Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820131 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9585 on: May 25, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »
My rebus today is another film I'd never watch :laugh:  It's much more up Zoe's street. Wonder if John's watched it.

I've only seen the first movie of that franchise...

The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: May 25, 2023, 11:21:45 PM »
Squeamish from Bletchley

I've only seen the first movie of that franchise...

You're not wrong John!  I like a bit of suspense but no blood and guts thank you!  Have you seen What Lies Beneath?  It's a great film and very jumpy in places :laugh:  Not a typical Harrison Ford offering.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: May 25, 2023, 11:39:01 PM »
Quite right, Pen!  Give me Brief Encounter or The Remains of the Day and I'm as happy as I can be watching a film.  Much prefer to be reading a book.  Just finished Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively and will be recommending to book club - will probably get shot down in flames, but there you go! Each to his/her own. 

Meagre lunch today as going to pub tonight for meal with work colleagues - am pretty ravenous already and can't decide on the Cumberland sausage or lasagne.  Maybe the steak and ale pie or maybe the moussaka!  Decisions, decisions!  Yum  :-H >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: May 26, 2023, 12:14:51 AM »

Mildred was the church gossip and self-appointed monitor of the church's morals.

You would remember that on 2 April last year, my rebus was a pangram, “The quick brown fox jumped over a lazy dog”. I have found a pangram that uses fewer letters.

Hi Jack

Blue never fails to make me laugh!  I had a mental picture of him parking his ute and strolling off down the road :laugh:

My compliments on a clever rebus  ;)  I had to resort to pen and paper to sort it in the end!

My rebus is a palindrome.

#4 #3 #2 1 8 (#3 + #2 + #3) #3

A
Please lose the first letter of picture one & just use the middle two letters of picture three. Change the second letter of picture four and lose the first three letters of picture six.  Finally, please lose the last letter of picture seven and pretend it's all on one line. (sorry I probably should mention that you need the film in picture five)

I attended the wedding reception of an old friend's niece.  The groom stood to say a few words. He turned to his bride's mother. "You've given me a gift," he began, "a gift that..."
Here he paused in thought, whereupon his mother-in-law completed the sentence, "That you can't return!"

I'm off to have a cuppa finish my housework.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: May 26, 2023, 12:21:09 AM »

Just finished Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively and will be recommending to book club - will probably get shot down in flames, but there you go! Each to his/her own. 

Meagre lunch today as going to pub tonight for meal with work colleagues - am pretty ravenous already and can't decide on the Cumberland sausage or lasagne.  Maybe the steak and ale pie or maybe the moussaka!  Decisions, decisions!  Yum  :-H >:D

Oh Linda you're making me hungry :laugh:  If I set off now will I be in time to join you?  We can have a good dither together >:D

My Mum used to say it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing  :)  It's a great read and, hopefully, the book club will accept it!

Have a smashing evening  :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: May 26, 2023, 01:19:00 AM »
If I set off now will I be in time to join you?

In a word - no!  If you hurry you might be able to join me later at book club and we can share a bottle of pink!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: May 26, 2023, 01:55:38 AM »
Sounds perfect to me!  Love a drop of pink as you know >:D  Better get my skates on  :-C

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: May 26, 2023, 07:59:19 AM »
My compliments on a clever rebus  ;)  I had to resort to pen and paper to sort it in the end!

Hi Pen,

Snap on both counts.

But I got a big surprise when I finally worked it out.  I had a vague memory it had been used before and when I searched, I found I had used it twice before.  The second time I had no memory of using it the first time which was only seven months before.  There is no doubt, however, that yours is the cleverest presentation of the three.

Must go, I need my second cup of coffee.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: May 26, 2023, 11:52:49 PM »

But I got a big surprise when I finally worked it out.  I had a vague memory it had been used before and when I searched, I found I had used it twice before.

The book Zoe was reading, on the other hand, had glowing reviews including the one quoted but I am not sure it is for.me.  How did Zoe find it?

Hi Jack

I'd completely forgotten that you'd already used that palindrome.  Of course sod's law dictates that I remembered as soon as you reminded me :laugh:

I finally remembered to ask Zoe about All The Light We Cannot See.  She's only about a third of the way through it but she's enjoying it so far.

I've been up to Barbs' for a walk and had some lunch.  I've got to go out again at about 4 and pick Zoe up and drop her at the pub.  She and Rex are meeting up with a load of friends this evening.

My rebus today is a place in your neck of the woods. About half a minute?  >:D  :laugh:

5 (#4 + #1) #5

Please change the first letter of picture three and one homophone.

Dijon vu - the same mustard as before.

A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the bathroom!

This tickled me ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: May 27, 2023, 12:45:24 PM »
I've been up to Barbs' for a walk and had some lunch. 
My rebus today is a place in your neck of the woods.

Hi Pen,

I was curious because you keep referring to going up to Barbs.  This topographical map shows that Bletchley is relatively flat with no significant hills or mountains.  So I was wondering whether Barb lives on a hill or whether up means north.   

When we lived in Canberra, we used to have this conversation with our Sydney friends.  We would go up to Sydney because it was North.  They would come up to Canberra because they were going from sea-level to 2000 ft.

If within 500 miles of here is still in our neck of the woods, you are right.  A remarkable coincidence was that on talk-back radio this morning, they were talking about a club at that place called the Icebergs whose members swim in the local ocean baths all year round.  The swimming club was established in 1929. A defining characteristic of the Club is a rule that to maintain membership it was mandatory that swimmers compete on three Sundays out of four for a period of five years.

Ruby visited us yesterday.  For the first time, Bonnie decided it wasn’t below her dignity to play with Ruby.  Michelle, one of our dog walkers, came to give Ruby one of her regular lessons in obedience at our place.  This was one photo she posted to Facebook.

Here is one of Ruby that my daughter took

Time for lunch of fried tomatoes again to get the little grey cells working.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:50:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: May 27, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »
Nothing held back. Just pure dog joy.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: May 27, 2023, 04:12:29 PM »
Nothing held back. Just pure dog joy.

Captured it completely in a few words.  Best wishes
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: May 27, 2023, 10:46:41 PM »

I was curious because you keep referring to going up to Barbs.  This topographical map shows that Bletchley is relatively flat with no significant hills or mountains.[/url]  So I was wondering whether Barb lives on a hill or whether up means north.   

If within 500 miles of here is still in our neck of the woods, you are right. 

This was one photo she posted to Facebook.

Here is one of Ruby that my daughter took

Time for lunch of fried tomatoes again to get the little grey cells working.

Hi Jack

That's a very good question and I have absolutely no idea why I always say that!!  When I drive out of my close to head to Barbs' I actually go down hill so it makes no sense whatsoever :-R  Perhaps, in future, I should just say I've been to see Barbs  ;D

I thought 500 miles was a short hop and a skip for you  >:D  :laugh:

Wonderful pictures of Bonnie and Ruby  :-*  Paula summed it up perfectly.

You can never have too many tomatoes!  My lunch was a tuna baguette.  Very nice but not as exciting as yours.

I'm just waiting for Zoe to arrive :)  I'll return with a rebus tomorrow.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: May 28, 2023, 02:53:30 PM »
Hi Pen,

The Cleveland mob got some news of Dusty, so this post is about him.

Quote from: Jess at Taaffeite
Thought you might like a Dusty update. He’s still going wonderfully with Waz and Cathrine. They absolutely adore him and although he’s gotten a bit chubby from all the love, he’s still living an active life.
Waz often takes Dusty down to check on the goats and chickens and loves that Dusty has no interest in chasing or eating them 😅
They play frisbee every day (until Dusty gets sick of it and needs a break).
Cathrine walks him every morning, rain or shine (waz actually drives out to pick them up if it’s raining because he feels bad for Dusty, Cathrine wonders why he never did that when it was just her walking haha).
Yesterday, when they were at the creek, Dusty got tangled in some weeds so Waz jumped in after him and they both walked home soaking wet.
The stories of their adventures crack me up, I’m sure they’ll be bittersweet for you guys too.
I hope you’re well, sending love, Jess

My Daughter replied.

Hi Jess, thank you so much for your message. It made us all very happy and misty-eyed as we still miss Dusty so much and talk about him all the time. The boys have been begging me for ages to ask you for an update and a photo but I haven’t wanted to intrude so hearing his adventures is a real treat for us. We’re so thrilled that he has such a wonderful life with Cathrine and Waz. It sounds just perfect for him. Mum and Dad and Michelle (Bonnie’s dog walker) will also be thrilled to hear he is happy and healthy as they adore him too. Please give Dusty big pats next time you see him. He will always have a very special place in our hearts and we love hearing about his adventures - he does sound like he has everyone wrapped around his paws!
Lots of love from us 

Dusty’s Photo
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: May 28, 2023, 04:51:12 PM »
Thanks, Jack. Lovely to get a Dusty update.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia