Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 872140 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9720 on: June 27, 2023, 04:08:56 AM »
I guessed you'd been on holiday Gareth as I haven't seen you in My Puzzles.  Where did you and your uncooperative lap top go?  I thought it was just me that swears at inanimate objects  :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: June 27, 2023, 07:10:48 PM »
We went to Scotland and I have a tan like I had been to Majorca. We rented a beautiful cottage near Inverness and toured the Highlands and on the way home had a couple of days in Bridlington, which was very nice. Overall I drove about 2000 miles and the time just flew by.

Good to be back online again.

Gareth
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: June 27, 2023, 09:03:15 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm back at the coalface and my lovely long weekend is a distant memory. Clinic's very noisy and busy  :(

I thought you might like something different to read - fancy a little Barbara Cartland for a change?  >:D

8 (#5 + #3) 2 6 (#3 + #3)

You need mum in picture one.  Please take the first five letters of picture two and lose the last one.  Past tense of picture four (not dial!) and lose the first letter please. One homophone. Position is of the utmost importance.

Almost lunchtime hurrah  :-H
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:05:54 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: June 27, 2023, 09:17:57 PM »
We went to Scotland and I have a tan like I had been to Majorca. We rented a beautiful cottage near Inverness and toured the Highlands and on the way home had a couple of days in Bridlington, which was very nice. Overall I drove about 2000 miles and the time just flew by.

Sounds perfect Gareth :)  My friend Eve & I are heading up to York the week after next for 5 nights.   We're hoping to get the train to Scarborough and have a paddle!   Hoping it'll be a bit cooler than last year! It was over 40oc when we were in Yorkshire last July.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: June 28, 2023, 08:20:44 AM »
I love lemon cheesecake, it sounds like a good choice.

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the greetings.

I hope the whisky trail was one of your wanderings.

The recipe for the cheesecake is the subject of one of our family jokes.  Every time Andrew makes it, he claims it is a secret recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation.  The truth is my mother got it from the outside of a can of condensed milk or packet of Philadelphia cheese, I can't remember which.  Whichever, it has become a necessary inclusion in my birthday celebrations each year.

I see you haven't lost you touch on the 7-by-many puzzles.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: June 28, 2023, 08:37:16 AM »
I thought you might like something different to read - fancy a little Barbara Cartland for a change?  >:D

Hi Pen,

Although the subject is anathema to me, the rebus was devilish and clever.  I had given up and was about to go for breakfast when I had one last thought on what Dad's Army was up and Eureka, I solved it.

You will be disappointed to know that I did not emulate Archimedes and run naked through the streets.  It was too cold and ours is a conservative neighbourhood. >:D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 08:39:19 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: June 28, 2023, 09:31:32 AM »
Hi Jack.
Is this the famous family recipe?

https://www.philly.com.au/recipe/easy-lemon-cheesecake/

I think we might need to have one this weekend...it's been a long time since I made it. Sometimes I would make a lemon juice, sugar and cornflour "gel" layer to spread on top after the filling set.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: June 28, 2023, 10:26:53 AM »
Hi Moyra,

That looks like the one.   If they have been putting it on their packet for the last 60 years, it would certainly be the one.

Like all our recipes from memory, the result varies a little from time to time as something is added or left out.  Andrew's consistent variation is that he leaves out the gelatine and adds cinnamon to the base.  He claims the lemon juice is enough to set it.

Enjoy your cheesecake.  We are happy for everyone to enjoy our secret recipe.  :D
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: June 28, 2023, 10:48:00 AM »
If you keep something long enough.....
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: June 28, 2023, 05:59:15 PM »
fancy a little Barbara Cartland for a change?

No!  >:D

Have you been to Scarborough before, Pen?  Only asking!!  >:D >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: June 28, 2023, 10:31:42 PM »
I haven't been to Scarborough Linda!  Are you recommending it?  We went to Whitby last year and thought we might try something different this year.  We're staying in York for five nights  :)

I wouldn't read Barbara Cartland (or Mills & Boon)!  I was pulling Jack's leg - very gently  :laugh:  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: June 29, 2023, 12:57:26 AM »

Although the subject is anathema to me, the rebus was devilish and clever.  I had given up and was about to go for breakfast when I had one last thought on what Dad's Army was up and Eureka, I solved it.

You will be disappointed to know that I did not emulate Archimedes and run naked through the streets.  It was too cold and ours is a conservative neighbourhood. >:D

Hi Jack

I was extremely disappointed that you didn't run round Redlands starkers  :laugh:  I'm sure we'd have seen you on the news  >:D  Mind you I expect you would have been ostracised by the neighbours!!  I'm having a horrible busy day and the thought of you running around naked has cheered me up no end and made me laugh  :-*

I'm going to attempt a fairly easy rebus in between patients.  I've got a couple of hours so, hopefully, I'll get to the end of it.  It's an idiom. 

#2 #4 #2 #5 1 #3

A
Please lose the last letter of the surname of the gent in picture two and then reverse what's left.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

The doorbell rang and the lady of the house discovered a workman, complete with tool kit, on the front door step. "Good afternoon", he said “I’m the piano tuner.”
“I don't understand!" the lady exclaimed,  "I didn’t send for a piano tuner.”
"Yes I know" the man replied,  "but your neighbours did.”

Leave you with a very naff joke ;D  Nearly home time!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: June 29, 2023, 06:01:19 PM »
Are you recommending it?

No!  Though don't take my word for it as it is a very popular resort, apparently! Very bracing!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: June 29, 2023, 06:13:21 PM »
You're not selling it to me Linda :laugh: Any recommendations? We need to go by train or bus. We're planning on visiting Knaresborough.
I forgot to ask how your work's progressing?
I'm off to see what Sainsbury's are giving away!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: June 29, 2023, 07:00:51 PM »
Ilkley - got a Betty's Tea Rooms!  I've been meaning to go to Saltaire but haven't got round to it yet.  Ripon.  Haworth for the Bronte experience.  Richmond.  Robin Hood's Bay.  I'd steer well clear of Bridlington!   Plenty of pretty villages in the Yorkshire Dales.  If you take the Carlisle-Settle train there are plenty of stops along the way and the trains are quite frequent - unless there are rails strikes, of course.
Venture further north and you are in the Lakes, venture a little further and you are in my territory!! Could meet you in Kendal for a sausage sarnie!
Last time I went to Scarborough it poured down, was very windy and crammed full of amusement arcades and fish and chip shops -  :(  Enjoy!  >:D

Work's going well, thanks Pen.  9 hours a week - enough for anybody!

Trying to think of a quiz for book club tonight - may take some time and effort and I don't really come to life until lunch time!  >:D