Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821349 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9495 on: April 26, 2023, 04:22:56 AM »

Every now and again I can solve a rebus without the aid of google- less than 10% of the time. However, my guiding philosophy is whatever works. 

An apt rebus and well presented but I am boasting because it was one of my less than 10% and took less than a minute.

One of my grandsons has been picked to represent his school in the ANZAC Day celebrations and his parents naturally want to be spectators.  That is a way of introducing that I am also going to present an apt rebus.

Hi Jack

I heartily agree with you :)

That was a great rebus!  I read all about it and found it very interesting.  It's right and proper and very pleasing that it's been restored.  I bet his parents and June and yourself were very proud of your grandson.  Brilliant  :)

I've had a long old day so that's all from me for now!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: April 27, 2023, 12:59:36 AM »
Hi Jack

Am going to make a start on a rebus but it's anybody's guess whether I'll finish it or not.  The bus keeps pulling up outside my waiting room and the hordes descend  :laugh:

It's a film from the 1970's.  I suspect this will be another very speedy solution  :)

#3 #4 4 #3 7 #4

S
You need the horse nearest you in picture one and past tense.  Please use the beginning of the catchphrase in picture four.  Three homophones and position is vital. Apologies for earlier mistake!

Nearly home time hurrah   :-C
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 02:15:14 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: April 27, 2023, 02:41:01 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Pen 26/4

Jack 25/4

Pen 24/4

Jack 24/4

Pen 23/4

Date reflects the author's time zone.

If any forumite has an idea for a clever or funny or educational rebus but does not feel they have the technical ability to present it, please send me a private message and I will do my best to develop it for you. 
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: April 27, 2023, 06:52:18 PM »
Hi Jack
I don't  (make that can't!!) do the rebus you and Penny set but often look up related things if the chats about them catch my eye. One such was the First War chalk Kiwi. In January we spent an enjoyable month in NZ and whilst touring we became very aware how much ANZAC Day means to them and of course I already knew how you feel. It would be nice if
people here in the UK were a little more interested in respecting
our forebears. I am now keen to see the KIwi and the other military chalk figures in that area which include Australian subjects too according to Google.
Christine.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: April 28, 2023, 12:11:58 AM »
Hi Jack

I've had a busy morning.  Managed a bit of housework and been shopping.  Just enjoying a cuppa and doing a quick post before I set about a few more chores.  Out to dinner with some of my friends tonight :)

I'll try and do better with my rebus today after all the cock-ups yesterday ;D  It's something Greek and very old.

8 (#3 + #4 + #1) #3

S

Please reverse picture one.  Can you remember the first name of the actress in picture two?  Please change the first letter of picture three and it is most definitely all on one line!

I was driving down the road this morning when I suddenly disappeared into a large portion of sour cream and chive...
I didn't see that dip in the road!

Leave you with a very naff joke  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 12:14:06 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: April 28, 2023, 04:22:43 PM »
I often look up related things if the chats about {the rebuses} catch my eye.

Hi Christine,

It's good to hear from you. 

I think you have hit the nail on the head about the rebuses.  I think a lot of people just enjoy solving a puzzle in the same way they do a crossword puzzle, and that's great.  I think there are also a lot of people, like you, who enjoy coming across a subject that is new to them, or that they knew once and have forgotten about, and learning more about it.  They are the subjects I most get a kick out of finding and presenting, because it gives me the incentive to research them.

We are always on the lookout for those subjects but the problem as puzzle setters is that if you don't know something, you can only stumble on it by accident.

A case in point is the chalk monuments.  I only knew about the Uffington Horse because we saw it in a guidebook when we were looking for something to do near Heathrow while we were waiting for a plane to take us home in 2010.  For all I knew then it was unique.  While I was reading an article on ANZAC last week, I came across mention of the Bulford Kiwi.  I now know there are dozens of chalk monuments scattered around the UK although Wiltshire seems to have the lion’s (or should that be horse’s  ;)) share of them.

That is why I put out the call for interesting subjects that we might not be aware of.
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: April 28, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »
Being originally from Yorkshire, the "local" White Horse is at Kilburn in the Dales. This features on some of the credits for The Yorkshire Vet programmes which has one of Alf White's (AKA James Herriot)  former trainees as one of the vets.I doubt you can see these programmes in Aus. A walk around the horse is lovely especially if you can see gliders taking off from the nearby aerodrome.You are correct that most of them are "down south!"

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: April 28, 2023, 06:49:41 PM »
Hi Christine.
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, there are a few seasons of The Yorkshire Vet available to us....I've added it to my list of "have a look" programs.
Thanks, Moyra.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: April 28, 2023, 10:01:04 PM »
Out to dinner with some of my friends tonight :)
It's something Greek and very old.

Hi Pen,

I came across Bonnie looking into her Crystal Ball and she said to tell you she approves of the place you were dining at because it is particularly dog friendly. I hope it was a great meal and an enjoyable evening

A few years ago, I would have said the answer to your excellent rebus was Prince Philip.  But I do have a different answer. Because I am not as curious as some, I will not open it here.

Keeping with the Topic of chalk, my rebus is the location of  the only chalk cliffs of northern Britain.  This Jurassic, natural sea wall contrasting greatly with the geology more norm to the area to the north and south. The white chalk cliffs create a rustic charm that is the home and breeding ground for an abundance of wildlife. It is reported to be one of the most important colonies of sea birds in Europe.

11( #4  #7)  #4

Picture 1.  Remove last letter
Picture 2.  5 Letters.  Make Homophone.

I'm off like a bucket of prawns in the hot sun.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: April 29, 2023, 12:10:21 AM »
I came across Bonnie looking into her Crystal Ball and she said to tell you she approves of the place you were dining at because it is particularly dog friendly. I hope it was a great meal and an enjoyable evening

A few years ago, I would have said the answer to your excellent rebus was Prince Philip.  But I do have a different answer. Because I am not as curious as some, I will not open it here.

Keeping with the Topic of chalk, my rebus is the location of  the only chalk cliffs of northern Britain.  This Jurassic, natural sea wall contrasting greatly with the geology more norm to the area to the north and south. The white chalk cliffs create a rustic charm that is the home and breeding ground for an abundance of wildlife. It is reported to be one of the most important colonies of sea birds in Europe.

Hi Jack

We had a smashing evening and a good time was had by all :)  The food was nice but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was great but it didn't matter because the company was what was important!  Tell Bonnie that, sadly, there were no dogs.  Perhaps they were all at home in bed!

Your response to my rebus really tickled me :laugh:

Many moons ago my sister lived in Cottingham which is a bit north of Hull.  We paid a visit to the subject of your rebus and I can still vividly remember it.  It was amazing and we saw loads of birds - especially puffins.

That's all from me today.  I'll be back with a rebus tomorrow.

I'm off like a week-old pair of socks (men's of course >:D)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: April 29, 2023, 03:31:48 AM »
Hi Auntie Mo
be aware that they show operations etc as well as beautiful scenery and seriously cute animals. Some of the humans are pretty quirky (look out for Mr and Mrs Green!)
Hope you enjoy them if you can get them on your TV
Christine

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: April 29, 2023, 11:52:06 PM »
Hi Jack

It's a beautiful warm sunny day here  :o  Has Spring finally sprung?  :laugh:  I've been up to Barbs' and we had a lovely walk and a cold drink sitting in her beautiful garden.

My rebus is an episode of a series beloved of Linda an d I.  Chances are I've almost certainly used it before but hopefully this will be a bit different.

What's on top of the whale's head?  You need three consecutive letters from the middle of the eight letter word.  Please change the first letter of picture two and lose a letter from picture three.  You're interested in Rodney and not Del and please pretend it's all on one line.

I told a joke at a zoom meeting at work the other day.  Nobody laughed.
It turns out I'm not remotely funny.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: April 30, 2023, 12:37:18 AM »
My rebus is an episode of a series beloved of Linda an d I.

I know, Miss!!   >:D

Been a while since I reported on my dinner, Pen.  Tonight I'm having chicken (again, got to keep the bird population down!!) in white sauce, chunky chips and peas!  'tis a pleasant day here so just been for a short waddle.  Met a neighbour I barely know who kept me talking for ages while her bloody dog kept pawing at my leg!  You wouldn't find a cat doing such things!  As you may have guessed, I'm a mad cat woman and not over keen on most canines.   >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: April 30, 2023, 04:15:31 AM »
I'm a mad cat woman and not over keen on most canines.   >:D

Hi Linda,

I am a tolerant person who respects a wide range of views, so we can still be friends. :D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: April 30, 2023, 04:22:55 AM »
Great to hear from you Linda.  I hoped you'd respond to my rebus :)

Your dinner sounds very yummy :-H  Have you tried the new McCains Gastro Triple Cooked Chips?  You have to re-mortgage the house to buy them but they are very delish!  I had Sainsbury's biryani for my tea.  It was nice but didn't set my world on fire.  I'm pleased to hear you're single handedly keeping the bird population down  >:D

I love most dogs - apart from the big fierce ones.  I do hate it though when you're out walking and owners have dogs just running about and don't keep them under control.  I've had many muddy paw prints on my jeans when a dog has jumped up at me.  All you get is "he/she wont hurt you!" No and they wont wash my trousers either grrr >:(  My friend Barbs is terrified of dogs and if one runs up to her she hides behind me!!  A cat would turn it's nose up and walk the other way or just stare at you  :laugh:

One of my younger work colleagues has recently bought a little flat and invited me round.  Her Nan's been in hospital for a few weeks and she's been caring for her Bengal cat.  She's gorgeous and I think Kirsty's going to miss her when she goes home tomorrow.

Hope all is good with you and please don't leave it so long next time!
Penx
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:24:28 AM by Hobbit »