Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821034 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9615 on: June 02, 2023, 12:50:43 AM »

I think I have the answer to your rebus. I can't see the relationship between the author and Tom Jones and grumpy cat, but I identified it by other means. >:D.

Hi Jack

I've had a busy but enjoyable day.  It's rather chilly here but the sun's trying to come out so I'm hoping to get out for a walk in a little while.

Sorry I should have told you to ignore Grumpy Cat - he was a red kipper  :laugh:

Loved your rebus - a bit tricky but not enough to pull my hair out  :)  My simple rebus is a tagline for an animated film which I love and have seen a few times.

6 (#2 + #4) #2 #3 #6

Picture two is four words - please just use the first.  Please lose the first two letters of picture three.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

Heathrow Airport Customs Staff are concerned at the number of passengers smuggling helium filled balloons in their luggage…
Cases continue to rise!

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: June 03, 2023, 12:03:02 AM »
G'day Jack

It's a nice sunny afternoon but we've got a rather chilly breeze.  I've been to Barbs' and we had a walk and a gossip with a cuppa ;D

My rebus is an expression.
#6 #3 #5 #3 #4

Please change the second letter of picture one - a relatively new way of referring to Rooty  :-R.  Please lose the first three letters of picture two.  Can you remember the name of the gent in picture three?  Add a letter at the beginning of his first name and change what then becomes the fourth letter.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.
& then tell me I've used this before  :laugh:

Scientists have invented a car that runs on parsley.
They hope to use this technology to make trains run on thyme.

Thyme I wasn't here  ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: June 03, 2023, 10:00:53 AM »
& then tell me I've used this before  :laugh:

Hi Pen,

Although I found several instances of duplication of rebuses about Old Nick, your latest one wasn’t one of them. Well done.

We were looking after Ruby from just after lunch yesterday until past our normal bedtime because the Cleveland mob were at a school function.  We and the dogs were exhausted by the time Ruby was picked up.

The answer to my rebus is the first line of a poem by a WWI poet which ends with a Latin quote from Horace which translates as “ It is sweet and proper to die for one's country.” He quite properly labels this as “The old lie:” 

#4  #6, #4  #3  #7 5 #5

Position vital. Line 1 Picture 1.  Line 2 Pictures 2-6

Picture 5.  Remove the first letter.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 10:09:05 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: June 04, 2023, 01:20:31 AM »

Although I found several instances of duplication of rebuses about Old Nick, your latest one wasn’t one of them. Well done.

We were looking after Ruby from just after lunch yesterday until past our normal bedtime because the Cleveland mob were at a school function.  We and the dogs were exhausted by the time Ruby was picked up.

The answer to my rebus is the first line of a poem by a WWI poet which ends with a Latin quote from Horace

Hi Jack

That's a phew from me  :laugh:  Having thought about it I was sure I'd used it before!  Your rebus was excellent  :)  It took me ages to crack it and that was after I'd sought a little help.  I guessed the poet but didn't want to resort to looking up his work so I struggled on until I got there in the end! 

I'm late on parade today and by the time I'd had a real tussle with your clever rebus I didn't have time to do one of my own!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: June 04, 2023, 11:58:27 PM »

Hi Jack

I'm back with a rebus as promised.  It's a bit of Shakespeare.

#5 #1 #7 #4 #2 1 #7 #3

A

Please change the third letter of picture one, the second letter of picture four and the first letter of the last picture. 
Pictures six and seven together represent the seventh word.  Please lose the second letter and then change the first.  A couple of homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

At the height of the gulf war, the expertise of Red Adair (that well known
fire fighter) was called upon to go out to the gulf and put out the oil rig
fires.
On his way his plane landed in Ireland for an overnight stop so Red took
advantage to visit the local bar for a pint of the black stuff. On entering the
bar two old Irish boys witnessed him walk in and one said to the other. 'Isn't
that Red Adair'?  The other replied, 'No'.
The old boy then said, 'I'm sure it is and I'm so sure that I will bet you a
pint if I am wrong'. The doubting one said, 'Ok' and they both went over to Red
and the one said, 'Are you Red Adair'?  To which Red said he was.
The doubting Irishman said, 'Are you still dancing with Ginger Rogers'?

Leave you with a silly joke ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: June 05, 2023, 12:28:06 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 4/6

Jack 3/6

Pen 2/6

Pen 1/6

Jack 1/6

Pen 31/5

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: June 05, 2023, 04:14:20 PM »
Hi Pen,

I had a lazy weekend binge reading 3 books and a novella from the historical fiction series by Ashley Gardner about the adventures of Leonidas, a Retired Gladiator.  They are light weight but very entertaining and despite a bit of blood and gore are feel-good stories.  The character of Emperor Nero is given a more sympathetic view than I expected but it doesn’t paper over his faults. I’ll give more details if anyone is interested.

The dogwalkers put a nice post about Bonnie on Facebook which in part said:
Bonnie is a legend!
Jasper joined her on her walk today and at first, she was like "Who are you and why are you with my humans?"
Jasper was totally oblivious and just plodding along as he does. Neither are reactive to other pups and both are easy going once they get to know you. We are always alert and careful when introducing new pups to each other. By the end of the walk, they were quite content to just walk with each other.

