Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820400 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9570 on: May 20, 2023, 12:16:09 AM »

I hope you will be as happy as you can be with a banjo on your knee.

I will give you one extra clue to my rebus.  The letter discarded in the second picture is a “P”.

Hi Jack

I'm strumming away as we speak  :laugh:

I'd already guessed that I needed to lose the "p" in the second picture which left me a choice of two words.  One of which didn't make any sense!  It's the seven letter word I'm struggling with.  I've stared at it and tried several different alternatives but sadly failed.  I'm sorry but I have to throw in the towel  :(  When I know the answer I've no doubt I'll go
a

My rebus is something that happened about 80 years ago to the day. 

10 (#3 + #4 #3) #4

Picture one you need the middle part of characters name and then reverse it.  Please change the first letter of picture two and the last of picture four.  Can you remember the name of the island where Inspector Barnaby was a copper before Midsomer?  Please use three letters from the middle.  All on one line please.

What do you call a group of men waiting for a haircut...?
A barbercue!

Am in dire need of a cuppa!

This is a repeat but it just tickles me ;D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: May 20, 2023, 04:00:57 AM »
It's the seven letter word I'm struggling with.  I've stared at it and tried several different alternatives but sadly failed.  I'm sorry but I have to throw in the towel  :(

Good early Morning, Pen.

I’ll try to get around to the spoiler alerts later this morning when I have had a couple more hours of kip.

In the meantime, the letters dropped from Pictures 3 and 4 were “P” and “F”.

The Codename “Chastise” comes to mind for your rebus.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: May 20, 2023, 04:18:28 AM »

In the meantime, the letters dropped from Pictures 3 and 4 were “P” and “F”.

The Codename “Chastise” comes to mind for your rebus.

Thanks Jack I'll have one more wrestle with it!

You are, of course, quite correct about my rebus  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: May 20, 2023, 10:52:51 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 19/5

Pen 18/5

Jack 18/5

Pen 17/5

Jack 17/5

Pen 16/5

Date reflects the author's time zone.

If any forumite has an idea for a clever or funny or educational rebus but does not feel they have the technical ability to present it, please send me a private message and I will do my best to develop it for you. 

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: May 20, 2023, 05:01:41 PM »

Hi Pen,

I’ve been a bit slack of late and left you to do the heavy lifting. Thanks for picking up the load.

When Blue was selling his farm in the Southern Highlands in preparation for moving to Brisbane, he needed to rid his farm of animals.

Because his neighbours had been so good to him over the years, he decided to give the animals away rather than sell them.

So he went to each of his neighbours. To the neighbours where the man is the boss, he gave a horse. To the neighbours where the woman is the boss, a chicken was given.

At one place, he saw his neighbours outside gardening.

Who’s the boss around here?” Blue asked.

I am.” said the man.

I have a black horse and a brown horse,” Blue said, “which one would you like?”

The man thought for a minute and said, “The black one.”

No, no, no, get the brown one.” the man’s wife said.

Here’s your chicken.” said Blue.

I’ll take a leaf out of your book and use another incident from WWII.  I will tell you a bit more about it when I do the spoiler alert.

#2 7(#4 #3) #4 3  9(#5 #4) #7

Conceptionally one line.

aka  

Picture 1. Two words (5,4). Abbreviate the first word.
Picture 2. Substitute "Z" for "S" in the acronym of the responsible organisation.
Picture 3. Two words (6,4).  Use the second word after you have removed the first letter.
Picture 4. Three words (3,5,7). Use the first letters of the third word.  The first two words are "Las Vegas".
Picture 5. Three words (6,5,5). Use the second word.
Picture 6. Two words (7,6). Use the first letters of the second word.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: May 21, 2023, 12:57:41 AM »

I’ve been a bit slack of late and left you to do the heavy lifting. Thanks for picking up the load.

Hi Jack

That's lovely thanks :)  but you don't need to thank me you silly soft sod  :-*

That was a great post  -Blue tickled me - as always  :laugh:  I enjoyed your rebus and only came unstuck with the American footballers!  Looking at your spoiler alert I realised where I went haywire with your previous rebus.  I thought I was tossing up between a priest or pastor for picture two.  Of course it was neither and I would have been there for a month of Sundays  :-R

I was a bit stumped for a puzzle today so I've chosen the book that Zoe's presently reading.  It may prove to be a bit easy!

#3 #3 #5 #2 6 (#3 + #3) #3

You need the country in picture two (not a million miles from here!) and then please use three consecutive letters. Please change the first letter of picture three and pretend it's all on one line.  Quite a few homophones ;)

That's all from me.  Leave you these from a bonkers film that I love ;D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 01:00:33 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: May 21, 2023, 11:12:30 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm enjoying a lovely lazy Sunday :)  It's nice and sunny but there's a very nippy wind!

My rebus today is another film I'd never watch :laugh:  It's much more up Zoe's street. Wonder if John's watched it.

8 (#3 + #3 + #2) #5 #6 7 (#4 + #3)

Please lose the last letters of pictures one and three. Past tense of picture five and you just need the first three letters of the last picture.  I've split it over two lines but please pretend it's all on one line.  There is method in my madness :laugh:

That's your lot!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: May 22, 2023, 12:29:26 PM »
My rebus today is another film I'd never watch :laugh:  It's much more up Zoe's street. Wonder if John's watched it.

Hi Pen,

A great pair of rebuses.

The film got mixed reviews, so apart from the genre you are probably right not to put it on your “to-watch” list.

