Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814520 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9480 on: April 23, 2023, 04:19:47 AM »

You learn something new all the time in this thread.

I spent a couple of hours spreading fertilizer today and my back has packed it in, so a short post tonight.

Blue’s bitch was "in heat' but he agreed to look after his neighbour`s male dog while the neighbours were on holidays.

They have taught Ruby to stay and come but not yet to apply the brakes

Bonnie and Dusty at about the same age

Hi Jack

I've had a lovely, very enjoyable day with Zoe :)

How right you are - and not just about words but all sorts of other stuff as well  :)

I'm so sorry you've buggered your back :(  Have June rub in a bit of Deep Heat.  Might not help but smells lovely :laugh: (seriously I love the smell!)  Do hope it's soon better - there's nowt worse than a bad back.

I'm in total agreement with Madeleine and Paula! Ruby is adorable and so cute and it's great to see older pictures of Bonnie & Dusty :)

& Blue just made me roar with laughter  :laugh:   Definitely one of his best yet!

Going to look for a few words and then have a good dither over which film to watch!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: April 23, 2023, 02:29:37 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Pen 21/4

Jack 21/4

Pen 20/4

Jack 20/4

Jack 18/4

Pen 17/4

Date reflects the author's time zone.

If any forumite has an idea for a clever or funny or educational rebus but does not feel they have the technical ability to present it, please send me a private message and I will do my best to develop it for you. 
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: April 23, 2023, 05:45:05 PM »
I'm in total agreement with Madeleine and Paula! Ruby is adorable and so cute

Hi Pen,

A few Panadol Osteos and this morning the back was, if not good as new, as good as it usually is.

Until she gets her 16 week immunisation jabs, Ruby is not allowed to go wandering outside of home unless she is in her pram or is carried.   I was sent a picture of both this morning.
Ruby 1
Ruby 2

Even old dogs (Nearly 3YO) attract admiration, as evidenced by Michelle’s report in Facebook this morning.

Bonnie and I attracted the attention of 2 young girls at the park this morning with our antics. I was doing some basic stay and come training with her and then running around and playing like hooligans and the young family was on the playground. Next thing the 2 girls have left the equipment and watching us playing around. I have a feeling their parents are in for a lot of pleading for a puppy 

I have to take “Snowy” Subaru over to be serviced at 7:30 tomorrow morning.  I will wait in their waiting area until he is ready so I should have plenty of time to work on a rebus then.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: April 23, 2023, 07:04:05 PM »
After a few days away, with very limited internet, I have now rebus binged! Thanks Ozzyjack and Penny...you two are on a roll and I've really enjoyed the different/challenging puzzles. And, of course, the jokes and puppy pictures!
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: April 23, 2023, 08:55:10 PM »
Ruby really is a teddy bear of a pup! So adorable!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: April 23, 2023, 11:29:48 PM »

A few Panadol Osteos and this morning the back was, if not good as new, as good as it usually is.

I was sent a picture of both this morning.

Even old dogs (Nearly 3YO) attract admiration, as evidenced by Michelle’s report in Facebook this morning.

Hi Jack

I'm enjoying a nice lazy Sunday.  When I looked yesterday the Met Office said we were going to have torrential rain most of today.  It's actually a nice Spring day and I had a lovely walk earlier.  Thought I'd better get a wiggle on just in case the rain came this afternoon.
I just heard Jan next door taking Lucki to task.  They recently planted an acer in the back garden and he decided to dig up the dirt round it.  He really is a proper tinker :laugh:

So pleased your back's much better today :)  You decided against my recommendation of Deep Heat?  >:D 

Madeleine's right - Ruby is like an adorable teddy bear :)  I can't believe Bonnie's 3 already!!

I'm going to make an attempt at a work of art for my rebus today.  It's a 19th century painting which hangs in the National Gallery.

3 8 (#5 + #3) 9 (#5 + #4)

THE
Please lose the second letter of the first picture and use three consecutive letters from picture two.  Please lose the fourth letter of picture three and the last one is a homophone.  Oh and please pretend it's all on one line.

Stanley decided to lookup his friend Alf, who was a tight-fisted
Yorkshireman.  He found Alf at his bungalow in Huddersfield
stripping the wallpaper from the dining room.  Rather obviously, he
remarked, "You're decorating, I see."  To which Alf replied, "Nay
Stanley lad, I'm moving 'ouse to Bradford."

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: April 23, 2023, 11:35:20 PM »
After a few days away, with very limited internet, I have now rebus binged! Thanks Ozzyjack and Penny...you two are on a roll and I've really enjoyed the different/challenging puzzles. And, of course, the jokes and puppy pictures!

Thanks Moyra.  Very chuffed to hear you enjoy them  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: April 24, 2023, 04:00:21 AM »
Hi Again Jack

Here's a picture of Lucki lurking in the daffs looking like butter wouldn't melt  :laugh:

Hope it's ok.  Last time I posted a picture you had to re-size it for me!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: April 24, 2023, 04:00:59 PM »
It's a 19th century painting which hangs in the National Gallery.

Hi Pen,

It's not only a great picture but you made a great rebus about it.  Very Clever.  I would award it the rebus of the month so far.  We only have a few days to top it.

It took me over an hour to solve it.  If it hadn't been for the word count making me dismiss the Red Herrings I wouldn't have got it in a month of Sundays. Am I just dumb or are other people also struggling?.

My response is a painting by another Artist.  It was done nearly a decade before yours and hangs in the Tate.

9(#5  #4) 9(#3  #3  #3)  #4  3  #7

One Line.  "The" not pictured. 

Picture 1.  Remove the third letter.
Picture 2.  Pick any one. 5 letters.  Make homophone.
Picture 4.  Hop to the top then remove the third letter.
Picture 5.  remove the third letter How's that for consistecy?
Picture 6.  Cheese Mate, Hows your French? 7 letters.  Only keep the first 4.
Picture 7.  It is debatable whether this picture is a single word of 6 letters or a plural word of 7.  You need 7 so you don't get a choice.  ;)

My Daughter sent me this. I hope it wasn’t a subtle hint.

The Queensland Department  of Main Roads are less subtle.  If you are over 75 and can't pass an annual eyesight test, you lose your driving licence.

Our Son and Daughter both believe we are as deaf as posts and keep urging us to take hearing tests. 

You are really lucky to have a neighbour like lucki.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: April 24, 2023, 06:38:10 PM »
I really struggled with Penny's rebus too...until I worked out the correct Google query! Kinda cheating, but I'll admit to that >:D

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: April 24, 2023, 06:56:09 PM »
I do not know the names of many paintings....so I can justify (in my own mind) using a "phone a friend" Google search to check if I was even close to the right answer. I was....yay! Thanks AGAIN to our resident rebus writers.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: April 24, 2023, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi Moyra

Every now and again I can solve a rebus  without the aid of google- less than 10% of the time. However, my guiding philosophy.is whatever works.  Even then, as you know, I sometimes have to call for help.

Thanks for the feedback.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 01:22:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: April 24, 2023, 10:39:52 PM »

It's not only a great picture but you made a great rebus about it.  Very Clever.  I would award it the rebus of the month so far.  We only have a few days to top it.

It took me over an hour to solve it.  If it hadn't been for the word count making me dismiss the Red Herrings I wouldn't have got it in a month of Sundays.

My Daughter sent me this. I hope it wasn’t a subtle hint[/url].

Hi Jack

Red Herring?  Moi??  ;D

A flying visit as I'm having a very busy day and I'm not sure I'll get time to do a proper post!  I loved your daughter's cartoon - couldn't stop laughing  :laugh:

It's taken me all morning to sort your rebus so I think you should definitely have the rebus of the month award.  A clever and pleasingly tricky rebus :)  Though I would take issue with your wretched cheese  :laugh: More of a red kipper than a red herring  >:D  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: April 25, 2023, 04:30:20 AM »
Hi Again Jack

A quick rebus before I flop in front of the box  :-Y

I've been sent to the naughty step again tomorrow  :laugh: (back to Obs & Gynae!)

I'll be

#4 1 #4 #3 2 #5

AOF
Please change the first letter of the first picture and you need the first word of picture four.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

That's all from me.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: April 25, 2023, 12:42:38 PM »
Every now and again I can solve a rebus without the aid of google- less than 10% of the time. However, my guiding philosophy is whatever works. 

Hi Pen,

An apt rebus and well presented but I am boasting because it was one of my less than 10% and took less than a minute.

I am home alone with Bonnie.  June has gone over to dog sit Ruby.  One of my grandsons has been picked to represent his school in the ANZAC Day celebrations and his parents naturally want to be spectators.  That is a way of introducing that I am also going to present an apt rebus.

But I am going to dodge the battles and other atrocities of war and present a monument in Britain created by our ANZAC partners.  After World War I, New Zealand soldiers were stationed in a camp waiting to return home.  They decided to mark their presence and achievements in battles by building a monument.  It fell into disrepair over the years but has recently undergone a major restoration. The monument remains a major landmark today and is looked after by custodians, a Gurkha Signal Squadron who organised restoration works.

7(#3  #4)  4(#2 #2)

Picture 1.  8 letters.  I am full of it but you only need the first letters.
Picture 2.  Not the crossing designed for pedestrians.
Picture 3.  The first half of this Scottish Building.
Picture 4.  Even I might like this.  You only need the first half.

And I'll leave you with several cartoons.

Regards, Jack