Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814529 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9315 on: March 08, 2023, 10:49:55 PM »

I got an answer in just over a minute but when I looked it up I had put the wrong vowel in word one. I hadn't heard of the place before.

Hi Jack

I woke up to a load of snow this morning!  Thankfully it was light and fluffy and brushed off the car easily.  By the time I got to work it had turned a bit sleety.

I didn't think you would have heard of it! I thought it might make a slightly tricky but not impossible rebus.  As I've said before you know what thought did!  :laugh:

My rebus today is a Heritage site in the UK.  I suspect you'll find this quite easy peasy squeezy!

9 (#6 + #3) #4

Please ignore Mr MacKay in the first picture - you're interested in the character on the left and change the first letter. Please also change the first letter of the third picture.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

I bumped into my neighbour Dave this morning.  He looked a bit fed and I asked him what was wrong.
He said his wife Diane asked him what was on the telly yesterday evening.  Apparently his reply of "dust" didn't go down very well.

Leave you with a daft joke  ;D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: March 09, 2023, 07:27:41 AM »
My rebus today is a Heritage site in the UK.  I suspect you'll find this quite easy peasy squeezy!

I see you've gone back to that easy peasy malarkey.  Nothing could be further from the truth!!. 

I was trying to make something of Betcha. I gave up after 5 minutes and  appealed to google.  It become solveable when I knew who the actor in picture 2 was.

There will be someone in Chi land who will find it easy peasy.  Sometimes i look back on some of the earlier rebuses I set and I can't solve them without without looking at the spoiler alert or using google, so this is not a criticism of your rebus which was very clever.

Back Later

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: March 09, 2023, 12:19:41 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 8/3

Pen 7/3

Jack 7/3

Pen 6/3

Jack 6/3

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: March 09, 2023, 02:46:13 PM »
Well done, Jack and Penny. I'm enjoying your puzzles and jokes.
Please keep them coming.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: March 09, 2023, 05:16:21 PM »
Hi Moyra,

As requested.

Blue had a didgeridoo and he was playing Dancing Queen on it. I thought, ‘that’s Abba-riginal.

Blue said to his gym instructor: ‘Can you teach me to do the splits?’ The gym instructor replied: ‘How flexible are you?’ Blue said: ‘I can’t make Tuesdays.

I’ve got a new GP .  After studying my lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly well - for my age".

A little concerned, I couldn’t resist asking him, “Do you think I’ll live to be 90?”

He said, “I’ll tell you after you answer a few questions, but you must be scrupulously honest".  I said I would but I might have been a little careless with the truth on the drinking and eating.

He asked, “Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?”
Oh no,” I replied. “I’m not doing drugs, either!

Then he asked, “Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?”
I said, “No, my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy.”

Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking or cycling?”
No, I don’t,” I proudly said.

He asked, “Do you gamble, drive fast cars or have a lot of wild sex?”
No,” I said, “absolutely not.

He looked at me and said, “Then why do you even give a bugger?”

My rebus today is about a memorial which commemorates a mid 19th Century altercation between the workers, mostly immigrants, and the police, who represented the Colonial Authority of Great Britain, which resulted in 27 deaths and many injuries.

#6   8(#5  #3)

Conceptually One Line. 

Picture 1.  Archimedes in his bath.  Modesty prevents me from showing him jumping out and running up the street naked and shouting.  You know what he was shouting.
Picture 3.    Homophone of the middle 3 letters.

Estimated time: 30 seconds to 10 minutes depending on knowlede of Australian and Greek history.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:19:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: March 09, 2023, 05:54:50 PM »
I found it very quickly!  ;)
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: March 09, 2023, 07:02:11 PM »
So did I Aunty Mo

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: March 10, 2023, 01:17:52 AM »
Estimated time: 30 seconds to 10 minutes depending on knowledge of Australian and Greek history.

