Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 865811 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #10260 on: November 10, 2023, 03:02:08 AM »

By the time we got home at 9 O'clock I was knackered. 

Today was not much better, so this i a short one.

I liked your rebus.  We have a similar idiom but the last word is not nearly so polite.

Bonnie and Ruby at play with Pascal

Hi Jack

A flying visit from me too!  I've been doing an impression of a blue arsed fly today.  Did a few chores then took Nigel, my Aygo, in for a service.  I was fortunate to get a courtesy car so toddled off to Sainsburys to get some shopping. By the time I got home and had my lunch they rang to say would I like to go and collect Nigel.  I then shot off to Zoe's to drop a few bits off, got back and had a quick walk and am going to have a short relax before thinking about some grub!

Would your last word of the idiom be sh1t as one of my friends is fond of saying  :laugh:

What a smashing video of Bonnie, Ruby and Pascal  :)  It was his name I couldn't remember the other day! Ruby is still a bouncy bundle of energy  :laugh:

I wonder why the Cleveland Mob are attracting so many wretched Cane Toads  :(

Edwina, a contestant on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" had reached the final question.  If she answers it correctly she will win £1,000,000. If she answered incorrectly, she would pocket only the £32,000 milestone money. As she suspected it would be, the million-pound question was no pushover. It was: Which of the following species of birds does not build its own nest, but instead lays its eggs in the nests of other birds? Is it
A) the condor;
B) the buzzard;
C) the cuckoo; or
D) the vulture?"
Edwina was on the spot. She did not know the answer. And she was doubly on the spot because she had used up her 50/50 Lifeline and her Ask the Audience Lifeline. All that remained was her Phone-a-Friend, and the woman had hoped against hope that she would not have to use it because the only friend that she knew would be at home happened to be Geraldine, who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer! But the contestant had no alternative. She called her friend and gave her the question and the four choices.
Geraldine responded unhesitatingly: "That's easy. The answer is C: The cuckoo."
Edwina had to make a decision and make it fast. She considered employing a reverse strategy and giving Jeremy any answer except the one that her friend had given her. And considering that her friend isn't very bright, it would seem to be the logical thing to do. On the other hand -- Geraldine had responded with such confidence, that Edwina could not help but be persuaded. "I need an answer," said Jeremy. Crossing her fingers, the contestant said, "C: The cuckoo."
"Is that your final answer?" asked Jeremy. "Yes, that is my final answer."
Two seconds later, Jeremy said, "I regret to inform you that the answer is-...... absolutely correct. You are now a millionaire!"
Three days later, Edwina hosted a party for all her family and friends including Geraldine who had helped her win the money. "Geraldine,  I just do not know how to thank you," said Edwina. "Because of your knowing the answer to that final question, I am now a millionaire and do you want to know something? It was your certainty when you answered the question that convinced me to go with your choice. By the way......how did you happen to know the right answer?"
"Oh, come on!" said Geraldine, "Everybody knows that cuckoos don't build nests. They live in clocks."

Leave you with a very naff joke  ;D

I think a small snooze is called for  :-S  >:D

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 03:04:52 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: November 10, 2023, 01:44:29 PM »
Would your last word of the idiom be sh1t as one of my friends is fond of saying  :laugh:
I wonder why the Cleveland Mob are attracting so many wretched Cane Toads 

Hi Pen,

You guessed it in one.

My theory on why we have so few cane toads compared with the Cleveland mob is that we are surrounded on one side by houses and at the back by an extremely busy road.  The Cleveland mob are in a cul-de-sac and one one side there are no dwellings, just an area of bush all the way to Moreton Bay.   Moira might be able to tell us if they are a problem over her way.

I am sitting on the Patio, dog sitting Bonnie and Ruby.   Cathy has taken June off to get a cortisone injection.

Blue and Sheila were in a Carindale shopping centre.  Sheila told Blue she needed to do some browsing in the  bras N things shop.   Blue knew this would take an age, so he wandered off saying something about needing to see a man about a dog and being back in a little bit.

When Sheila finally decided on her purchases, Blue still wasn't back and as they had more shopping to do, Sheila called him on his mobile and said, "Where are you?"

Blue said, "You remember the jewellers we went into about 10 years ago, and you fell in love with that diamond necklace? We couldn't afford it at the time and I said that one day I would get it for you.". 

Tears started to flow down Sheila’s cheeks and she got all choked up.

