Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821813 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9630 on: June 07, 2023, 10:11:09 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 6/6

Pen 5/6

Jack 5/6

Date reflects the author's time zone.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:54:38 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: June 07, 2023, 10:42:34 PM »
What a smashing picture Jack - a lovely distraction in the middle of a very busy afternoon  :)  She seems to have had a bit of a growth spurt  :laugh: 
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: June 08, 2023, 01:34:08 AM »
Hi Penny
I am spared too much contact with the visitors now that I am retired. The main thing in Kendal was the annual invasion of the (now closed) small department store I worked in for bargains in large quantities that "needed to be reduced more" and were often a distraction technique anyway (fill in the blanks!).
We were in Sedbergh last week and walked through a field full of tethered horses that had only got in there because the wall had been kicked over. It's poor Linda who is at the centre of things. Good luck this year Linda.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: June 08, 2023, 02:23:06 AM »
At least one of you escapes Christine. My thoughts will be with Linda. Hopefully she's able to stay at home & batten down the hatches. It's a great shame there's no way of stopping it. More trouble than it's worth. Penx

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: June 08, 2023, 12:53:50 PM »
Is it the Appleby Horse Fair that you're referring to? Every year I mean ask...so today I have Googled and come up with a link to lancs.live....sounds interesting and possibly community dividing. If it's not this event...please tell me what the invasion is. Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: June 08, 2023, 05:28:50 PM »
Hi Pen,

Have you ever had the thought that at five foot you are only five subway sandwiches long.  But God only lets people grow until they are perfect.  Some get there quicker than others.

Bonnie says real dogs aren’t frightened by cold water
Other pups are just cute

I’ve been on another reading binge about a Singaporean copper by Jake Needham.

Inspector Samuel Tay is the best homicide detective Singapore CID ever had, but Tay's bosses don't like him and he doesn't like them. The maverick streak he inherited from his American father makes people uneasy in well-ordered little Singapore where go-along-to-get-along is practically the national religion.

They are a bit unusual, each one is a bit slow starting but once you get into them hard to put down.  I’ll try to drag myself away to construct a rebus tomorrow. >:D

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: June 08, 2023, 06:10:17 PM »
Is it the Appleby Horse Fair that you're referring to?

Afraid so!  Luckily, we don't live in the thick of things and I only work very part time now so can avoid the chaos as long as I don't wander too far - which I won't! 
Heavy police presence this year and most of the pubs have shut.  Opinion may be divided but I think the majority of locals would be glad to see the back of the Fair for good. 

the annual invasion of the (now closed) small department store I worked

I bet I know which store that was - used to be one of my favourites!!  Sad to see it standing empty now.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: June 08, 2023, 10:42:03 PM »
Hi Linda
the refurbishment of Beales is continuing. Won't be long now until a wine bar opens in the corner that was originally NORWEB and they are returning bits at the rear (damp ,dark ,uneven floored stock rooms)to cottages. The whole place was a dangerous mess and from what you can see as you pass they are doing a thorough job. It should end up as somewhere nicer to work as it may be warm , leak free and have electric sockets that work!! Whether the idea of independant businesses in the main area will succeed we will have to wait and see. I miss being there as most of my collegues were so lovely to work with and welcomed me warmly as an in comer to Kendal.
Christine

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: June 09, 2023, 12:58:20 AM »
We may have seen each other there without knowing, Christine.  My last purchase there was two suitcases in the sale - still going strong.  I wish there was a Seasalt in Kendal - ideal sort of place for one I would have thought.  Still, at least there is a White Stuff (overpriced I always think but nice clothes) and our go to place for coffee and bacon/sausage baps - Booths.  Occasionally go into Farrers but it's always so busy and the stairs haven't been great for me recently with my recovering hip.  I love Kendal and would very much like to live there if the house prices would plummet or if I won the Lottery!!  Watch this space!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: June 09, 2023, 01:06:17 AM »

Have you ever had the thought that at five foot you are only five subway sandwiches long.  But God only lets people grow until they are perfect.  Some get there quicker than others.

Bonnie says real dogs aren’t frightened by cold water
Other pups are just cute

I’ve been on another reading binge about a Singaporean copper by Jake Needham.

Hi Jack

I can honestly say that the thought had never entered my head!  I couldn't stop chuckling when I read your post - it really tickled me :laugh:

Two more cracking pictures  :-*  Bonnie looks as if she's game for anything and Ruby looks like butter wouldn't melt  :laugh:

Those books sound like they'd make a good telly series!

I've done a bit of light house work and been to Sainsburys.  I needed some screen wipes but Sainsburys don't sell them any more so I walked into town after lunch but came home empty handed   :(  All I got for my trouble was very overheated!

I've got a busy day tomorrow - meeting an old friend and a hospital appointment in the afternoon - so I thought I'd better get a rebus done today :)  It's a song from the 1970's which a busker was mangling when I walked past  :(

#2 #4, #5 #5 #6

Please use the first word in picture two and change the first letter and lose the last. Surname of lady in picture four.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

Thought this was appropriate  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: June 09, 2023, 01:10:04 AM »

I love Kendal and would very much like to live there if the house prices would plummet or if I won the Lottery!!  Watch this space!  >:D

I haven't been to Kendal for a few years Linda but it is a lovely  :)  I'll keep my fingers crossed for your lottery win!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: June 09, 2023, 01:26:45 AM »
Thanks, Pen.  Seeing as how I don't even do the Lottery there's not much chance, however hubby dabbles in it so who knows! 

We were playing an album in the car by the people who sang your rebus song just the other day.  Great voices and great songs - though not the rebus song so much for me.

Son and girlfriend were at a wedding in Bucks last weekend - should have got them to drop by with a bottle of pink for you from me!  Very hot here today so a glass of something cool and vaguely alcoholic will be absolutely necessary this evening!  >:D

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: June 09, 2023, 01:58:43 AM »
Linda
Try The Bristly Hog next time you are in Kendal. Good food and really good coffee and very friendly staff.  If you like scrambled egg I can guarantee they do the best you will ever have but everything is nice. Look out for a black and white cocker spaniel forcing a couple to enter the cafe!!

If you win the lottery this weekend you can buy our house as we are on the market. We have a lot of stairs but a lottery winner could afford 3 stannah lifts!!  Christine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: June 09, 2023, 04:29:18 AM »
Oh Christine you're not leaving Kendal are you? or just moving to something with less stairs?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: June 09, 2023, 04:37:00 AM »

We were playing an album in the car by the people who sang your rebus song just the other day.  Great voices and great songs - though not the rebus song so much for me.

Son and girlfriend were at a wedding in Bucks last weekend - should have got them to drop by with a bottle of pink for you from me!  Very hot here today so a glass of something cool and vaguely alcoholic will be absolutely necessary this evening!  >:D

I agree Linda (of course >:D) - not one of my favourite tracks.  The busker in town was singing it but it was barely recognisable! Took me a minute to work out what it was  :laugh:

You definitely should have asked your son and girlfriend to stop off with a bottle of pink plonk for me - that would have been brilliant! Where did they go? Can you remember?  Enjoy your chilled beverage in this beautiful sunshine  :)
Penx