Hi Jack

A cracking post and another great rebus :)  It took me seven minutes.  I got led astray by the middle picture but then I had an Archimedes moment  :laugh:

I've got a dentist's appointment at 3 so I've got about an hour to cobble a post together.

My rebus is a line from a nursery rhyme.  It's a bit ambitious so I hope I can finish in the allotted time!

3 #5 #4 #4 #4 3 #2 #5 #4 #4

THEAND
Please use one of picture one and then re-arrange the letters.  Lose the first two letters of picture three and put a different letter in their place.  Please change the middle letter of picture six and the first letter of picture seven.  What is Mrs Bucket? please change the last letter.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.
If you've come across it before then it shouldn't take you more than about 5 minutes.

Apologies in advance for any errors or omissions ;D  Time I got moving.  I don't know why but this tickled me.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:21:45 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: March 10, 2023, 01:19:59 AM »
Well done, Jack and Penny. I'm enjoying your puzzles and jokes.

Thanks Moyra - it's lovely to be appreciated  :-*

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: March 10, 2023, 06:44:48 AM »
Hi Pen,

Great rebus. 

I hadn’t heard it before, so I needed most of the five minutes.

If it stops raining we have a plumber coming at 7 o’clock to fix a leak, so must go and worry about the robin

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: March 10, 2023, 06:11:06 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’m a bit pressed for time, so just the rebus today.

Today’s memorial is somewhat unusual in that although it was only opened in 2011, it commemorates the death of 91 people in the seventeenth century.  I can’t use homophones in the first word because although I know how it is pronounced in Norwegian, I am not sure how it would be pronounced in English.

10( #6  #4) 8 2  7(#3  #4) 2  #5  #6

Conceptually one line.

Memorial to of

Picture 1.  Insert “L” as the penultimate letter
Picture 2.  Remove the first and fourth letter from the group of musicians
Picture 3.  Abbreviation
Picture 4.  Remove the “E”
Picture 5.  A homophone at last.
Picture 6.  The men and dogs love these competitions.  Not sure about the sheep.

I think 3 minutes would be a good time.

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9326 on: March 11, 2023, 12:16:44 AM »
A 1975 song from an album by one of my favourite bands. This song is a nine-part tribute to a founding member of the band.

#5 #2 #3 #5 #7
Image 2 – she’s got it backwards; image 3 – mum’s the word; image 5 – I’m just trying to cover all the bases – All on one line

It's late and I'm off to bed...

The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: March 11, 2023, 02:04:52 AM »

If it stops raining we have a plumber coming at 7 o’clock to fix a leak, so must go and worry about the robin

Hi Jack

I woke to about six foot of snow this morning!  Slight exaggeration it was about an inch or two :laugh:  Thankfully it turned to sleet and it's now almost gone but still bitterly cold.

I was wondering if that was the same robin that was in my waiting room a few weeks back  ;D

After about 20 minutes of effin' and blindin' I sought help from Ms Google with your rebus and finally came up with an answer.  I've just patted myself on the back  >:D

My rebus is today's ear worm - heard it on the radio this morning.  It's a record from the 1960's.  I wouldn't dare say it's easy peasy >:D but it is!!  I think about a minute should do it.

#2 #6 #5

Please chose either in picture one and use the first and last letters. Please ignore the lady in picture three and focus on Johnny English and lose the second letter.  Picture two is a homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

I received a text message this morning saying that I've won either £100 cash or a ticket to an Elvis Presley tribute act...
it said to press 1 for the money or 2 for the show!

Must get on with a few chores.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: March 11, 2023, 02:06:23 AM »
A 1975 song from an album by one of my favourite bands. This song is a nine-part tribute to a founding member of the band.

Mine too John.  A great rebus  :)

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: March 11, 2023, 06:40:56 AM »
March 11 challenge game:  (sneaking this past the spoiler police)

A rejected word often used on this thread to suggest the relative difficulty of a rebus

Regular readers of Pen’s posts should whiz in  with the answer in under 20 seconds