My rebus is a movie that predates you but not by much and this is a good time to present it,

Conceptionally one line.  One Homophone. One initial.

#1-#3, #3  #5  #2  #4

Picture 3.  Only the first letters.
Picture 4.  You know who she is but where did she come in the scheme of things.
Picture 5.  One word (4).  Use the middle letters.
Picture 6.  Two words (4,4) You need the second singular word.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 04:16:17 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: June 05, 2023, 08:43:38 PM »
despite a bit of blood and gore are feel-good stories. 

The dogwalkers put a nice post about Bonnie on Facebook which in part said:

My rebus is a movie that predates you but not by much and this is a good time to present it,

Hi Jack

It's Monday morning on a busy fracture clinic and I'm wishing I was with your dog walker and Bonnie and Jasper   :laugh:  Great pictures   :)

I'll pass on the books with blood and gore if it's all the same to you thanks  :laugh:

Your rebus is very apt and cleverly presented  :)  My rebus is sort of connected to yours...

9 (#2 #2 #5) #7

Please lose the first letter of picture one and the first two letters of picture three. 

Nearly lunchtime hurrah  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: June 06, 2023, 07:01:07 AM »
I'll pass on the books with blood and gore if it's all the same to you thanks  :laugh:
My rebus is sort of connected to yours...

Hi Pen,

There is less blood and gore than you would get in some of the episodes of Midsomer Murders.

I would have thought your rebus was directly connected to mine although the fourth picture puzzled me because I jumped to the conclusion you meant the overall .action but now realise you were referring to the naval part of the action.  When will I remember it pays to check.. :-[
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 04:18:07 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: June 06, 2023, 08:01:46 PM »
There is less blood and gore than you would get in some of the episodes of Midsomer Murders.

I would have thought your rebus was directly connected to mine although the fourth picture puzzled me because I jumped to the conclusion you meant the overall .action but now realise you were referring to the naval part of the action.  When will I remember it pays to check.. :-[

Hi Jack

But Midsomer Murders isn't real is it?   >:D   Linda hasn't made any comment about Inspector Lewis being in the most recent episode  :laugh: 

Sorry! I was trying, in my cackhanded way, not to be too obvious!  Were you expecting...

8 (#4 + #4)

Please lose first and and last five letters of picture one.  Don't think you need any help with picture two  ;)

I've got a bit of an idea for a proper rebus but not sure I have enough time to sort it before lunch.  Hopefully

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: June 07, 2023, 12:24:19 AM »
I'm Back Jack

Not sure what sort of afternoon I'm in for.  Hoping not too frantic!

My rebus is an expression often used by my Dad when I was young and wouldn't sit still.

#5 #2 #3 #3 #4 1 #8 #5

A

Please use the middle two letters of picture two. One homophone with an apostrophe and please pretend it's all on one line.

Nearly home time thank goodness!  This tickled me

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 12:27:33 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: June 07, 2023, 06:46:55 AM »
Hi Pen,

I did jump to the wrong conclusion without thinking about it and then later in the day I thought I should have another look at it.

You might be amused at Bing's response on the origin of your latest rebus.

The phrase has different meanings depending on the context. It can mean:

- **Denoting speed and repetition**, such as going in and out of a place quickly.
- **All over the place**, in terms of useless over-activity, especially in Australian slang.
- **Rapid and enthusiastic copulation**, often used humorously or crudely.

The origin of the phrase is not clear, The earliest recorded use of the phrase dates back to 1793.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: June 07, 2023, 07:20:44 PM »
Linda hasn't made any comment about Inspector Lewis being in the most recent episode

How remiss of me, Pen!  He was awful.  The programmes are getting more and more ridiculous.  Bring back Tom, I say.  >:D

Hunkering down now ready for the onslaught of the 'visitors' to our little town!  :(

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: June 07, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »

You might be amused at Bing's response on the origin of your latest rebus.

Hi Jack

I was very amused and slightly  :-[  Considering I've got a naughty and silly sense of humour that last meaning didn't even cross my mind  :laugh:  Numpty!  Much prefer the Aussie slang version ;D

'Haven't I seen your face before?' Judge Cleary demanded, looking down at the defendant.
'Yes, you have, Your Honour,' the man answered hopefully. 'I gave your son violin lessons last winter.'
'Ah, yes,' recalled Judge Cleary. 'Twenty years!'

Michael O'Leary was waiting at the bus stop with his friend, Paddy Maguire, when a lorry went by loaded up with rolls of turf.
O'Leary turned and said, 'I'm gonna do that when I win the lottery, Paddy.'
'What's that, Michael?' responds his mate.
'Send me lawn away to be cut,' concludes O'Leary.

Roll on lunchtime  :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: June 07, 2023, 08:49:54 PM »

How remiss of me, Pen!  He was awful.  The programmes are getting more and more ridiculous.  Bring back Tom, I say.  >:D

Hunkering down now ready for the onslaught of the 'visitors' to our little town!  :(

Very remiss Linda  :laugh:  The newer ones aren't a patch on the old ones.  I still watch them but you're right they are getting dafter and dafter.

Is that a year gone? :o  I can't believe it's that time again already.  I hope you and Christine don't have too much hassle.

I'm looking forward to my ham and coleslaw sarnie  :-H