Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814370 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9105 on: February 02, 2023, 10:52:50 AM »
A nice simple straightforward puzzle from me today. 
How might you describe what Mr Astaire is doing in three words? Last of the three words please!

Hi Again, Pen,

Thanks for the response.  Wouldn’t it be great to be a mind reader?

I asked Blue what sort of squat he was doing for fitness training these days.  He said,"Diddly".

My rebus is a song. I remember one of my late friends singing this frequently on a golfing bus trip from Canberra to Cowra and twice as loud and many times as often on the return trip after the obligatory post golf tipple.  It was a 1977 disco song. The song became the singer’s only worldwide hit in 1978, peaking at No. 3 on the Australian charts and No. 5 in the UK Singles Chart. In the United States, the song peaked at No. 7 on the pop chart and spent two weeks at No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart, his only US top 40 hit.  Having reminded myself of that trip over 40 years ago, I can’t get the bloody song out of my head.  I think that’s called an ear worm.

#4  #2   2   #3  #3

Conceptually one line but position is essential. For each picture you must remove the first and last letter.

I’ll leave you with a couple of photos taken on Bonnie’s walk on Tuesday.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:08:26 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: February 02, 2023, 07:39:34 PM »
Hi Jack.
Great Bonnie photo. I'd be happy to just stand in the water too....given our current weather!
Another good rebus.I worked it out quite easily...once I figured out the type of bird....duh :-\
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: February 02, 2023, 09:31:11 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Wouldn’t it be great to be a mind reader?

I think that’s called an ear worm.

I’ll leave you with a couple of photos taken on Bonnie’s walk on Tuesday.

Hi Jack

A flying visit as I'm doing chores and have to go shopping.

So sorry I mistakenly thought a soft shoe shuffle was a common expression for a bit of tap dancing :(  I should have just used somebody shuffling cards.  Thought that would be too obvious.  Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing? :-R

After solving your rebus I too now have an ear worm :laugh:

Great picture of Bonnie - she's enjoying the water

Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: February 02, 2023, 10:44:18 PM »
I thought a soft shoe shuffle was a common expression for a bit of tap dancing 

Hi Pen,

I am sure you are probably right. I can generally cover my ignorance of music and art by clever use of google but on this occasion I probably asked the wrong questions.  I am sure Moira and Carol would have been right on top of it.  Don’t dumb down your rebuses to cover for my weaknesses. I’ve got a backlog of 6 spoiler alerts which I will try to deal with tomorrow.

I just came in from chasing a huge cane toad around the back yard with my can of Stophop.   He has stopped hopping.

What did you think of the baby goanna in the tree.. I bet you just wanted to give it a cuddle.

Well, I am going to try to get my regulation 8 hours of Kip, so see you in the morning.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:32:52 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: February 02, 2023, 10:55:31 PM »
Hi Moyra,

I love the way the dog walkers take photos and put them up on Facebook..Bonnie has never been so fit.

I was going to use a clover leaf in the rebus but that would have been too easy.  I hope they have plovers in the other places our readers come from.

I must admit our pool has had more use in the last month than it has had in the previous two and a half years.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:31:56 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: February 03, 2023, 03:23:11 AM »

I just came in from chasing a huge cane toad around the back yard with my can of Stophop.   He has stopped hopping.

What did you think of the baby goanna in the tree.. I bet you just wanted to give it a cuddle.

Hi Jack

You made me roar with laughter :laugh:  The thought of you chasing the cane toad and then the comment that he stopped hopping just tickled the hell out of me!

I did wonder what that was in the tree.  If that's only a baby then I shudder to think what an adult goanna is like :o  As you can imagine I would have been running as fast as my short little legs would carry me in the opposite direction  :laugh:

I've been out for a walk with my old work friend Gill.  It's a tropical 12oc here today although the very windy wind makes it feel quite a bit cooler than that!

A quick rebus from me as I still have a few chores  :(  It's a film from the 1940's which had a remake about 40 years later.  It wont give you a headache.

#3 7 (#4 + #3) 6 (#2 + #4) #5 #6

THE
Please use the first name of the gent at the front of picture two.  Replace the first two letters with just one.  You're not interested in Joel Garner but what he is (not a cricketer!)  Middle two letters of a four letter word.  Please change the fourth letter of picture six and all on one line.

A policeman sees a man driving around with a van full of penguins. He pulls the guy over and says, "You can't drive around with penguins in the town! Take them to the zoo immediately."
The guy obliges and drives away.
The next day, the officer sees the same man driving around with the van full of penguins again. This time, though, all the penguins are wearing sunglasses.
The police officer pulls the guy over and says, "I thought I told you to take these penguins to the zoo yesterday?"
The man replies, "I did, and today I'm taking them to the seaside."

Leave you with a very naff joke ;D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 03:25:20 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: February 03, 2023, 01:01:38 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

PEN 2/2

Jack 2/2

Pen 1/2

Pen 31/1

Jack 31/1

John 31/1

Pen 30/1

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: February 04, 2023, 01:55:44 AM »
Aye up Jack

We actually had some sun this morning although we still have the chilly windy wind.  Been for a walk with Barbs which was lovely :)

My rebus today is a snippet of Shakespeare.  I think you'll find it easy peasy!

#3 #3 #2 9 (#4 + #5)

Please use the first name of the actor in picture one and lose the first letter. Past tense for picture two and lose the middle letter of what picture three is please.
A bonus point if you can name the play the quote comes from.

Ta ra a bit  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: February 04, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
I think you'll find it easy peasy!
A bonus point if you can name the play the quote comes from.

Hi Pen,

Great rebus.  Do I get the bonus point if I tell you Martin Luther King had a different one. 

I heard on the radio that an Australian country music singer-songwriter died last month.  So, my rebus is the 1970s song he was most famous for.  I wouldn’t have a clue how you’ll find it, so I won’t tell you, but some Australians will get it within 30 seconds.

3  #7   2  3  #(6  4)

Position essential.  2 definite articles not pictured.  One homophone but the number of words is different.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:23:17 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: February 04, 2023, 11:23:11 AM »
Yes, within 30 seconds....and I admit that I don't ever remember hearing the singer's name.
I'll be googling to see what else I can find out about him.
The things we get out of the forum, hey?
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9115 on: February 04, 2023, 01:48:50 PM »
Great rebus.  Do I get the bonus point if I tell you Martin Luther King had a different one. 

I wouldn’t have a clue how you’ll find it, so I won’t tell you, but some Australians will get it within 30 seconds.

What the Puck, Pen???  ;) ;) ;) Do I get a bonus point as well???

As for getting it in 30 seconds, Jack - try 10...  ;D ;D ;D
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: February 04, 2023, 03:12:00 PM »
As for getting it in 30 seconds, Jack - try 10...  ;D ;D ;D

That's pretty good.  Can anybody beat 10?

Did anybody need more than 60?
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #9117 on: February 04, 2023, 04:25:38 PM »
Can anybody beat 10?

Probably about five.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: February 04, 2023, 04:44:46 PM »
My rebus today is a snippet of Shakespeare. 

Hi Pen,

I can’t match your highbrow rebus today and will stick with Aussie country artists.

Slim Newton went down well.  Another Slim is much better known but I haven’t picked one of his better (or better known) songs because this one makes a better rebus.   I am betting this one will hold the experts up for at least a minute.

#3  #5  2  #6   #7

Conceptually one line.  Position essential. 

General hints.  So see how you size up. You should be in the right if you have a choice. I am truly ashamed of my political incorrectness in one frame.  But I am proud of my restraint in not using a picture with an “I” and asking for a substitution in another frame. :D

And something different.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 04:46:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: February 05, 2023, 01:41:25 AM »

What the Puck, Pen???  ;) ;) ;) Do I get a bonus point as well???

Okay boys you can both have a bonus point!  In fact as I'm feeling very generous I'll give you both an extra bonus point for the puns ;D