Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823519 times)

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8910 on: January 06, 2023, 02:44:58 AM »
A long time between drinks for me - I hope the wait is worth it...

A song (and album) that has its 40th birthday this year…

#5 #6 #3 #4 #2 #54

Homophones galore;  ;D image 2 – you’re not interested in the players, just what they’re wearing and change the first letter; image 6, lose the last letter singular and lose the middle two letters (there, I've fixed it!); all on one line

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:06:32 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: January 06, 2023, 03:09:36 AM »
You know how to live life on the edge Linda  :laugh: Your tea sounds yummy delish :-H
You'll be pleased to hear my fridge is now a cucumber free zone! Only get a half now & then to have it with salmon in a sarnie!
I expect to hear that the jigsaw is finished by the weekend >:D
I got 3 correct answers on Only Connect the other night  :o
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: January 06, 2023, 08:40:20 PM »
I got 3 correct answers on Only Connect the other night  :o

Get you!!  Bet you're like a dog with two tails!  I watched it and think I managed to get one connection on the connection wall.  Most of the questions go straight over my head and some I don't even understand when they explain the answers. 

Off to Kendal today to get said calendars - hopefully there will be a hideous Cliff calendar available for 99p by now. 

Glad to hear you're now cucumber free and hope your pasta dish last night was as good as it looked.

Haven't started puzzle yet but am thinking about it and will soon be able to pinpoint the exact location of Mauritania just in case I ever need to know such a fact!  Have a lovely day.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: January 06, 2023, 09:31:18 PM »
Oh Linda you don't half make me laugh :laugh:  :laugh:

Any answers I get on Only Connect are more by luck than judgement &, like you, most of it goes over my head.

I hope you're successful finding your cheap Cliff calendar.  Have you considered throwing darts at it? >:D  That would be fun!  Mind you, you could accidentally injure a colleague :angel:

My pasta dish was nice - not a word I'm very fond of!  It was quite creamy and I much prefer more tomatoey pasta sauces.  I could eat tomatoes til the cows come home - love 'em.

When you've located Mauritania can you find Tuvalu for me please?  It crops up on Pointless all the time & I don't have a clue where it is  ???

I'm off to my friend Barb's for a cuppa and catch up - have a smashing day  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: January 07, 2023, 12:44:23 AM »

A song (and album) that has its 40th birthday this year…

Sorry John but you've got me beat! I've got the last four words.  I assumed the second picture was whites but there's not much you can get by changing the first letter.  Their caps are known as baggies which is too many letters.
Hopefully Jack will succeed where I've failed  :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: January 07, 2023, 12:49:35 AM »
The chicken introduction (above) triggered memory of one of my more humiliating high school moments: 

This tickled me Paula  :laugh:  Meant to say before but got distracted!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: January 07, 2023, 01:57:48 AM »
Hi Jack

It's a nice sunny day here and not a drop of rain in sight!  Been up to see Barbs for a walk and a cuppa :)  A quick post before I tackle the crossword.

My rebus is a novel that was made into a film.
#3 #4 5 #7

You need the character in picture two and past tense in picture three please.  Position is vitally important.

An American tourist cornered a Scotsman at the Highland Games
ground and asked:
'I've heard of Scotsmen and their kilts. Do you mind
telling me what's worn under your kilt?
'Nothing is worn under the kilt Madam; everything is in good working
order', answered the Scot smiling.

The worst pub I’ve ever been to was called The Fiddle. It really was a vile Inn.

Need a cuppa ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: January 07, 2023, 01:58:30 AM »
I hope you're successful finding your cheap Cliff calendar.  Have you considered throwing darts at it? >:D  That would be fun!  Mind you, you could accidentally injure a colleague :angel:

My pasta dish was nice - not a word I'm very fond of!  It was quite creamy and I much prefer more tomatoey pasta sauces.  I could eat tomatoes til the cows come home - love 'em.

When you've located Mauritania can you find Tuvalu for me please?  It crops up on Pointless all the time & I don't have a clue where it is  ???

Not a flaming Cliff calendar under £9 to be had and I'm certainly not spending that much on him!  The darts idea is a very good one but I'm not that good an aim and would probably pierce a colleague or two before I hit him on the nose.  Got a lovely Agatha Christie Marple calendar for home and spent a £50 gift card on stuff I would think twice about forking out for in Boots!  Very indulgent. 

You will be shocked to know that I only just tolerate tomatoes!  Don't mind them in small doses - egg and tomato sarnie for instance - but don't love them.  Don't get on too well with acidy type things - oranges, satsumas etc.  In fact I don't get on with much fruit apart from raspberries, strawberries, cherries and pineapple. Loathe and detest bananas and pears.  Don't tell me, you absolutely love them?  :-\

I will let you know where Tuvalu is when I've located it - sounds small and remote to me, but what do I know ... yet!!  Will report back.  Time for coffee.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: January 07, 2023, 04:29:28 AM »

Not a flaming Cliff calendar under £9 to be had and I'm certainly not spending that much on him!  The darts idea is a very good one but I'm not that good an aim and would probably pierce a colleague or two before I hit him on the nose.  Got a lovely Agatha Christie Marple calendar for home and spent a £50 gift card on stuff I would think twice about forking out for in Boots!  Very indulgent. 

