Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814559 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9030 on: January 21, 2023, 03:34:42 AM »
Biggest thing is developing confidence that ankle is nearly healed

I know exactly what you mean, TRex (I love writing that name, they were my absolute favourite band way back).  I started off with a walking frame which made me feel about 150 years' old and then progressed to two crutches and then down to one.  I remember thinking how on earth am I ever going go feel confident enough to walk unaided but of course I have got there eventually.  The physio said walking is great but you are still relying on your other leg to do some of the work (!) so the Pilates is designed to strengthen the muscles and other stuff they cut through on the bad leg only.  I suppose they know what they're talking about.   Some days are better than others but they say it could take up to 18 months before I'm fully back to where I was as I have had "invasive and traumatic" surgery - yikes!  >:D

I was completely useless at crutches (too big a klutz) — practically fell flat on my face trying to use them. The indispensible tool for getting around the first couple of months was a knee scooter (though I managed to fall off it a few times and once went head-first over the handlebars!).

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: January 21, 2023, 06:25:19 AM »
I was completely useless at crutches (too big a klutz) — practically fell flat on my face trying to use them. The indispensible tool for getting around the first couple of months was a knee scooter (though I managed to fall off it a few times and once went head-first over the handlebars!).

Oh TRex that does conjure up a funny picture!  I know it's not a laughing matter but it did make me chuckle.  So very pleased you're on the mend :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: January 21, 2023, 08:20:52 AM »
Oh TRex that does conjure up a funny picture!  I know it's not a laughing matter but it did make me chuckle.  So very pleased you're on the mend :)

I'm sure an observer would have had been laughing. I went head-first into the wife's dresser and, naturally, several things fell off on to the back of my head (I was face-down). After several seconds of quiet, a huge crash came down on me — I'd dislodged the mirror from the back of the dresser and it had fallen on me (without breaking!), taking a few more things from the top of the dresser down on top of me. I stayed face down for awhile, afraid of what might still be coming (not realising I'd brought down the mirror). My wife came running into the room, saw me face down not moving and tentatively called my name, worried. Still face down, I told her I thought I was okay, but worried I might have re-injured the ankle (I had not, fortunately, but it was a few days before x-rays revealed that bit of good news). I can only imagine how the second wave of falling items, including the mirror, would have looked to an observer, but it probably was like slapstick comedy!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: January 21, 2023, 03:26:03 PM »
Nothing cultural from me today.

Hi Pen

That’s a pity.  It’s not often a simple ocker larrikin gets to wrestle with the highbrow stuff.  Well, I am going to stick with it for a while although my rebus deals with an act of thievery early in the Nineteenth Century.  When it is done by a British diplomat in a deal with the Turks who were administering Greece at the time, it is not called thievery but an egregious act of imperial plunder.

Some statues, friezes and stuff were nicked from the Parthenon and they are now in the British museum in an exhibit called

3 5(#2 #3) #7

One line. Definite article not pictured. 

Picture 1 and 2.  Use only the first half.

Picture 3.  Now I have brought your attention their leisurely pace, how would you describe them.  That’s the easy part.  The answer is an anagram of that.

I’ll leave you with a bit of light relief.

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: January 21, 2023, 09:37:15 PM »
The chips were delish Linda :-H  The problem I have is that I should have bought a bit bigger one.  Once I'd got the chips in there was little room for anything else.  I could have got a couple of bangers in at a push.  My neighbour, Jan, has a Ninja.  It really is all singing and dancing.  She cooks everything in it and can't remember when she last used her oven, apart from Christmas lunch.  It does come with a hefty price tag though.

It's sunny and frosty here too.  I've been for a walk with Barbs and it was gorgeous.  I'm very jealous - I love Ambleside.  You are so lucky having all these lovely places on your doorstep.  Though I guess it's not so much fun when there are hordes of tourists.  PLEASE don't slip on the ice - I'd hate for you to go arse over tit >:D

Very pleased to hear about the delish chips Pen.  Might invest in one myself.

I made it back home without slipping on the ice but was glad to be back on my sofa after all the hobbling about.  Ambleside was fairly devoid of tourists and looking beautiful in the summer sunshine.  If you are jealous of my proximity to the Lakes I am jealous of your Bletchley Park - what a fascinating and atmospheric place.  We spent hours there a few years' ago and loved it plus it has a very nice cafe which is always a bonus!

Another beautiful frosty, sunny day here so will wrap up and venture out for a stroll this afternoon.  Not touching the flaming jigsaw for a while as all that bending over the tiny pieces gave me backache which is all I need at the moment!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: January 22, 2023, 02:37:05 AM »

I made it back home without slipping on the ice but was glad to be back on my sofa after all the hobbling about.  Ambleside was fairly devoid of tourists and looking beautiful in the summer sunshine.  If you are jealous of my proximity to the Lakes I am jealous of your Bletchley Park - what a fascinating and atmospheric place.  We spent hours there a few years' ago and loved it plus it has a very nice cafe which is always a bonus!

Another beautiful frosty, sunny day here so will wrap up and venture out for a stroll this afternoon.  Not touching the flaming jigsaw for a while as all that bending over the tiny pieces gave me backache which is all I need at the moment!!  >:D

Pleased to hear you got home in one piece without any mishaps Linda :)  Bletchley Park is very special - it's easy to imagine what it would have been like during the dark days of WWII.

It was very foggy and frosty here this morning but the sun broke through after lunch so Zoe and I went for a lovely walk. 

I had been wondering about the jigsaw - so I wont be finding out where Tuvalu is any time soon..  >:D  :laugh:  Joking apart you really don't want backache on top of everything else. Think you have more than enough to contend with.   Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: January 22, 2023, 03:42:07 AM »

It’s not often a simple ocker larrikin gets to wrestle with the highbrow stuff.  Well, I am going to stick with it for a while although my rebus deals with an act of thievery early in the Nineteenth Century.  When it is done by a British diplomat in a deal with the Turks who were administering Greece at the time, it is not called thievery but an egregious act of imperial plunder.

Hi Jack

Zoe and I have had an enjoyable day and she's headed for home before her car freezes up again.

I believe the subject of your rebus are being returned to where they belong quite soon :)

I'll return to the cultural theme for my rebus today.  This can be found in Paris. It's not a painting!

#5 #2 #4

Please use the last two letters of picture two (Not who she is but rather what!).  Change the first letter of picture three and then re-arrange the letters.

I think that men who shorten their name to Pat are missing a trick!

The lady who volunteered at the local parish church doing the flowers and cleaning left after a disagreement with the vicar.  The vicar asked the organist if she would also be able to clean the church.  The organist thought for a minute before replying, "Do you mean that I now have to mind my keys and pews?"

ps*  Not sure I've got the right context but as it's a great word I don't care >:D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:50:32 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: January 22, 2023, 06:16:46 AM »
I'm sure an observer would have had been laughing. I went head-first into the wife's dresser and, naturally, several things fell off on to the back of my head (I was face-down). After several seconds of quiet, a huge crash came down on me — I'd dislodged the mirror from the back of the dresser and it had fallen on me (without breaking!), taking a few more things from the top of the dresser down on top of me.

It sounds like you had a very lucky escape TRex.  What a good job the mirror didn't break.  You don't need seven years bad luck on top of everything else!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: January 22, 2023, 09:41:41 AM »
Hi TRex,

Wishing you all the best.  I hope your recovery will be complete and speedy.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: January 22, 2023, 11:45:37 AM »

What a good job the mirror didn't break.  You don't need seven years bad luck on top of everything else!

Hi Pen,

Your statement gives me an idea for today's post.   If you are superstitious you probably believe in Astrology and horoscopes.  So here is some information for you.  Other people with different signs can easily google their situation if they believe in, or are amused by, fortune telling.

Click here for an introduction.  The video is entertaining.

The luckiest Chinese zodiac signs in 2023 are Oxen, Tigers, and Snakes. Then, with not quite so much luck, come Dogs, Horses, Goats, and Pigs. Rabbits' and Rats' fortunes will be influenced by 'opposition to Tai Sui'. Roosters and Monkeys will have to work especially hard to make headway.

This shouldn’t be a problem for you because people born in the Year of the Monkey according to the Chinese zodiac always have enviable abilities and wisdom. Their skills and smart ideas can be seen by others when they are very young. A sharp foresight and a unique perspective promote their development in every aspect. Other people are always amazed at their acute intuition and predictive powers. If there is an established goal, they apply strong actions to achieve it. A strong curiosity causes them to want to bravely try everything interesting. ‘All bark and no bite’ is not their lifestyle. They win a high popularity among others because of their amicability and kindness. They always try their best to help others in daily life. An upbeat attitude always influences them and everyone around them.

But to more important things.  The Tamworth Country music Festival is ending today.  Tamworth is the city closest to the farm June grew up in - not the market town and borough in Staffordshire, 14 miles north-east of Birmingham. So it is appropriate that my rebus today is about two adjacent establishments, about 5 miles west of the farm, which most visitors to the festival would have visited.

3  8(#4  #4)  #5  and 3 #3  #6

Each establishment is on one line.  The definite article is not pictured.

Picture 1.  The adjective associated with the pirate.
Picture 4.  It’s a crime . Just as well you only need the first half.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:26:03 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: January 22, 2023, 09:05:32 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Jack 22/1  - 2 rebuses

Pen 21/1

Jack 21/1

Pen 20/1

Jack 20/1

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: January 22, 2023, 10:07:41 PM »
This shouldn’t be a problem for you because people born in the Year of the Monkey according to the Chinese zodiac always have enviable abilities and wisdom. Their skills and smart ideas can be seen by others when they are very young. A sharp foresight and a unique perspective promote their development in every aspect. Other people are always amazed at their acute intuition and predictive powers. If there is an established goal, they apply strong actions to achieve it. A strong curiosity causes them to want to bravely try everything interesting. ‘All bark and no bite’ is not their lifestyle. They win a high popularity among others because of their amicability and kindness. They always try their best to help others in daily life. An upbeat attitude always influences them and everyone around them.

I'm a Monkey, too!  Can't really recognise myself from the above decription though.  More an Aries than a Monkey I think.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: January 23, 2023, 12:47:42 AM »
I'm a Monkey, too!  Can't really recognise myself from the above decription though.  More an Aries than a Monkey I think.  >:D

Nope - me neither Linda.  Perhaps we're just a pair of cheeky monkeys >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: January 23, 2023, 01:55:33 AM »
If you are superstitious you probably believe in Astrology and horoscopes.  So here is some information for you.  Other people with different signs can easily google their situation if they believe in, or are amused by, fortune telling.

The Tamworth Country music Festival is ending today.  Tamworth is the city closest to the farm June grew up in - not the market town and borough in Staffordshire, 14 miles north-east of Birmingham. .

Hi Jack

It's another bitterly cold day here without even a drop of cheery sunshine.  Been for a walk and frozen my bits off and now following Linda's lead and have cranked the heating up :)

I read your post first thing while I was having my morning cuppa and thought how strange that they have a Country Music Festival in Tamworth.  Then read it again - properly :-R

I have no idea why I'm superstitious.  I lob salt over my shoulder if I spill it, hate seeing only one magpie and don't like Friday the 13th.  It's not very rational :laugh:  I gave up reading my horoscope years ago.  I do think that some signs of the Zodiac have certain characteristics but it's probably a load of old toot >:D  I enjoyed reading the feng shui article and, as you say, the video is entertaining :)

I watched Ticket to Paradise last night :)  The scenery was stunning - very beautiful.  Sadly I didn't see you and Bonnie lurking behind a bush  :laugh:

Here's a nice easy little rebus for you.  It's a record that's had a couple of different outings by the same artist.

6 (#3 + #3) 2 #3 #4

Please change the first letter of the second picture. You need a bit of a homophone of the character's name in picture three.  Position is vital.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth, and then He rested.
Then God created man, and then they both rested.
Then God created woman, and since then neither God nor man have ever rested!

Buzz Aldrin just got married again...
He must be over the moon!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 02:01:08 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: January 23, 2023, 04:33:29 AM »
Been for a walk and frozen my bits off

I have no idea why I'm superstitious.  I lob salt over my shoulder if I spill it,

Sadly I didn't see you and Bonnie lurking behind a bush  :laugh:

Here's a nice easy little rebus for you.  It's a record that's had a couple of different outings by the same artist.

Hi Pen,

My superstition is that if I spill a beer, I am compelled to have another one as soon as possible.

I am not surprised that you didn’t see us. It was filmed just up the road in the Whitsunday Islands just short of 600 miles north.  Big place, Queensland.

Great rebus.  Did you pick it because the artist performed in Brisbane on Saturday night before heading across the ditch.
 :-Z :-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 04:35:18 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack