Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814210 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9015 on: January 19, 2023, 09:37:08 PM »
A fine place, Pen.  Are you an art lover?  Have I asked you this before?  One of my favourite programmes is Fake or Fortune, although I could happily lose Fiona Bruce!!  >:D

You haven't asked me that before Linda!  I do love art but I'm probably a bit conservative :laugh:  I love Monet (which I know you do too :))  I'd probably give the Tate Modern a wide berth.  I'm not so keen on Picasso and modern artists like Tracey Emin though I do like some Hockney.  I've been to the Wallace collection - they've got the Laughing Cavalier which is a lot smaller than you'd expect and the Courtauld Gallery.  You can't beat the National Gallery though - it's amazing :)  Sat in front of the Haywain for ages! How about you? What do you love or hate?
I haven't seen Fake or Fortune but I shall seek it out.  Know exactly what you mean about Fiona Bruce :-R
I'm just off to see what Sainsburys are giving away.  I shall be back after lunch.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: January 19, 2023, 10:42:56 PM »
Hi Pen,

I only know Fiona Bruce from Antiques Roadshow and I thought she was terrific.   Still, different folks, different strokes.  She scrubs up well for 68.

She can’t compete wth a 2.5 year old who loves kids play areas
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 08:44:00 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: January 19, 2023, 10:43:50 PM »
I love the Courtauld Gallery. Have been to the Wallace Collection to see the Laughing Cavalier who seems to be smirking rather than laughing!  Have been to the Tate Modern several times but can only recall having aching feet!  My favourite gallery is the Musee Do'Orsay - absolutely beautiful.  My favourite artists are Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Pissaro, Renoir and Degas.  No time for Tracey Emin and her unmade bed type things!  Struggled through hundreds of Japanese tourists to see the Mona Lisa and was surprised to see how small she was - like us!! Went to the Picasso Museum in Barcelona and was not vastly impressed but the Miro Museum was lovely.  I used to dabble in oils and watercolours a bit but not for some time.  Perhaps when I retire  ....

Off to physio this afternoon - joy!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: January 20, 2023, 12:31:17 AM »
Oh Linda you're spot on as usual.  The Laughing Cavalier is definitely smirking and not laughing :laugh: 
When we went to the Palace of Versailles we had to fight hundreds of Japanese tourists with selfie sticks.  They have surprisingly sharp elbows :-R  I had heard that the Mona Lisa was quite diddy.
I am so jealous of you being able to paint -  I don't have an artistic bone in my body :(  It's such a great thing to be able to do.  Bet you can't wait to retire :)
I hope the physio goes well.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: January 20, 2023, 01:27:27 AM »
I only know Fiona Bruce from Antiques Roadshw and I thought she was terrific.   Sill, different folks, different strokes.

She can’t compete wth a 2.5 year old who loves kids play areas[/url]

Hi Jack

I'd say 'it's horses for courses!'  I'm sure I've said it before but my Mum used to say 'It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing!'  Nobody can't compete with that 2.5 year old who is obviously having a wonderful time in the playground :-*

It's a beautiful sunny day here.  I've done a few chores and been shopping.  I'm going to do a quick post then head out for a walk while it's nice.

I've solved John's rebus and one of your rebuses but stuck on the second one for the moment.  I must remember to say thanks to Carol and Moyra for their kind words  :)

My rebus is the film I'm intending to watch on Saturday night.  It's fairly recent.  When you've solved it you'll know why I'm keen to watch it >:D  I think you'll find this very easy but I want to get out before the sun disappears  :laugh:

6 (#4 + #2) #2 8 (#4 + #4)

Please use the character's name in the first picture and change the first letter.  You need the second and third letters of the first name of the lady in picture two.  Please pretend it's all on one line.

Somebody tore the fifth page out of my calendar...
I'm so dismayed!

A T-Rex and a Velociraptor are sitting in a bar. The Velociraptor points to a Triceratops in the corner and says, "Why is he first to get served?"
The T-Rex says, "Because he was herbivorous!"

Leave you with a couple of very naff jokes ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: January 20, 2023, 02:34:31 AM »
I only know Fiona Bruce from Antiques Roadshow and I thought she was terrific.

Hmm!  Well, I went to an Antiques Roadshow some years ago and she was very bossy, bit like a strict headmistress!  I think you'll find that she is 58, not 68!

Physio went ok, Pen.  Have been given some Pilates exercises which can be done lying down - my kind of exercise!! Trying to snow here so have ramped up the heating, despite the cost.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: January 20, 2023, 03:22:15 AM »
Physio went ok, Pen.  Have been given some Pilates exercises which can be done lying down - my kind of exercise!! Trying to snow here so have ramped up the heating, despite the cost.  >:D

Glad the physio went well Linda.  I like the idea of lying down exercises :laugh: 

Don't blame you for cranking up the heating.  Nowt worse than being cold - especially if you're enjoying Chief Inspector Foyle or Inspector Barnaby with a chilled glass of wine  >:D  My sister had snow in Essex on Monday.  We've been fortunate so far and not had any. (That'll be the kiss of death  :-R)  Been very frosty and I've been scraping my car early every morning this week.  Apart from today when I had a cuppa in bed instead.  Enjoying my new three day working week so far :) 

I bought an air fryer a couple of weeks ago but haven't plucked up the courage to use it yet.  Going to try cooking 'proper' chips for tea rather than frozen oven chips.  Fingers crossed they come out ok.  If I'm feeling really brave I'll lob a frozen Greggs sausage roll in as well :laugh:

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: January 20, 2023, 07:09:33 AM »

Glad to hear, Linda. I was given the option of physio at yesterday's appointment, but told simple walking could be sufficient. Guess what this lazy-bones chose?  >:D I got the okay to start walking without the enormous boot and started immediately. Using a 'Hinged Wraptor Ankle Brace' (what a lot of words!) without even a cane, except when going up/down stairs; getting up during night I'm skipping brace and just using a cane. Biggest thing is developing confidence that ankle is nearly healed — still not cleared for more extreme stuff like table tennis! Doc says my right calf muscles are visibly atrophied but using them should restore them to something normal.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: January 20, 2023, 08:37:37 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Pen 19/1

John 19/1

Jack 19/1 – 2 rebuses

Pen 18/1

Jack 18/1

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: January 20, 2023, 01:38:48 PM »
I went to an Antiques Roadshow some years ago and she was very bossy, bit like a strict headmistress!  I think you'll find that she is 58, not 68!
I'd say 'it's horses for courses!'  my Mum used to say 'It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing!' 

Hi Pen and Linda,

I did a bit of research on Fiona to check her age and she is 58.  She has had a very interesting life and she does appear to be a strong-minded, confident person, so I can easily imagine she would be a bit bossy.  I have a soft spot for strong-minded women.  Just as well, as I’m married to one. I didn’t know that that being a teacher for 30 years was the thing that made her bossy.   :D

You can never tell what media personalities are really like off camera but there was story I came across that makes me think Fiona might be dinkum.

Bruce was featured in an episode of Top Gear (series 10, episode 3), sharing a lift with one of its presenters, Jeremy Clarkson, and then having to push him out (as he was stuck in a Peel P50, which has no reverse gear). As she walked away, Clarkson commented, without her knowledge until the programme was aired, "She has got quite a nice bottom... I said that out loud, didn't I?" Bruce returned to Top Gear in the next series (series 11, episode 4), alongside fellow newsreader Kate Silverton, for the Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car feature. As a comeback to the "nice bottom" comment, she slapped Jeremy's and declared that it "needs a bit of work"

She was awarded the female Rear of the Year title in 2010, and accepted it in person. The following year, however, she declared that her acceptance of it had been "hypocritical" and that the award was "demeaning".

Jeremy Clarkson is somebody I could easily dislike.

I will leave you with this
Click here
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 02:39:00 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: January 20, 2023, 06:24:22 PM »
My rebus is the film I'm intending to watch on Saturday night. When you've solved it you'll know why I'm keen to watch it >:D 

Hi Pen,

I’ve been scratching my head to figure out why you would want to watch it other than it got excellent reviews. Surely it can’t be that you’ve got a thing for Julia Roberts?  :D It must be that although it is set in Bali, most of it was filmed in Queensland. >:D

I will stick with your theme of famous items in art galleries.  Today you are looking for the title of sepia-toned chlorobromide photograph taken about 1918, 26.7 x 30.2 cm.  One google site says it is  held in the Australian National Gallery, Canberra whereas another has it as belonging to the Art Gallery of NSW.

#5  5  #3  3  #8

One line.  Position essential.  Conjunction not pictured.

Picture 1.  Surname.  Make a homophone which has two letters less.

Picture 2.  Think of an idiom for something easily achieved.  Pick the word that fits the count and then make the homophone which luckily has the same number of letters.

Picture 3. More than one of them
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: January 20, 2023, 08:34:38 PM »
Biggest thing is developing confidence that ankle is nearly healed

I know exactly what you mean, TRex (I love writing that name, they were my absolute favourite band way back).  I started off with a walking frame which made me feel about 150 years' old and then progressed to two crutches and then down to one.  I remember thinking how on earth am I ever going go feel confident enough to walk unaided but of course I have got there eventually.  The physio said walking is great but you are still relying on your other leg to do some of the work (!) so the Pilates is designed to strengthen the muscles and other stuff they cut through on the bad leg only.  I suppose they know what they're talking about.   Some days are better than others but they say it could take up to 18 months before I'm fully back to where I was as I have had "invasive and traumatic" surgery - yikes!  >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: January 20, 2023, 08:41:15 PM »
I bought an air fryer a couple of weeks ago but haven't plucked up the courage to use it yet.  Going to try cooking 'proper' chips for tea rather than frozen oven chips.  Fingers crossed they come out ok.

The 'would of' woman I work with has one, Pen and she says they make great chips.  Please report back as I have been thinking of getting one.

Sunny, frosty day here.  Off to Ambleside and Kendal today so fingers crossed I will be ok with the walking and won't slip on an icy patch and shatter my other hip!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: January 21, 2023, 12:38:33 AM »
The 'would of' woman I work with has one, Pen and she says they make great chips.  Please report back as I have been thinking of getting one.

Sunny, frosty day here.  Off to Ambleside and Kendal today so fingers crossed I will be ok with the walking and won't slip on an icy patch and shatter my other hip!!  >:D

The chips were delish Linda :-H  The problem I have is that I should have bought a bit bigger one.  Once I'd got the chips in there was little room for anything else.  I could have got a couple of bangers in at a push.  My neighbour, Jan, has a Ninja.  It really is all singing and dancing.  She cooks everything in it and can't remember when she last used her oven, apart from Christmas lunch.  It does come with a hefty price tag though.

It's sunny and frosty here too.  I've been for a walk with Barbs and it was gorgeous.  I'm very jealous - I love Ambleside.  You are so lucky having all these lovely places on your doorstep.  Though I guess it's not so much fun when there are hordes of tourists.  PLEASE don't slip on the ice - I'd hate for you to go arse over tit >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: January 21, 2023, 01:42:42 AM »

I’ve been scratching my head to figure out why you would want to watch it other than it got excellent reviews. Surely it can’t be that you’ve got a thing for Julia Roberts?  :D It must be that although it is set in Bali, most of it was filmed in Queensland. >:D

I will stick with your theme of famous items in art galleries.  Today you are looking for the title of sepia-toned chlorobromide photograph taken about 1918, 26.7 x 30.2 cm.  One google site says it is  held in the Australian National Gallery, Canberra whereas another has it as belonging to the Art Gallery of NSW.

Hi Jack

I had a friend, many moons ago, who used to say "Hope you don't get a splinter!" if I said I was scratching my head :laugh:

I hadn't realised that the film was mostly filmed in Queensland. I shall be looking out to see if you and Bonnie are lurking behind a bush anywhere :laugh:  That's if I stop swooning of course >:D

Nothing cultural from me today. My rebus is a record from the 1970's which I still love today. Don't think it'll give you too much of a problem.

#5 #2 #3 #5 #4 #3

THE

Position is vital!  Please remove one letter from the first picture and change the first letter of the second (not violin - how else is it known?)  Please use the first four letters of picture three and you need a homophone of any of the 37 in the last picture!

Going to make a cuppa and return for another wrestle with your rebus  :)