The book Zoe was reading, on the other hand, had glowing reviews including the one quoted but I am not sure it is for.me.  How did Zoe find it?
It is a beautifully written and hauntingly evocative novel that transports readers to the heart of World War II Europe. The novel tells the story of a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. The novel is a Pulitzer Prize winner and has been highly recommended by many readers who enjoy historical fiction or simply appreciate masterful storytelling.

Blue purchased an old, run-down, abandoned farm on the outskirts of Brisbane with plans to turn it into a thriving enterprise. The fields were grown over with weeds, the farmhouse was falling apart, and the fences were broken down.

During his first day of work, the parish priest stops by to bless the Blue’s work, saying, “May you and God work together to make this the farm of your dreams!”

A few months later, the priest stops by again to call on Blue. The farm house is completely rebuilt and in excellent condition, there are plenty of cattle and other livestock happily munching on feed in well-fenced pens, and the fields are filled with crops planted in neat rows.

“Amazing!” the priest says. “Look what God and you have accomplished together!”

“Yes, father,” says Blue, “but remember what the farm was like when God was working it alone!”

A Texan farmer Came to Brisbane for a vacation. He visited Blue’s farm and got talking. Blue showed off his big wheat field and the Texan says, “Oh! We have wheat fields that are at least twice as large”. Then they walked around the farm a bit and Blue shows off his herd of cattle. The Texan immediately says,” We have longhorns that are at least twice as large as your cows”. The conversation has, meanwhile, almost died when the Texan sees a herd of kangaroos hopping through the paddock. He asks, “And what are those”?

Blue asked with an incredulous look, “Don’t you have any grasshoppers in Texas”?

A couple of days later, Blue noticed a towny picking mushrooms in a paddock where Blue kept his prize bull.   The towny noticed the bull and asked Blue, “ Is that bull safe?”.  Blue replied, “ Safer than you are!.

I’ll get this off, have a BBQ lunch of cheese topped fried tomatoes and then get a spoiler alert off.  I might even have enough energy after that to think of a rebus.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: May 22, 2023, 05:09:15 PM »

Pen 21/5

Pen 20/5

Jack 20/5

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: May 22, 2023, 09:02:46 PM »

The book Zoe was reading, on the other hand, had glowing reviews including the one quoted but I am not sure it is for.me.  How did Zoe find it?

I’ll get this off, have a BBQ lunch of cheese topped fried tomatoes and then get a spoiler alert off.  I might even have enough energy after that to think of a rebus.

Hi Jack

I've been trying to start a quick post for about an hour.  As I expected it's been very busy this morning.

I don't think Zoe's very far into that book but I'll ask her what she thinks of it.  Even if she's not enjoying it she wont give up!  Last year she read Ulysses by James Joyce.  She hated it but insisted on sticking with it to the bitter end.

Blue made me laugh out loud and cheered up a very trying morning  :laugh:

Your lunch made my mouth water and I'm now very hungry  :-H  I don't think an egg sarnie is going to cut the mustard somehow  :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: May 23, 2023, 04:41:29 PM »
Hi Pen,

I found my rebus in an article “Famous Novels With The Catchiest First Lines”.  This is a first line that should be known to some of you.  I hope it works.  Tell me the name of the author

2 #1 #4 2 #3 #6  #4 #5 #1 #6

Conceptually one line.  Complex positioning - two levels. I have pictured definite and indefinite articles because they are critical to the structure.

Picture 3.  Anagram.  Not the one that would put you to sleep.
Picture 4. Two words (9,5) You need an anagram of the second word.
Picture 8.  Past tense.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: May 24, 2023, 01:09:06 AM »

Hi Jack

Another busy day - barely had time to draw breath!  I had a wrestle with your very sneaky and clever rebus.  It's taken a while but the penny finally dropped!

My rebus is an entry into the easy peasy rebus competition ;D  Not an opening line but a well known excerpt from a famous novel.  I've got one hour to finish it...
6 (#4 + #2 #1 #7 #3

Please change the first letter of picture one.  Just one of picture five and two homophones and all on one line please.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: May 25, 2023, 12:16:35 AM »
Hi Jack

Just got to get through the next three and a bit hours and I then have five days off  :-)

Here's another nice and easy rebus for you.  It's a 19th century novel.

6 (#3 + #3 + #1) #4

One homophone and please run pictures two and three into each other.  Second part of actor's name please.  First four letters (of seven) of picture four and please pretend it's all on one line.

Only an hour and a half to go now!  This tickled me  ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: May 25, 2023, 06:57:30 AM »
Pen 24/5

Pen 23/5

Jack 23/5

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: May 25, 2023, 11:46:17 AM »
I then have five days off.

Hi Pen,

Mildred was the church gossip and self-appointed monitor of the church's morals. She kept sticking her nose into other people's business, even if other members did not approve of her extra-curricular activities. However, they feared her enough to maintain their silence.

Once, she accused Blue of being an alcoholic after she saw his old ute parked in front of the pub one afternoon.

She emphatically told Blue (and several others) that everyone seeing it there would know what he was doing!

Blue, was a man of few words. He stared at her for a moment and just turned and walked away. He didn't explain, defend, or deny. He said nothing and just went away.

Later that evening, Blue quietly parked his old ute in front of Mildred's house ...

Got out and simply walked home...and left his old ute there all night.

You would remember that on 2 April last year, my rebus was a pangram, “The quick brown fox jumped over a lazy dog”. I have found a pangram that uses fewer letters.

#6 #2 #5 #6, #5 #2 #3

Picture 3.  Remember Cilla.
Picture 4.  The second most abundant mineral in Earth's continental crust. It is used in watches.
Picture 6.  Remove the middle letter from the month people would be doing this.
Picture 7.  Replace the first letter with one you haven't used yet.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 12:59:16 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack