Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821046 times)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9645 on: June 09, 2023, 03:59:14 PM »
Hi Penny

Certainly not leaving Kendal! Yes it is the 3 staircases (plus one outside too!). We fell in love with the house and its quirky layout and most of all the view accross the valley of the castle etc but we were always mindful of having to move eventually to a more practical house. We are both healthy but it is better to sort this now than when one or both of us is not. I will miss my view and the handy location but it is time. The problem is this is not an easy house to sell as most people want what they know ie a square box with rooms where they are used to so we need another set of people like us who see the beauty of this place and forget the "must have list."
Christine

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: June 09, 2023, 06:10:00 PM »
Hi Pen and Christine

Your house sounds lovely, Christine.  I love quirky.  Our house has two flights of stairs but one leads up to son's former bedroom so I don't have to go up those too often now!  I have often wondered about The Bristly Hog (which seems to be a busy little place) and will give it a go.  As to scrambled eggs, I often make them and often throw them in the bin.  They have got to be perfect for me to enjoy them - not too runny and not too rubbery!  It's an art! 

Son and girlfriend went to a wedding in Winslow I believe, Pen.  Stayed overnight and on down to London to see Sparks at the Royal Albert Hall.  They like a bit of retro and said they were fantastic. 

Another hot day and work is progressing (too slowly for my liking!!) with the extension.  Hordes of 'visitors' have now descended so I think the police and RSPCA will have their work cut out.  I can't bear to see the horses tethered up in the hot weather without shade and sufficient water.   :(

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: June 09, 2023, 06:47:08 PM »
Hi Linda and Christine

Your house sounds amazing Christine and I don't doubt it'll be a wrench to leave it.  You're doing the sensible thing but that doesn't make it any easier.  Milton Keynes is full of square boxes  :(

Winslow is a small town about a 15 minute drive from me.  I haven't been for about four years but it's lovely & well out of the boundary of MK!  I'm glad son and girlfriend enjoyed Sparks.  I now have an earworm which I'm desperate to get rid of.  This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us  >:D  Glad the extension is coming along - it'll be finished before you know it.

The 'visitors' are a bloody nuisance and treat their horses dreadfully. What's worse is it's going to be a scorcher this weekend so the poor animals will be suffering  :cry:

On that cheery note I'm off to meet a friend.  Have a great day both of you  :)

Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: June 09, 2023, 07:32:14 PM »
Winslow is a small town about a 15 minute drive from me.

Near enough not to let the pink get warm! 

We have a window lintel in now!!  How exciting! 

I think This Town was their closing number and went down a storm. 

Have a lovely, lazy day in the sunshine, Pen.

Christine, are you considering the new retirement flats going up near the station?  Maybe a mews flat in the town centre? 

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: June 10, 2023, 01:47:41 AM »
Linda
no flats thanks - we have a dog - plus the maintainence charges will be horrendous! I can't understand why anybody would want one in that development as Longpool is a noisy and dirty road. The ones on the old courthouse site are a better prospect if that kind of development floats your boat. I don't think either of us (but especially hubby) are sociable enough for that kind of living. Too bah humbug! We expected to buy a character old terrace when we were looking last time and fninished up with this almost new modern house so we are back on the hunt for an older property. We have seen a few different types of house but still come back in our heads to an old terrace. Currently keen on one that is ready to move into and whilst a little bit further from the town centre is still a nice flat walk to the shops via the park/riverside and when we get decrepit we will use a taxi!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: June 10, 2023, 04:53:57 AM »

Near enough not to let the pink get warm! 

We have a window lintel in now!!  How exciting! 

Most definitely Linda! It would have still been nicely chilled :laugh:  Coincidentally I have a bottle in the fridge for a bit later  >:D

That is very exciting!  If they've got the window lintel in they must be making good progress  :)

I'm off to flop in front of the box!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: June 10, 2023, 12:20:29 PM »
Surname of lady in picture four. 

Hi Pen,

I think she only had that surname from 1979 until 1987  :D.  Nevertheless, a great and clever rebus.

My rebus is the first two lines of a song written in the late 1950s but which was most popular in the mid-60s.

#2(1’1) #7’  #5 2 3 #3 #3
#1 #6 3 #3 #3 3 #3 #3

Conceptual Line 1(position essential) - Pictures 1-5.
Conceptual Line 2 -Pictures 6-11.
3 Definite articles and apostrophes not pictured.

Picture 2.  Remove the last letter.
Picture 3.  Present particle.  Remove the last letter.
Picture 4. Slang.
Picture 6.  This time remove the last 2 letters.
Pictures 7 and 11.  Homophone.
Pictures 8 and 10.  Middle Name.
Picture 9.  Remove the first letter.

I must get back to Samuel Tay.
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #9652 on: June 10, 2023, 02:31:18 PM »
Great rebus Jack.

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9653 on: June 10, 2023, 03:09:39 PM »
...and a great song too!!! Resurrected by the Clash in 1977 and the Stray Cats in 1993...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: June 10, 2023, 06:26:28 PM »
I can't understand why anybody would want one in that development as Longpool is a noisy and dirty road.

Phew!  I was thinking along the same lines, Christine, but didn't want to say in case it was your idea of a dream location!!   >:D

We're a bit 'bah humbug' too and we live in a Victorian terrace house - perfect neighbours for you.  I'm not keen on 'modern' houses but can see the appeal of a modern bungalow as the years roll by and the joints become stiffer but will resist as long as we're able to stagger up the stairs.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: June 10, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
Linda
we wouldn't mind a bungalow but the ones we can afford are either too small or in a location we don't like. When I sold new houses I hated down sizers and now I am one I do try not to go and view things which are a downsize too far.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: June 10, 2023, 10:47:23 PM »
We're a bit 'bah humbug' too and we live in a Victorian terrace house - perfect neighbours for you.  I'm not keen on 'modern' houses but can see the appeal of a modern bungalow as the years roll by and the joints become stiffer but will resist as long as we're able to stagger up the stairs.

The level of staggering might depend on how much wine had been consumed Linda  >:D  :laugh:

I don't know what it's like up your way but it's extremely hot and sticky here today. Very muggy :(  I popped out for a couple of bits first thing and then had a quick walk.  Apart from getting my sheets off the line I'm not venturing out again. They're forecasting thunderstorms for today and tomorrow so I may well be hiding in the cupboard under the stairs  :laugh:

I think you'd make a great neighbours  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: June 11, 2023, 12:10:06 AM »

I think she only had that surname from 1979 until 1987  :D.  Nevertheless, a great and clever rebus.

My rebus is the first two lines of a song written in the late 1950s but which was most popular in the mid-60s.

Hi Jack

Back at you!  That was a brilliant rebus - stretched my poor old heat frazzled brain  :laugh:  It didn't dawn on me that the lady in question only had that surname for a few years.  I remember now that she was married to an Australian great white shark for a short period  ;D

My rebus is a song that's had several outings. A bit easy peasy compared to yours!

2 (#4 + #2) 9 (#2 + #7)

Please use the first name of the actress in picture three.  You need the present tense of picture four and then please change the first letter and pretend it's all on one line.

Leave you with a corny joke ;D

A gorilla goes up to a bar and asks for a gin and tonic.
The bartender makes the G&T and says: "That'll be £20 - and I must say we don't get many gorillas in here."
The gorilla replies: "With prices like that, I'm not surprised."

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: June 11, 2023, 12:13:02 AM »
It is very hot here today, Pen but also very blustery - perfect washing day if I could get to my washing line, which I can't.  Thunderstorms forecast here for tomorrow afternoon/evening - love them, except when the TV goes off in the middle of a Midsomer, or worse, a Foyle!

I can manage a fair amount of wine without staggering, fortunately!  Hardy northern stock!

Just been for a little walk but it's really too hot for much exertion and the combination of sun, wind and lupins in a neighbour's garden has made me hayfevery.  Having a reviving strong cup of coffee before thinking about what to have for tea.  Probably some sort of salad with lots of our favourite condiment!  >:D

Hope you not too scared of the thunder - just turn up the TV and ignore it.  I'll be stood at the window!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: June 11, 2023, 04:27:24 AM »

Just been for a little walk but it's really too hot for much exertion and the combination of sun, wind and lupins in a neighbour's garden has made me hayfevery.  Having a reviving strong cup of coffee before thinking about what to have for tea.  Probably some sort of salad with lots of our favourite condiment!  >:D

Hope you not too scared of the thunder - just turn up the TV and ignore it.  I'll be stood at the window!  >:D

You're right Linda - far too hot to do anything much today. It doesn't seem to be cooling down much yet either. I do try to ignore the thunder and lightning but it's hard for me. 

Zoe will sympathise with you.  Her hayfever is terrible at the moment and on top of that she has tonsilitis - not a great combination :(

I had an M&S ping for tea - nice and easy.  I've got salad tomorrow with lashings of our favourite condiment.  I got some Jersey spuds and crossing my fingers that they're ok.  Last lot I had were a bit earthy.

I might give Foyle a whirl tonight :)  Have a change from Tom Barnaby!