Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821698 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9510 on: April 30, 2023, 04:27:31 AM »

I am a tolerant person who respects a wide range of views, so we can still be friends. :D

Hi Jack

Just saw your post and was wondering why on earth you aren't in bed sawing wood  :laugh:  :-Z
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: April 30, 2023, 04:49:49 AM »
Just saw your post and was wondering why on earth you aren't in bed sawing wood  :laugh:  :-Z

Here is why.

My rebus is an episode of a series beloved of Linda an d I.  Chances are I've almost certainly used it before but hopefully this will be a bit different.

Hi Pen,

Normally I wouldn’t even attempt a rebus that didn’t have a word count but, as in a fit of laziness a fortnight ago I had re-pictured your rebus of 30 August 2021 in one of my Déjà vu posts, I twigged it immediately. 

So I can tell you the word count is      #3 #6 #4 #5 ?

I have thought of a rebus which would take a bit of time to put to together.  I have to make the choice of doing that now or trying for another hour’s sleep.

While I am considering that, I’ll leave you  with some notes I had prepared yesterday for a post.

You would probably surprised that I enjoyed a chic-flic on TV. It was called Sense and Sensitivity.  I understand the story was originally in a novel by an English woman.  You may have heard of her. :D

Vale Barry Humphries.
Barry Humphries was bid a final farewell at a private funeral on ¬Friday, held by his longtime friend and artist Tim Storrier at his Bowral estate in the NSW Southern Highlands. Amid clear blue skies, Humphries was laid to rest by his family and close friends in a ceremony led by a minister at the Storrier’s historic Hopewood House.

The only people at the funeral were family and close friends.

Hopewood, in Bowral,  built in the nineteenth century, at one stage was a unique children's home operated by the Youth Welfare Association of Australia (YWAA), which was founded by Leslie Owen Bailey. Bailey gathered 86 babies from unmarried mothers from 1942 until 1951 and raised them at Hopewood

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:51:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: April 30, 2023, 06:55:31 PM »
I am a tolerant person who respects a wide range of views, so we can still be friends. :D

Phew!  Was worried there for a moment, Jack.  I'm sure your dogs are beautiful and beautifully trained.  I just prefer felines; although I do have a soft spot for Border Collies and Samoyeds.  I have shared a house with a Jack Russell and it was vicious.  As a child/teenager we had a Cocker Spaniel and that was okay, at least it was a lot better than the budgie we were given (as a present!!)  You can imagine how much I loved that!

Have you tried the new McCains Gastro Triple Cooked Chips? 

Not yet, Pen.  Sound good to me.  I'll start saving! Got a builder coming up soon to discuss our kitchen extension and I have a feeling that there will be little money left for chips once he has given us his 'rough' quote which is almost certain to be several thousands less than the final figure!  :( >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: April 30, 2023, 10:08:16 PM »
Hi Pen,

Some random thoughts for you to consider
  • I'm supposed to respect my elders, but now it's getting harder and harder for me to find one.
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  • Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
  • A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
  • Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
  • Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I am still working on that rebus.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: April 30, 2023, 10:15:00 PM »
Got a builder coming up soon to discuss our kitchen extension and I have a feeling that there will be little money left for chips once he has given us his 'rough' quote which is almost certain to be several thousands less than the final figure!  :( >:D

Oh Linda you're very brave  :laugh:  It'll be worth it when it's done!  Can you not try and tie the builder down to a firm quote? Is he known to you or was he recommended?  Please make sure he hasn't got a horse tied up outside!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: April 30, 2023, 11:02:40 PM »
He lives locally and has already done our roof so we know he is a good worker and trustworthy.  Hubby will do a fair bit of the groundwork himself which will save a bit of dosh.  Will be living in chaos for quite a while I think and then the next expensive part will come when we have to kit out the whole kitchen with new units, appliances etc.  Still, it will look nice when it's all finished, hopefully!

Making cottage pie for tea tonight, if I can find where I put the mince!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: April 30, 2023, 11:40:46 PM »

Normally I wouldn’t even attempt a rebus that didn’t have a word count but, as in a fit of laziness a fortnight ago I had re-pictured your rebus of 30 August 2021 in one of my Déjà vu posts, I twigged it immediately. 

You would probably surprised that I enjoyed a chic-flic on TV.

Vale Barry Humphries.

Hopewood, in Bowral,

Hi Jack

I think my memory is definitely beginning to fail me :cry:  I started the rebus with the intention of putting the word count after I'd sorted the pictures and forgot to go back.  Note to self - do word count first!

I'm astonished that you watched a chic-flic :o  Not sure I've heard of the author  >:D

I was so very sad to hear about Barry Humphries.  I watched Another Audience With Dame Edna Everage the other evening.  It must have been about 40 odd years old but still as sharp and funny as ever.  I didn't realise he lived in your old stomping ground.

I'm a bit trepidated at attempting another rebus but here goes!  It's an expression I heard on the telly the other evening.

