Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 872138 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9735 on: June 29, 2023, 08:31:21 PM »
It just struck me that you meant work to the house Pen.  It is coming along but we are at a bit of a standstill at moment as waiting for windows.  The disruptive part is imminent!  Lots of dust and cooker to be moved into living room as a temporary measure!  While we're in such a mess, we have decided to rearrange the bathroom as well so I might be without food and water soon!  Might have to live on takeaways for a while.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: June 30, 2023, 12:45:36 AM »
It just struck me that you meant work to the house Pen.   The disruptive part is imminent!  Lots of dust and cooker to be moved into living room as a temporary measure!  While we're in such a mess, we have decided to rearrange the bathroom as well so I might be without food and water soon!  Might have to live on takeaways for a while.  >:D

I did mean the work to the house Linda  :laugh:  Sounds a bit of a nightmare but it'll be worth it when it's all done.  I could happily live on takeaways for a while - no hardship  >:D

We're catching the train from MK to York and staying for five nights.  I was going to steer clear of Brid and probably Scarborough as well now.  Definitely doesn't sound like somewhere Eve and I would enjoy.  Robin Hood's Bay or Richmond might be a much better option.  If we can get there on the train from York. We stayed in Harrogate last year during that awful heat wave and visited Whitby and Haworth.  We enjoyed both as far as the heat would allow.  We've got a visit to Betty's tea room in York on our list of things we must do :)

I would love to meet you in Kendal for a sausage sarnie :)  I love Kendal and haven't visited for many years.  I don't think the train journey from York to Kendal is very easy unfortunately.  Looking at the rail journey planner it's about the same travelling time as MK to Oxenholme!  I have a fortnight off in September with nothing planned.  My motor biking cousin in the Peaks is away so perhaps I should book a B&B in Kendal and head up for a few days :)

I hope you got your quiz organised for tonight.  Give 'em all an extra glass or 2 of wine and they wont worry about the questions  >:D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: June 30, 2023, 06:04:04 PM »
I have a fortnight off in September with nothing planned.

I wish I had nothing planned for September Pen but am going to have to do extra work hours due to colleagues' hols and I'm the only one available having booked two weeks off in August - not that we'll be going anywhere much due to the flaming kitchen extension work!  It should be coming together then and we can get started on the enjoyable part of choosing units - I have my eye on a refrigerated wine cooler!!

Quiz went down quite well - random questions as I couldn't be bothered to think of a theme.  There were about 20 of us there last night so it was very noisy and the wine was flowing - felt a bit shell shocked when I came out into the night air!

If I remember, I will ask my son about lovely places to visit in Yorkshire by train or bus.  Good plan to avoid Scarborough, I think, especially this time of year. 

Must go and get properly dressed as builder arriving at 9.30 and I don't want to frighten him!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: June 30, 2023, 06:35:16 PM »

It should be coming together then and we can get started on the enjoyable part of choosing units - I have my eye on a refrigerated wine cooler!!

If I remember, I will ask my son about lovely places to visit in Yorkshire by train or bus.  Good plan to avoid Scarborough, I think, especially this time of year. 

Must go and get properly dressed as builder arriving at 9.30 and I don't want to frighten him!!  >:D

I'm still laughing at your post Linda  :laugh:

I think a refrigerated wine cooler is absolutely essential  >:D

I think it's safe to say we'll be giving Scarborough a very wide berth!  If your son has any suggestions of places we can get to easily that would be brilliant  :)

Please don't frighten the builder too much or he may not get the work finished  :laugh:   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: July 01, 2023, 12:06:42 AM »
Hi Jack

I've been up to see Barbs and had a walk, cuppa and gossip :)  I have to pick Zoe up at 4 as it's pub night.  That gives me a couple of hours to do a post and have a bit of a wrestle with today's crossword.

Here's a little rebus.  It's a great film from the 1940's.

6 (#5 + #1) 6

Please translate the second part of the name of the group in picture two into French and then it's a homophone.  In picture three how would you refer to Mr McKay in about the twelfth century? When you have that please re-arrange the letters.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

Must have a quick cuppa before I get going.  These tickled me  ;D

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 04:02:19 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: July 01, 2023, 01:16:04 AM »
Hi Pen,

It's been a bit of a week.  I have new glasses.  I had a hearing test and pick up my hearing aids next Tuesday.  My arthritis has been giving me gyp.  Just after midnight, I wake up and decide to see how the cricket is going and Warner gets out and wastes a review.  I look at you rebus and I try to make some sense of Alice from the Brady bunch, a one letter French homophone and a six letter anagram.  I haven't got a clue.

I am sure if I can get back to sleep quickly, it will be much better in the morning.

:-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 01:18:18 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: July 01, 2023, 04:26:40 AM »

It's been a bit of a week.  I have new glasses.  I had a hearing test and pick up my hearing aids next Tuesday.  My arthritis has been giving me gyp.  Just after midnight, I wake up and decide to see how the cricket is going and Warner gets out and wastes a review.  I look at you rebus and I try to make some sense of Alice from the Brady bunch, a one letter French homophone and a six letter anagram.  I haven't got a clue.

Oh Jack I'm sorry to hear you're having a bloody rotten time of it at the moment :(

On the plus side your mob are dominating the cricket.  Warner might be out but our lot are abysmal :cry:  The Aussies are leading by 221 runs with 8 wickets in hand.  I'm fairly sure the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

I thought perhaps you were delirious when you woke up!  I wondered why you were waffling about Alice from the Brady bunch.  Then the penny dropped and I couldn't stop laughing  :laugh:

I hope things soon look up  :)
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: July 01, 2023, 06:54:08 AM »
I thought perhaps you were delirious when you woke up!  I wondered why you were waffling about Alice from the Brady bunch.  Then the penny dropped and I couldn't stop laughing  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

Eureka.  Luckily it's even colder this morning.  5oC.

When I took the wise one her morning cup of coffee in bed, we cooperatively solved it in a couple of minutes.

What a clever cunning rebus.  It was one of my favourite films too.  The original was much better than the remake.

I will be back to try and get revenge later in the morning.  >:D
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: July 01, 2023, 09:38:58 AM »

Back again, Pen

Why is today (1 July 2023) different to yesterday?

#3  #5

Picture 1. Homophone.

Insert the middle letter of picture 1 into the middle of picture 2.

Ruby1 - Enjoyng the sea

Ruby2 - getting messy

Ruby1 - utterly exhausted
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 02:16:40 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: July 01, 2023, 11:12:05 PM »

What a clever cunning rebus.  It was one of my favourite films too.  The original was much better than the remake.

Hi Jack

I think it's fair to say you have definitely got your revenge!  I'm baffled of Bletchley at the moment :laugh:  You are quite right about the original film being a million times better than the remake

I wonder if you've ever come across this expression?  Possibly not  >:D

7 (#3 + #4) #2 1 #4 #4 #6 #4

A

In picture one please use the short form address of Geraldine.  You need to lose the first two letters of picture two and then change the second letter of what is left.  Please use the middle two letters of picture three and change the first letter of picture four.  The gent in picture five was replaced by Ringo Starr.  Can you remember his surname? Please pretend it's all on one line.

That's all from me  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: July 02, 2023, 07:01:48 AM »
I wonder if you've ever come across this expression?  Possibly not  >:D

Hi Pen,

I am familiar with the expression even though I have not read the French author Eugène Sue and his novel, “Memoirs of Matilda".

I got a copy of the original movie we were talking about yesterday.  Memory can be a little fooled by nostalgia.  I watched it yesterday afternoon and was a bit disappointed. It must be 30-40 years since I last watched it and while still likeable, it is definitely dated.  I'll have to get a copy of the remake and see whether my memory of it is similarly astray.

Coffee calls.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 08:15:21 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: July 02, 2023, 04:46:50 PM »
Hi Pen,
I managed to work out the expression as well.
The 5th Beatle, Pete Best went to primary/junior school at Blackmoor Primary, West Derby, Liverpool. My family used to live in Blackmoor Drive, West Derby, but not until he had moved on as he’s about 10 years older than me.
Small world isn’t it.

Tony

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: July 02, 2023, 05:27:13 PM »
Hi Tony.
That's unbelievable - what a funny coincidence! I was racking my brains for an alternative to George Best.
Have a great Sunday :) Sunny & breezy here - perfect.
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: July 03, 2023, 09:52:07 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 1/7

Jack 30/6

Pen 30/6

Pen 28/6

Pen 27/6

Jack 26/6

Pen 25/6

Pen 24/6

Jack 23/6
Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: July 04, 2023, 11:36:19 AM »
I definitely wont mention the Bosch ;)
(Still can't believe they wanted to ban that episode of Fawlty Towers >:()

Hi Pen,

If they remade Fawlty Towers that would now probably be Don't Mention the cricket.  I will heed that advice and it might be a good idea if your Prime Minister did as well.  I have a bit of gratuitous advice for him.

One line.
#5 #2 4(#1 #3) #3 #3

Picture 2.  Remove the last letter.
Picture 3.  Homophone.
Picture 4.  Remove the first letter
Picture 6.  You know your bible.  Tremendous adversity did not change his integrity.
Regards, Jack