Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 872134 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9780 on: July 17, 2023, 01:39:08 AM »

Malarkey as knowing you must,
Is slang for nonsense or bulldust
Joe Biden uses it quite often
Does that make me a boffin?

Hi Jack

I was surprised to learn that Malarkey is of American origin.  I always wrongly assumed it was an Irish expression.  I think you're definitely a boffin as well as a poet >:D

I thought perhaps I should offer a rebus today as It's been over a week since I last did one.

It's a childrens song

#3 #5 #3 #4 #2 #4

THE
Please use the first part of picture one. Picture two is the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.  Pick any one of them and use three consecutive letters from the middle of the seven letter word. Nickname of gent in picture three.  Can you remember the name of the athlete in picture four?  Please use the first two letters of his surname and reverse them.  Please change the first letter of picture five and pretend it's all on one line.

I'm off for a rummage in the fridge to see what I can find :-H  I can't match your gorgeous picture of Bonnie but this made me smile.

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: July 17, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any real characters in the game nowadays.

I do agree, of course, Pen!  Quelle surprise that Djoko lost though.  Why, oh why, have the BBC turfed out Sue Barker and brought in Claire Balding as presenter?  She's not a tennis expert, is she?  Doesn't appear to be and she crops up everywhere at the moment.  Oh well ....

Going to hang out washing before the blue skies turn to grey!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: July 17, 2023, 10:29:22 PM »
I thought perhaps I should offer a rebus today as It's been over a week since I last did one.

Hi Pen,

Well done.  A good rebus it was too.  It is longer since I have offered one but my rebus muse had a hissy fit over my dalliance with the poetry muse and has deserted me.

My daughter sent me some photos of Ruby this morning.  When Ruby was told Michelle was coming to walk her she immediately jumped up to a vantage point to watch for the car coming.  When she gets excited and cannot run anywhere, she jumps up and down on her back legs like a kangaroo. I have never seen anything like it.

Michelle is coming

Michelle is at the front door

Michelle is greeted

I’ll bet you can’t wait to get back to work tomorrow. >:D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:34:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: July 18, 2023, 01:22:33 AM »

I have never seen anything like it.

I’ll bet you can’t wait to get back to work tomorrow. >:D

Hi Jack

Wonderful pictures of Ruby - they wiped away all thoughts of returning to work tomorrow  :) & yes I'm most definitely not looking forward to it :(

I've had an enjoyable day cooking a Hairy Bikers' Cumberland sausage pie and walking in the lovely sunshine :)

When do you pack your bucket and spade?  :laugh:  Is it the 20th?  I couldn't find your e-mail to double check :-R

Hope you can soon knock your muse back into shape  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: July 18, 2023, 01:30:24 AM »

I do agree, of course, Pen!  Quelle surprise that Djoko lost though.  Why, oh why, have the BBC turfed out Sue Barker and brought in Claire Balding as presenter?  She's not a tennis expert, is she?  Doesn't appear to be and she crops up everywhere at the moment.  Oh well ....

Going to hang out washing before the blue skies turn to grey!  >:D

I'd have been astonished if you didn't Linda!  I totally agree about Claire Balding.  Shame about Sue Barker - I think she's very likeable and entertaining and has great tennis knowledge.  They threw her off Question of Sport as well :(

I thought the Spanish lad did well to beat Djoko :)

Hope your washing's dry.  Still sunny here despite the Met Office forecasting thundery showers.  Useless idiots couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery or an orgy in a brothel  >:D  :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: July 18, 2023, 05:14:46 PM »
Quote from: Reluctant worker of Bletchley link=topic=3647.msg79624#msg79624 date=1689607353
they wiped away all thoughts of returning to work tomorrow  :) & yes I'm most definitely not looking forward to it :(

Hi Pen,

I suspect you might be a bit glum on your first day back at work.  Here are a few memes that I hope to bring a smile to your face while I work on a rebus.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 09:34:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: July 19, 2023, 12:58:52 AM »

I suspect you might be a bit glum on your first day back at work.  Here are a few memes that I hope to bring a smile to your face while I work on a rebus.

Hi Jack

How right you are - your crystal ball's working a treat :laugh:  I was a bit glum this morning but I've had my lunch and just got to get through an afternoon on Fracture Clinic and then it'll be home time :)

Your memes did more than bring a smile to my face - they made me laugh and cheered me up :laugh:

My rebus is a record from the 1970's. (yes! I know pop music's not your thing >:D)  The singer shares his first name with a very famous American singer who has left the building.

7 (#4+ #3) #2 3 7 (#3 + #4) #4

THE
Please change the first letter of pictures two and four and they're homophones.  Please change the first letter of picture six and pretend it's all on one line.

My neighbour Dave phoned his boss , "I'm on the train heading to the south coast now."
"What?" he answered, sounding a bit annoyed. "It's five o'clock in the bloody morning! What are you doing on a train?"
Dave said, "You're the one who told me you wanted me in Brighton early this morning!"

Leave you with a silly joke ;D  nearly home time hurrah :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: July 19, 2023, 05:30:47 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 18/7

Pen 16/7

Pen 7/7

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: July 19, 2023, 10:38:55 PM »
Hi Pen,

Today went a little different from what we planned yesterday. The culprit was a broken tooth that supported a partial denture.  We got an appointment at the denture clinic in Coorparoo for 9 am.  A traffic problem somewhere, probably a pile-up, meant we took over 90 minutes for a 40-minute trip.  The immediate advice was to get an emergency appointment with a dentist to get the stump of the tooth extracted.  This took until after midday.  We eventually got home midafternoon.

Things picked up at dinner which was an eye filet roast and a bottle of red wine and the first session at the cricket didn’t go too bad.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: July 19, 2023, 11:58:34 PM »

Today went a little different from what we planned yesterday. The culprit was a broken tooth that supported a partial denture. 

Things picked up at dinner which was an eye filet roast and a bottle of red wine and the first session at the cricket didn’t go too bad.

Hi Jack

It sounds like you had a bit of a morning of it!  It was a pity you couldn't tie a piece of string to the tooth and slam the door :laugh:  That's what my Grampy and uncle always used to say when I was little and had a wobbly tooth!  When I last checked your mob were 146 for 3.  Mark Wood did for Steve Smith after lunch. It's quite funny because there are quite a few cricket enthusiasts working with me and they they tell me what's going on when they pass by my desk :laugh:

Dinner sounds very scrummy - wish I'd been there to enjoy it with you and raise a glass :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: July 20, 2023, 10:40:09 PM »
Hi Pen,

I should be asleep because I’ve got a big day tomorrow but the temptation to watch sport on the idiot box is very strong.  The Matilda's just beat Ireland by the skin of their teeth, the cricketers are at lunch and the golf is not very exciting, so I’ll do a very quick post.

We have to get a denture over to Coorparoo by 9 am.  I’ve got an ultrasound at 2 pm and then back to Coorparoo to pick up the denture by 5 pm.

I’ve got a clip which might amuse you. 

Bob Hawke told this joke in 1988.  I don’t think any prime Minister would get away with telling it these days.  Warning – not for those with delicate sensitivities

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: July 21, 2023, 04:27:38 AM »
Hi Pen,

but the temptation to watch sport on the idiot box is very strong. 

I’ve got a clip which might amuse you. 

Hi Jack

There's no might about it.  Hilarious! it made me roar with laughter.  It wasn't just that the joke was very funny but, in the words of Frank Carson,

Not a patch on Bob Hawke I'm afraid ;D

England closed on 384 for 4 :)  Astonishing :o

I hope all your tooing an froing goes smoothly tomorrow (later!)  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: July 21, 2023, 11:56:31 PM »
Hi Jack

Hope all went well yesterday.

I've having an enjoyable day - been out for a bite to eat and a walk with an old friend :)  The scores ticking along nicely but rain's forecast for tomorrow at Old Trafford. Travis Smyth hit an amazing hole in one on the 17th :) in Liverpool :o

A nice easy rebus today.  It's an episode of mine and Linda's favourite programme >:D

#6 #2  9 (#6 + #3) #4

Please use two consecutive letters from the middle of picture two and lose the last five letters of the first name of the gent in picture three.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

Apologies for my daft sense of humour :-R

Patient: Doctor whenever I cough it sounds like this 'pawn, bishop, queen.
Doctor: Sounds like you have a chess infection.

When Australian chess players finish their meals in the restaurant...
they say, "Cheque, mate."

Leave you with a couple of very silly jokes ;D

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:58:10 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: July 22, 2023, 01:10:38 AM »
t's an episode of mine and Linda's favourite programme

I think it is probably my favourite episode, Pen! 

Just come back from Kendal - the traffic was horrendous in town.  Having a restorative cuppa coffee before preparing a salad of new spuds, cheesy coleslaw, green things and a slice of chicken and ham pie - yum!  >:D

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: July 22, 2023, 02:05:23 AM »
Hi Linda
hubby and I were just discussing the traffic in Kendal! There is not a single entry/exit road that doesn't have a lane closure or temporary traffic lights in place. Gas, flood works, pot hole repairs and telephones/wi fi tinkering all stopping locals and tourists alike accessing Kendal. We have a Pride Festival tomorrow to add to the chaos. Next week is an event to ENCOURAGE people to come to all the activities we can offer here in the school holidays. Breweries and organisation spring to mind!!
Christine