7 (#5 + #2) #6 10 (#4 + #6)

Please change the third letter of picture one and the first letter of picture four and lose the last letter.  You need the slang term for picture five and change the first letter and it's singular.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

A few pearls of wisdom from Billy Connolly

“I once travelled to Adelaide on Emu Airways. I was 5,000 ft up in the air when someone pointed out to me that emus can’t fly”
“Why do people say ‘Oh you want to have your cake and eat it too?’ Dead right! What good is a cake if you can’t eat it?”
“Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn’t try it on.”
“Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he think he was doing at the time?”

I forgot to say your random thoughts tickled me :laugh:

Time for a cuppa!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:29:43 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: April 30, 2023, 11:54:49 PM »

He lives locally and has already done our roof so we know he is a good worker and trustworthy.  Hubby will do a fair bit of the groundwork himself which will save a bit of dosh.  Will be living in chaos for quite a while I think and then the next expensive part will come when we have to kit out the whole kitchen with new units, appliances etc.  Still, it will look nice when it's all finished, hopefully!

Hope you've managed to locate the mince Linda :laugh:  I love cottage pie - delish  :-H  Chicken and leek pie for me.

Sounds like your builder's a good 'un :)  It'll be a bit of an upheaval but it'll be worth it when it's finished :)  It'll be great fun clearing out the cupboards and finding stuff at the back that's been there for yonks  >:D or perhaps that just me!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: May 01, 2023, 06:25:59 AM »
I didn't realise he lived in your old stomping ground.

Hi Pen,

I don't think he did live there but the friend who arranged the funeral apparently did.

Very clever but tough rebus.  I had not heard the expression before, but I would expect it would be meaningful in a traditional UK context.

I have finally got my rebus together.  It is rather straightforward and so I have not given supplementary clues.  If you had a wide enough screen, it would be on one line.  To get the full effect of it you need to read aloud the answer quickly and repeatedly.

#5 #5 #6 1 #4 #2 #7 #7

a

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:29:22 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9519 on: May 01, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »

Hey Linda,
May i suggest getting all electric appliances? Induction cooktops are great and so easy to clean and avoid the toxic combustion by-products of fossil gas (which i understand is pretty pricey over there at present)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: May 01, 2023, 06:49:06 PM »
May i suggest getting all electric appliances?

Wouldn't have it any other way, RTT!  I have my eye on a composite quartz sink too but dithering over colour scheme for units, still we are a loooonnng way off worrying about that yet.  Dirt, dust and much upheaval comes first!  >:D

Hope you've managed to locate the mince Linda

Found it eventually!  Final result was very tasty but I'm a bit jealous of your chicken and leek pie and might have to invest in one this week.  Dull and grey here today but no wind and no chance of getting washing out to dry.   >:(  >:D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:56:14 PM by Linda »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: May 01, 2023, 08:56:58 PM »
It's breezy and trying to rain here Linda so no point pegging the washing out.  You can guarantee the minute I did so the heavens would open :-R
I've had an induction hob for years it's brilliant.  When I first got it I was slightly baffled that none of my old saucepans would work on it :laugh:
I've got a corned beef and tomato sarnie for lunch but not sure about tea yet.  It's a toss up between bangers or spag bog  :-H  I do love a chicken and leek pie.  Sometimes I make my own but do it like a cottage pie.  Mashed spud and no pastry.  Sounds a bit odd but it works really well :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: May 01, 2023, 11:04:16 PM »
Sounds scrummy, Pen.  I had poached eggs on toast for lunch - bit boring, unlike your sarnie!  Either bangers or spag bol would do me for tea but unfortunately I'm having neither.  Now that I've thought about corned beef, I remember I have some corned beef bake things in the freezer which will be nice with some spuds and veg - or even baked beans, just as long as they're cold!!

Weather improved a little so washing is out but keeping an eye on it as it looks as though it could rain any minute.   :(

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: May 01, 2023, 11:26:40 PM »

I have finally got my rebus together.  It is rather straightforward and so I have not given supplementary clues.  If you had a wide enough screen, it would be on one line.  To get the full effect of it you need to read aloud the answer quickly and repeatedly.

Hi Jack

That was a corker :)  I got it at the second time of asking when I logged on to my laptop.  Phone screen is far too small - couldn't make head nor tail of it  :laugh:

I'll see your cracking rebus and offer something similar.  Not a patch on yours!

#3 #5 9 (#3 + #6) 2 3 8 (#3 + #5)

THE
Please lose the last letters of pictures one, three and five.  Picture two is a homophone.  Can you remember the name of the actor in picture six who played Doyle?  Homophone of his surname.  Position is vitally important.

- Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.
- If all is not lost, where is it?
- It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
- If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.
- The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging.
- I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.
- Lead me not into temptation (I can find the way myself).

Found this by accident.  Know am silly soft sod but it brought a tear to my eye.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:28:59 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: May 01, 2023, 11:33:17 PM »
Now that I've thought about corned beef, I remember I have some corned beef bake things in the freezer which will be nice with some spuds and veg - or even baked beans, just as long as they're cold!!

Weather improved a little so washing is out but keeping an eye on it as it looks as though it could rain any minute.   :(

Hold the front page Linda! Shock horror :o  I have to have my beans warmed up :laugh:  You can never have too much corned beef - enjoy :)

I hope you're mobile enough to dash to the washing line and get it in before it rains :laugh:  or better still just send your hubby to get it >:D