Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814624 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9525 on: May 02, 2023, 01:15:13 AM »
May i suggest getting all electric appliances? Induction cooktops are great and so easy to clean and avoid the toxic combustion by-products of fossil gas (which i understand is pretty pricey over there at present)

We were leaning towards an induction cooktop when looking to replace the old appliance a couple of years ago — until we learnt that induction cooktop can be a problem for those with a pacemaker (my wife).

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: May 02, 2023, 04:12:27 AM »
That makes sense TRex as I think the bottom of the saucepans are magnetic.  It's a shame as they are very efficient and heat up quickly.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: May 02, 2023, 04:02:11 PM »
I'll see your cracking rebus and offer something similar.  Not a patch on yours!

Hi Pen,

I disagree.  But what is beyond debate is that it is the one I had started to prepare for today and was better pictured than I had planned.  The only difference was that I was going to present it on one line by using “by” instead of “on”.  So, well done psychic you!

Well back to the drawing board.  Does that sounds familiar? 

In the meantime, I will show you several pictures of Bonnie and Ruby and bring the spoiler alerts up to date.

When Bonnie met Ruby 1

When Bonnie met Ruby 2

Just Ruby

Bonnie at the same age
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: May 02, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »
Hold the front page Linda! Shock horror :o  I have to have my beans warmed up :laugh:

I know, I'm strange!  Not a great lover of baked beans anyway but a spoonful of cold (and I mean refrigerated) beans is quite good with corned beef type things.  You'll probably just take my word for that!

Washing was all dry by late afternoon as the sun came out and it was quite hot for an hour or two.  I am hobbling much better now and think limp is disappearing slowly but still get a bit of pain in leg.  Was meant to go to see surgeon in February but they cancelled due to 'rearrangement of wards' or some such thing and I have heard nothing from them yet.  C'est la vie!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: May 02, 2023, 10:24:33 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Pen 1/5

Jack 1/5

Pen 30/4

Pen 29/4

Jack 28/4

Pen 27/4

Date reflects the author's time zone.

If any forumite has an idea for a clever or funny or educational rebus but does not feel they have the technical ability to present it, please send me a private message and I will do my best to develop it for you. 
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: May 02, 2023, 11:25:05 PM »

I know, I'm strange!  Not a great lover of baked beans anyway but a spoonful of cold (and I mean refrigerated) beans is quite good with corned beef type things.  You'll probably just take my word for that!

Washing was all dry by late afternoon as the sun came out and it was quite hot for an hour or two.  I am hobbling much better now and think limp is disappearing slowly but still get a bit of pain in leg.  Was meant to go to see surgeon in February but they cancelled due to 'rearrangement of wards' or some such thing and I have heard nothing from them yet.  C'est la vie!  >:D

Not strange Linda - unique is a better choice of word :)  My Mum often used to serve cold beans with a salad when I was very young.  Probably why I'm not so fond of them now :laugh:

Very pleased to hear that your hobbling's improving and your limp's getting better :)  Feels like it's been a long old slog but then you made a good job of it!

I'm having an awful day :cry: Very busy and lots of problems.  Can't wait for going home time!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: May 02, 2023, 11:58:37 PM »

I disagree.  But what is beyond debate is that it is the one I had started to prepare for today and was better pictured than I had planned.  The only difference was that I was going to present it on one line by using “by” instead of “on”.  So, well done psychic you!

Well back to the drawing board.  Does that sounds familiar? 

Hi Jack

Just a flying visit from me.  You'll see from my reply to Linda that I'm having a bit of a day of it :(

That's a bit spooky  :laugh: Is it great minds think alike? or fools seldom differ?   >:D  :laugh:  I've always assumed it was "on" but if you consult Ms Google she says it can be either!

Your gorgeous pictures made me smile and cheered up an otherwise horrible day  :)  :-* Thank you.
Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: May 04, 2023, 12:38:54 AM »
Hi Jack

A much better day today :)

I'm going to make a start on a rebus and hope to get it finished by going home time.  It's a film from the year Zoe was born.

2 ( #3 + #3 + #4) 7 (#3 + #4) #5 #4

Past tense for picture one and pictures one and two are homophones.  Please lose the last two letters of picture four and picture seven is a homophone.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

Nearly home time hurrah  :-C

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: May 04, 2023, 09:47:20 AM »
  • m
I've always assumed it was "on" but if you consult Ms Google, she says it can be either!

Hi Pen,

It is quite common for idioms and other common expressions to have variations. 

The tongue-twister that I have been struggling with picturing for the last couple of days is a case in point.  Is
 What noise annoys an oyster most?  A noisy noise an oyster most.
 the better variation or should I use
Any noise annoys an oyster but a noisy noise annoys an oyster more

By the time, I had worked out how to picture either, I decided it was too complicated to make a good rebus and I gave it the flick and so you will have to put up with a rather weak joke.  Not a match for your excellent rebus.

3 11(#4  #3  #3  1)  10(#2 #5  #3)  #5  #3  6(#3  #3)

Conceptually one line.

The d

Picture 1.  Plural abbreviation.
Picture 2. Two words. You need the second.
Picture 3.  Past tense. Make homophone. Copied from Pen’s last rebus.
Picture 4.  The alternating abbreviation.
Picture 5.  Two words.  You need the first.
Picture 7.  Make Anagram.
Picture 8.  (4 letters) Make Homophone
Picture 9.  First name of the taller one.
Picture 10.  The object not the action. Make Homophone of the last word.

I came across this photo of our first Border Collie, Bessie (1985-1998).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:38:58 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: May 05, 2023, 04:30:41 AM »

By the time, I had worked out how to picture either, I decided it was too complicated to make a good rebus and I gave it the flick and so you will have to put up with a rather weak joke.  Not a match for your excellent rebus.

I came across this photo of our first Border Collie, Bessie (1985-1998).

Hi Jack

I've had a busy day so a flying visit from me this evening.  I did some chores and shopping this morning.  It was Barbs' birthday yesterday so I took her to the Grumpy Cook for lunch and we enjoyed a walk in the lovely warm sunshine :) By the time we'd been shopping and I took her home and had a cuppa with her and her husband John the day had run away with me!

I think that was a great rebus although the joke was a little bit naff :laugh:

What a lovely picture of Bessie  :)  We can never have too many of your wonderful dog pictures.

I'm going to search for a few words and flake out in front of the box!  I'm hoping for a quieter day tomorrow so I should be able to do a proper post.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: May 05, 2023, 11:13:01 PM »
Hi Jack

The Met Office were forecasting thunder storms from late morning so I had a quick march round Furzton Lake earlier on.  I think they're wrong - just for a change :-R - as it's still fine and bright for the moment.

For your delectation today I'm giving you a programme that my Mum enjoyed back in the 1960's.

6 (#3 + #3) 7 (#3 + #4) 8 (#4 + #4)

Not much to add as it's quite straightforward.  Please insert an apostrophe into the second word and you need the second word of picture five and please pretend it's all on one line.

My neighbour just popped round and gave me an abacus shaped like a castle...
Oh well it's the fort that counts!

I spoke to soon!  It's started pouring with rain!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: May 06, 2023, 02:41:39 AM »
Hi Pen,

Just a quick post between sleeps.

Great Rebus and puns.

We enjoyed the series and its 1990s remake so much that at one stage we had CDs of all the episodes of both.  We gave all our CDs away to an op shop before we came to Brisbane. I thought the original was superior to the remake.

:-Z :-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: May 06, 2023, 10:00:36 AM »
Hi again, Pen

I was looking over the people and groups who will have a role in the Coronation and one group took my eye.  I wonder how they are chosen and what their role is.

6(#3 #3) #2 #3 #6 #5

Conceptually one line.

Picture 2.  One word (7).  You only need the middle 3.
Picture 3.  Two words (6, 7).  You need the first two letters of the second word.
Picture 4.  Arguably One or two words (7,5) generally just the first word is used.  You need the first three letters.
Picture 5.  One word (4).  Make homophone.

Click for two cuties.  The third cutie only partially shown  :D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9538 on: May 07, 2023, 12:45:45 AM »

Click for two cuties.  The third cutie only partially shown  :D

Hi Jack

What a shame that whoever took the picture chopped your head off  :laugh:  Two and a half gorgeous cuties  :-*

It's been pouring with rain here all day :(  I did have a quick walk but was a bit sodden when I got back!  Not much fun for those who travelled to London I imagine.

I watched some of the Coronation with Jan next door, Lucki and a cuppa.  Lucki didn't seem very impressed but he perked up when the biscuit tin came out :laugh:

That was a cracker of a rebus.  Just hard enough to be tricky but not impossible.  I'm cheating a bit and piggybacking on your idea.  Somebody who took part in the Coronation.

3 #4 #4 #9 #2 7 (#3 + #4)

THE
Please lose the last letter of picture one and you're looking for the artist in picture three.  Please ignore Top Cat in picture four - you need the first two letters of the rather cross looking gent.  Finally you need to lose the first letter of picture five and then make a homophone of what's left and please pretend it's all on one line.

What do you call a snobbish criminal going downstairs?
A condescending con descending!

I'm off to poke the kettle!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 12:48:56 AM by Hobbit »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: May 07, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »
Great rebuses...again!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia