn't be mentioned, it comes from across the pond.
My rebus today is a poem from the nineteenth century.

Hi Pen,

I understand “putting on the dog” means dolling up something that is "everyday" to make it sound grand or Posh.  Mrs Bucket excels at it. “Putting on the dog” can also be praise for effort put in, rather than as an insult. It can be about celebrating the extra effort that someone has made to make things special for someone else.

In both Australia and England, the term “buggerlugs” is used informally, but its connotations can vary slightly:
1.   Australia:
o   In Australian English, “buggerlugs” is often a playful and affectionate term.
o   It is used to refer to someone in a slightly teasing or friendly way, especially someone you like.
2.   England:
o   In English usage, particularly in the UK, “buggerlugs” can have different interpretations.
o   One explanation is that it refers to a person’s ears—specifically, ears of a size large enough to afford a good grip while being sodomized.
o   Some people in England may also use it as a comic nickname without any specific meaning.
o   Another possible origin is related to the word “buggered”, meaning broken or worn out, combined with “lugs” (Scots for ears).

I don't know which pond you are referring to.

I was having one of my befuddled days.  But as soon as I gave up, I solved your clever rebus.   Will try to continue this post later.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 12:50:23 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #10584 on: February 03, 2024, 02:46:48 PM »
I don't know which pond you are referring to.

Not sure if you were serious there, Jack, but my understanding is that it's the Atlantic Ocean, and used in the same way as we use "across the ditch". 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: February 03, 2024, 05:04:39 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

Semi-serious, in that I didn't know until I just looked it up that it was virtually reserved for exchanges between Americans and British.  As I believed, and cannot find it contradicted, "Buggerlugs" is not widely used, or in fact known, in the USA. I thought Pen might have been referring to the channel or to the Irish sea.  Actually, I realise on looking at it more carefully I am not sure who "she who mustn't be mentioned" is.  I am sure Pen will reveal all in the fullness of time.

I was going to reply to your comments on the wider ambit of activities in nurseries.  I am aware that at least 5 of the larger nurseries in Brisbane have restaurants or cafes in them and there was at least one in the Southern Highlands.  i don't believe, however, that they have the wide range of activities that you and Pen discussed.

On a slightly different tack, my reading pointed out their is a growing trend of Paddock-to-plate restaurants in Australia.  Is this us copying the rest of the world or are we setting the pace?
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #10586 on: February 03, 2024, 07:08:18 PM »
I am not sure who "she who mustn't be mentioned" is.

I think this refers to Ms Google, and her annoying habit of butting into the conversation if you mention the word 'Google' in her hearing (assuming you have one of those Google Home devices within earshot) because she thinks you're asking her something.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: February 03, 2024, 10:50:20 PM »
Siri rules our household.  Google only gets a lookin when specifically invited.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: February 04, 2024, 12:53:54 AM »

I think this refers to Ms Google, and her annoying habit of butting into the conversation if you mention the word 'Google' in her hearing (assuming you have one of those Google Home devices within earshot) because she thinks you're asking her something.

Spot on Yvonne.  My neighbour, Jan, had a row with Alexa a couple of weeks ago :laugh:  Alexa kept answering back and wouldn't put a sock in it so in the end she got switched off.  It was the only way they could shut her up.

I've searched for stuff on google and found what I'd hoped was the correct information.  It's only when I've gone back to re-check something I get a different response that contradicts what she told me before :-R  That's why I say she's a bit unreliable!

I don't have either Siri or Alexa.  I'm probably still stuck in the dark ages technology wise!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: February 04, 2024, 02:09:16 AM »
Siri rules our household.  Google only gets a lookin when specifically invited.

Actually, I realise on looking at it more carefully I am not sure who "she who mustn't be mentioned" is.  I am sure Pen will reveal all in the fullness of time.

On a slightly different tack, my reading pointed out their is a growing trend of Paddock-to-plate restaurants in Australia.  Is this us copying the rest of the world or are we setting the pace?

Hi Jack

I've been up to see Barbs for a walk and a cuppa this morning.  I didn't go yesterday as her husband, John, was poorly.  Thankfully he seems ok today  :)

Smashing pictures of Bonnie  :-*  I wish we weren't so far from the coast.

I was talking about the increasingly unreliable Ms Google.  As I mention her quite frequently in a derogatory manner I'm not sure why I wrote that  ???

As far as I can see (from her mentioned above :laugh:) the paddock to plate restaurants seem to be unique to you and your neighbours across the ditch.  In America they have farm to table which I'm assuming is very similar. If we have them here I've not come across them.

My rebus is a funny expression.

1 #4 #4 1 7 (#4 + #3) #7 1 #4

AAA
Please change the first letter of picture two and pretend it's all on one line.

That's it from me.  The crossword wont to itself and the brains of the operation has abandoned me and gone home  :laugh: