Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814205 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9330 on: March 11, 2023, 08:26:52 AM »
I wouldn't dare say it's easy peasy >:D but it is!! 

Hi Pen and John,

Pen, you are a Wonder.

Quite often easy peasy is a result of having the same knowledge base as the rebus setter and a bit of luck at picking up cryptic associations.

As it happened I couldn't solve either of your excellent rebuses based on my knowledge base because pop music is the greatest of my many areas of ignorance.

However, when I supplemented my knowledge base with Googles, both rebuses were solveable in a few minutes.

Breakfast awaits.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:47:51 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: March 11, 2023, 08:54:46 AM »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9332 on: March 11, 2023, 01:29:14 PM »
OK so this one is a bit tricky so I hope you can follow along… It’s a proverb.

7(#11 - #5) #1 #8 #3 #1 #6 #2
Homophones (you can probably take that as a given with me 😉); image 1 – insert a personal pronoun after the second letter then subtract image 2; image 3 – lose the Northern Territory; image 4 – change the second letter; image 5 – just the middle letters; image 6 - lose the Northern Territory; image 7 – lose the first letter; all on one line…

...and I'll finish off with a couple of naff jokes:

Q. What’s the collective noun for bankers?
A. A wunch  >:D >:D >:D

What are the three prime pieces of knowledge a plumber needs to know?
1.   Shit flows downhill
2.   Payday is Thursday
3.   Never lick your fingers   :-P :-P :-P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #9333 on: March 11, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
(sneaking this past the spoiler police)
I hope you can follow along… It’s a proverb.

Very canny rebus. Was it a proverb before the bard got hold of it?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 02:48:45 PM by blackrockrose »

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: March 11, 2023, 07:19:01 PM »
Hi John

That was the easiest rebus you have ever done to my way of thinking

Usually I spend hours trying to figure out your musical rebuses

Thank you

Carol >:D >:D ;D ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: March 11, 2023, 09:00:22 PM »
A 1975 song from an album by one of my favourite bands. This song is a nine-part tribute to a founding member of the band.

Don't usually do many of the rebus puzzles as they're not really my thing but I glanced at this and got it straight away!  Great song from a great band!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: March 12, 2023, 01:49:48 AM »
Great song from a great band!  >:D

You do have exceptionally good taste Linda :)
Have you found Tuvalu yet?  >:D :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: March 12, 2023, 02:22:21 AM »
Indeed I have, Pen, somewhere in the South Pacific, I think.  Finished the puzzle last week and was glad to see the back of it!  Who knew there was so much water in the world?!  Might have a go at hubby's puzzle of album covers next.  At least I won't have oceans of ocean to contend with.   

Hope you're relatively snow free today.  We had quite a bit on Thursday but it mostly melted away yesterday, thankfully.  Still very cold though so am not venturing too far today.

Roast chicken again tonight!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: March 12, 2023, 02:48:30 AM »

Pen, you are a Wonder.

Quite often easy peasy is a result of having the same knowledge base as the rebus setter and a bit of luck at picking up cryptic associations.

As it happened I couldn't solve either of your excellent rebuses based on my knowledge base because pop music is the greatest of my many areas of ignorance.

However, when I supplemented my knowledge base with Googles, both rebuses were solveable in a few minutes.

Hi Jack

I thought for a moment you were paying me a compliment and then the penny dropped  :laugh:

I think you have an enormous range of knowledge - amazes me sometimes :)  I'd happily swap it for my grasp of pop music - though that's mostly only from the sixties and seventies!  We'd probably make an half decent quiz team - with you doing most of the heavy lifting  :laugh:  Ms Google is definitely my friend when I'm having a tussle with some of your tricky rebuses  ;)

A simple rebus from me today.  It's the book that Zoe's reading at present.

#8 2 #3 #4

Position is vitally important.  Please lose the first three letters of picture one and picture four is a homophone.  I don't think it'll take more than about a minute.

I just got a job making plastic Draculas.
There are only two of us on the production line, so I have to make every second Count.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:54:43 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: March 12, 2023, 02:58:43 AM »
Indeed I have, Pen, somewhere in the South Pacific, I think.  Finished the puzzle last week and was glad to see the back of it! 

Hope you're relatively snow free today.  We had quite a bit on Thursday but it mostly melted away yesterday, thankfully.  Still very cold though so am not venturing too far today.

Roast chicken again tonight!  >:D

Not surprised Linda - I think you deserve a medal  :laugh:

Thankfully no more snow today.  Like you it's bitterly cold here.  Zoe and I managed a quick walk but soon came back for a cuppa.

I'm going to be dreaming of roast chicken for the rest of the afternoon  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: March 12, 2023, 10:58:08 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 11/3

John 11/3

Pen 10/3

John 10/3

Jack 10/3

Pen 9/3

Jack 9/3

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: March 12, 2023, 11:06:34 PM »
We'd probably make an half decent quiz team
It's the book that Zoe's reading at present.
picture four is a homophone.

Hi Pen,
I thought we made a fully decent team.

One of the reasons I have been a bit slack for the last three days is that I have read two books in series that I like.

So Shall You Reap by Donna Leon.  Commissario Brunetti #32
A heart full of Headstones by Ian Rankin  John Rebus #24

I had thought both series were going a bit stale but both books were as great as ever.

Donna Leon has also written a one off novel with no connection to the Brunettis.  I will get a copy and report in due course.

There were two items of interest in your picture 4. The first was the ball broke the stumps.  I wondered whether that was common or not.  Also I could not work out if the batter (see I’ve picked up the genderless jargon) got an inside edge or not.

Well, I guess I had better get with the strength and give the line of a song as my rebus.  It was popular about the time I started high school and I sang it endlessly.

#4  2   1   #8  #3  2   9(#3   #6)

Position is doubly important.  Conceptually 2 lines.  Picture 1 is the only one on line 1.

a    

Picture 1.  Replace the first letter by an adjacent letter in the alphabet.
picture 5.  Affectionate homophone

The bonus question is:  Who was the man with three ears who is the subject of the song. It certainly wasn't Van Gogh.

Estimated time:Somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.

The caption the dog walker put on Bonnie’s picture in Facebook was “I always get the feeling Bonnie is laughing at us”

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:14:41 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: March 13, 2023, 01:56:27 AM »

I thought we made a fully decent team.

I had thought both series were going a bit stale but both books were as great as ever.

There were two items of interest in your picture 4. The first was the ball broke the stumps.  I wondered whether that was common or not.  Also I could not work out if the batter (see I’ve picked up the genderless jargon) got an inside edge or not.

Estimated time:Somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.

The caption the dog walker put on Bonnie’s picture in Facebook was “I always get the feeling Bonnie is laughing at us”[/url]

Hi Jack

I think we make a thoroughly decent team  :-*

I was meant to be meeting up with an old work colleague today but she couldn't make it so here I am!  I very much enjoyed your post.  A very tricky rebus which took me the wrong side of 10 minutes and a great picture of Bonnie - as always  :)

It's very unusual for the stumps to get broken.  If the batsman (no I'm not with the genderless jargon yet  >:D) did get an inside edge then it renders my homophone invalid  :laugh:

My rebus is a quote from the Bard.

#2 #5 #2 3 #3 #2 #4

THE
Please use the middle letters for both pictures one and three and the second and third letters of picture five.  You need the last three letters of picture four and then change the last letter.  Can you remember the name of the dog in the last picture? Please lose the last letter and then change the first.  If you're struggling to remember the name of the character in picture two then think about my nickname ;) oh and all one one line please.  I would think less than five minutes should do it.

A father is asked by one of his friends "Has your son decided what he wants to be when he grows up?"
"Yes" he replied "He wants to be a bin man"
To which his friend responds "That's a strange ambition to have for a career"
"Well he thinks that the bin men only work on Thursdays!"

The kettle's calling me...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:00:58 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: March 13, 2023, 06:24:33 PM »
My rebus is a quote from the Bard.  I would think less than five minutes should do it.

Hi Pen,

I couldn't solve it without the help of google, so I will rely on one of the experts to report how accurate your timing was.

Blue gave me some puns to try out on you.
  • A man just assaulted me with milk, cream and butter. How dairy.
  • Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
  • Doctor: “Sir, I’m afraid your DNA is backwards.” Me: “And?”
  • I’m reading a horror story in Braille. Something bad is about to happen… I can feel it.
  • I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
  • Did you hear about the two silk worms in a race? It ended in a tie!
  • A plateau is the highest form of flattery.
  • Yesterday I accidentally swallowed some food colouring. The doctor says I’m OK, but I feel like I’ve dyed a little inside.
  • What’s the difference between deer nuts and beer nuts? Beer nuts are two dollars, but deer nuts are under a buck.
  • eBay is so useless. I tried to look up lighters and it gave me 13,749 matches.
  • RIP boiled water. You will be mist.
  • Trying to write with a broken pencil is pointless.

I am duty cook tonight, so must go.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: March 14, 2023, 06:00:16 AM »
Hi Pen,

I just woke up and there was a song on the radio that tickled me and so I thought I would share it.  A quick google tells me it was first released in 1972 and has been covered several times since.

(#3 #4, #8, #3) #10 #4

Conceptually one line, punctation not pictured.

Picture 1.  Ditch the first letter.

Standard time: 15 seconds to 5 minutes.

Back to sleep. :-Z :-S :-P

Regards, Jack