"Yes, I do remember that shop," she replied.

"Well, I'm in the bar next door."

As the rebus du jour has become episodes of our favourite TV series I will present you one from one about a romance rekindled.

#3  #6  #6

Conceptually one line.

Picture 1. One word (12).  Use letters 6-8.
Picture 2.  Please ensure you are not chauvinistic.

And I’ll leave you with.

Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: November 10, 2023, 06:29:01 PM »
Hi Jack.
Like you, we are very much in suburbia with houses all around. When we moved here, 45 plus years ago, much of the surrounding area was farmland and also vacant blocks. We used to have dozens of toads most nights. On several  occasions they actually blocked our drainage pipe out to the roadway. The number of toads decreased, as the number of residences increased. I'm pleased to say we don't have many toads around now...just an occasional one in the backyard. I haven't had to visit Bunnings since I saw your spray can fix-it. Dettol in a squirty bottle works...but perhaps not as humanely!
I hope the cortisone injection brings June relief.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: November 10, 2023, 10:28:31 PM »

My theory on why we have so few cane toads compared with the Cleveland mob is that we are surrounded on one side by houses and at the back by an extremely busy road.  The Cleveland mob are in a cul-de-sac and one one side there are no dwellings, just an area of bush all the way to Moreton Bay.   Moira might be able to tell us if they are a problem over her way.

I am sitting on the Patio, dog sitting Bonnie and Ruby.   Cathy has taken June off to get a cortisone injection.

As the rebus du jour has become episodes of our favourite TV series I will present you one from one about a romance rekindled.

And I’ll leave you with.

Hi Jack

A quick post before I head out to lunch with my friend Jen.  We're off to the Prince George in Tattenhoe :)

I echo what Moyra said in her post and hope that the cortisone injection brings June some relief.

It's a great pity there's not a more permanent solution to deter those wretched toads.

I fell into your trap of assuming that picture one of your rebus was the Colosseum.  I spent ages wondering what to do with seu and then the penny finally dropped that the picture wasn't Rome :-R  What a numpty!  That was a cracker :)

My rebus is my favourite episode of a long running comedy series.

#2 #4 #3 #4

Please lose the last three letters of picture one and change the first letters of pictures two and four.  You're not interested in Paul Daniels in picture three.  Please lose the first letter of what you're left with and pretend it's all on one line.

Loved your sign off - how true!  Must get my skates on  :-C

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:30:19 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: November 11, 2023, 11:56:01 AM »
I am making no progress at all with Pen's rebus.  Has anybody solved it?

I think the first word is "to", being the first two letters of the second word of "French Toast"

I think the third word is "and" being what is left of "wand" when you lose the first letter.

The second word might possibly start with b,c,d,f,g,h,l,m,nor s if the word from the picture is "pull"

The fourth word might conceivably start with b,c,g,h,l,m,p,r,s,t,w,y or z if the word from the picture is the word frm the picture is "jack"
or
b,c,f,h,l,n.p.s.w.or y if the word is "card"

I didn't have time to look through the article the 70 best long running TV comedy series.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 12:47:44 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: November 11, 2023, 03:48:57 PM »
Hi Jack

Think only fools and horses and you will doing well

Carol

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: November 11, 2023, 04:13:28 PM »
Hi Carol,

You are a genius.  Thanks.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: November 11, 2023, 10:53:45 PM »
I was circling around the second word with the same options as Jack. Funnily, I hadn't even thought of "card" as a possibility for the fourth!
Thanks.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: November 11, 2023, 11:23:15 PM »

I am making no progress at all with Pen's rebus.  Has anybody solved it?

I didn't have time to look through the article the 70 best long running TV comedy series.

You are a genius.  Thanks.

Hi Jack

Many apologies to you and Moyra!  I didn't give you much to go on  :(  If you've never watched that episode it's worth a look.  Del, Rodney and Uncle Albert head to Amsterdam to collect some dodgy diamonds for Boycie.  Because of Uncle Albert's 'during the war' stories Del assumes he knows how to sail a boat.  Of course when they get on the boat that Del has hired Uncle Albert doesn't have a clue  :laugh:

I was thinking about my Granddad this morning - as I always do on Armistice Day.  I've probably told you before but he was in the trenches during WW1.  He was a very speedy runner and he had to run between the trenches delivering messages.  Like my Dad's generation in the second war he didn't really talk about it.  The conditions were dreadful - I can only imagine how scary it was for them. At least he came back in one piece  :)

In a similar vein here's another one for you - hopefully more successful than the previous one.

9 (#5 + #4) 2 7 (#4 + #3)

Please lose the first letter of picture three.  Position is crucial.

Paddy went into St. Mary’s hospital for major surgery. In the recovery room, the nurse came in and said, “So Pat, how will you be paying for your surgery?” “Sure and I don’t know,” said Pat.“Do you have any insurance?” the nurse asked.“No,” said Pat.“Do you have any money?” she asked.“Not a penny,” said Pat.“Do you have any relatives who might be able to pay for this surgery?” “Only me spinster sister in Dublin -  she’s a nun.” “Nuns aren’t spinsters Pat, they’re married to God,” the nurse said. “Fine,” replied Pat, “then you'd best send the bill to me Brother-in-Law.”

Leave you with a daft joke and this

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: November 12, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »

Hi pen

I had a bit of computer trouble today.  I managed to save these.

good rebus - hard but solvable.

And I’ll leave you with.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: November 13, 2023, 01:07:43 AM »

I had a bit of computer trouble today.  I managed to save these.

good rebus - hard but solvable.

Hi Jack

Sorry couldn't resist this  >:D  :laugh:

Hopefully, you'll find today's offering a little easier to solve.  It's what I was chuntering when I was stomping round the park earlier.

#5 #5 #3 1 #6 #6

A

I know you're not into pop music but can you remember the name of the brothers in picture one?  Please lose the fifth letter.  You need the character in picture two and lose the first two letters.  Please re-arrange the letters of picture three and ignore the gent in picture four.  You need another word for dazzling (eight letters) for picture five and then lose the first and fifth letters. Please pretend it's all on one line.

I can't find any cartoons as funny as your old couple.  They really tickle me :laugh:

Kylie told me that Sheila was driving along the M6 towards Brisbane.  She had her foot through the floor and was doing about 90mph. A police car overtook her and flagged her down. 
The cop got out of his car and walked over to her, flipping open his ticket book and stood by her driver's window.  After opening the window Sheila said, 'I bet you are going to sell me a ticket to the Queensland Policeman's Ball. 'He replied, ' Queensland policemen don't have balls.' There was a moment of silence. He just realised what he'd said, closed his book, got back in his patrol car and left.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 01:28:46 AM by Hobbit »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: November 13, 2023, 12:09:36 PM »
Hi Penny.
I got there in the end. Well done...what Jack said!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: November 13, 2023, 06:17:22 PM »

Hopefully, you'll find today's offering a little easier to solve.  It's what I was chuntering when I was stomping round the park earlier.

Hi Pen,

It was easier but not much and very well presented.

I spent a couple of hours this morning solving the computer problem with an app I use to share files from my Dropbox with the forum.  It was a bit more complicated than the solution in your cartoon but adopted the same principle. So now I can do another batch of spoiler alerts.

I seriously thought about doing a rebus but then I was offered a white wine if I watched some TV, so you know what thought did.

And I’ll leave you with.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: November 13, 2023, 06:27:44 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Rebuses Between 7 November  and 12 November

7 November to 12 November

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: November 14, 2023, 10:55:34 PM »

I spent a couple of hours this morning solving the computer problem with an app I use to share files from my Dropbox with the forum.  It was a bit more complicated than the solution in your cartoon but adopted the same principle. So now I can do another batch of spoiler alerts.

Hi Jack

I'm girding my loins for a busy morning.  The radiographers are having some technical issues which is not what you need with a busy clinic  :(

My rebus is some grub which originates from a county not a million miles from here!

12 (#3 + #4 + #5) 7 (#5 + #2)

Picture two you're not interested in who they are but where.  Please lose the first two letters. Picture three two five letter words - please use the first.  Picture five you need an alternative word to ring and please pretend it's all on one line.

One day while doing door-to-door market research, this guy knocks on a door and is greeted by a beautiful young housewife.
"Hello," he starts, "I'm doing some research for a petroleum jelly manufacturer. Have you ever used the product?"
"Yes. My husband and I use it during sex," she answers.
The researcher is taken aback. "Um, er, I admire you for your honesty," he continues. "Can you tell me exactly how you use it?"
"Certainly, we put it on the doorknob so the kids can't get in.

Nearly lunchtime hooray  :-H

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:00:36 PM by Hobbit »