You will be shocked to know that I only just tolerate tomatoes!  Don't mind them in small doses - egg and tomato sarnie for instance - but don't love them.  Don't get on too well with acidy type things - oranges, satsumas etc.  In fact I don't get on with much fruit apart from raspberries, strawberries, cherries and pineapple. Loathe and detest bananas and pears.  Don't tell me, you absolutely love them?  :-\

I will let you know where Tuvalu is when I've located it - sounds small and remote to me, but what do I know ... yet!!  Will report back.  Time for coffee.  >:D

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable day and it's lovely to treat yourself to stuff you wouldn't normally buy :)  Poor show not being able to find a cheap Cliff calendar :(

I do love raspberries, strawberries, cherries and pineapple.  Haven't managed to find any satsumas this year.  I can take or leave pears but I like a banana for breakfast on my cereal.  I'm a bit fussy though - they have to be firm and certainly not squishy and overripe!

My Mum used to say it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things :laugh:

I've got pizza for tea :-H  Throwing in a bit of salad (NO cucumber >:D) to make it look healthy!

I shall be intrigued to find out where Tuvalu is  ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: January 07, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Spoiler Alert

Pen’s rebus 6/1

John’s rebus 6/1

Date reflects the author’s time zone.
Regards, Jack

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: January 07, 2023, 11:31:49 AM »

I shall be intrigued to find out where Tuvalu is  ;)

An interesting bit of trivia about Tuvalu ...
All countries have a web domain suffix ( Australia is .au for example )
Tuvalu is .TV
This became of great commercial value, for companies like Disney ( they could obtain a web address like Disney.tv )

Michael
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 11:33:41 AM by whisky »

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8921 on: January 07, 2023, 11:32:16 AM »
Sorry John but you've got me beat! I've got the last four words.  I assumed the second picture was whites but there's not much you can get by changing the first letter.  Their caps are known as baggies which is too many letters.
Hopefully Jack will succeed where I've failed  :)

You are on the right path but it doesn't help that the final word I had was wrong - I think the term is a mondegreen  :P :P :P ...and you're properly confused because I've got it wrong!!! Sorry...  :cry: :cry: :cry:
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: January 07, 2023, 02:25:39 PM »
You need the character in picture three.  I thought you & John might enjoy a change from milkshake lady >:D

Hi Pen,

I was particularly taken by the "girl next door with a cheeky sense of humour" look.  She probably looks the same today at 22.  Your alternative lady has a beauty that has stood the test of time.  I have seen recent pictures of her at 86 and she looks great and many years younger than 86.  I also appreciated John's anonymous lady with the "French Maid" look which he claims to have sought out for me. - Thanks, John. Pen, I believe you don't have to be a voyeur to appreciate true beauty.

I was kept reasonably busy yesterday.  I had a trip to the airport at lunchtime to wave Andrew off back to Canberra and another trip later in the afternoon to wave the Cleveland mob off to Cairns for a week's holiday.  We had a family morning tea to get  together. In the evening I was chasing a cane toad around the back yard with a faulty can of HopStop® to wave him off humanely.  For whatever reason, we have seen more cane toads here in the last week than we have seen in two and a half years.

In Australian cricket terms, I understand whites are commonly referred to as creams.

Pen, I guess you’ve heard about the Australian Drop bears and how dangerous they are.   The problem is that they are a protected species so you can’t just shoot them.

Blue decided he could make a fortune as a Drop Bear remover, and he put an ad in the yellow pages.

A man in the Aussie Outback (let’s call him Digger) wakes up one morning to find a deadly Drop Bear on his roof. He looks in the yellow pages and see Blue’s ad, and he sends for Blue.

In due course, Blue arrives and gets out of his van. He's got a ladder, a cricket bat, 12-gauge shotgun, and a mean heavily-scarred old pit bull.

"What are you going to do?" Digger asks.

"I'm going to put this ladder up against the roof, then I'm going to go up there and I’ll knock the bastard off the roof with this cricket bat. When the bear falls off the roof, the pit bull is trained to grab his testicles and not let go. The bear will then be subdued enough for me to put him in the cage in the back of the van."

Blue then hands the shotgun to Digger.

"What's the shotgun for?" asks Digger.

"If the Drop Bear knocks me off the roof, shoot the bloody dog."

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:50:48 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: January 08, 2023, 02:52:51 AM »

I was particularly taken by the "girl next door with a cheeky sense of humour" look.   Your alternative lady has a beauty that has stood the test of time.  I have seen recent pictures of her at 86 and she looks great and many years younger than 86. Pen, I believe you don't have to be a voyeur to appreciate true beauty.

In the evening I was chasing a cane toad around the back yard with a faulty can of HopStop® to wave him off humanely.  For whatever reason, we have seen more cane toads here in the last week than we have seen in two and a half years.

In Australian cricket terms, I understand whites are commonly referred to as creams.

Blue decided he could make a fortune as a Drop Bear remover, and he put an ad in the yellow pages.

Hi Jack

You wont get any argument from me.  I think the Milkshake lady is lovely with a very natural prettiness.  Everywhere you look on the internet and on the telly there are women who have been botoxed (sorry spelling?) to within an inch of their lives with awful inflated rubbery trouty pouts.

I don't suppose June made a video of you chasing the cane toad round the garden? >:D  Whoever came up with the name Hopstop deserves a medal - very clever and funny :laugh:

I think I was disadvantaged with John's rebus!  Had I known you call cricket whites creams then I'd have got it.  Can I appeal to the umpire please?  I'll use one of my reviews :laugh:

A genie granted me one wish, so I said, "I just want to be happy."
Now I'm living in a cottage with 6 dwarves and working in a mine!

Why do seagulls fly over the sea?
Because if they flew over the bay, they'd be bagels!

First gym session after the Christmas hols last night. The instructor was shouting, "Push it, push it, come on
one more big push."
Finally he came over and opened the door for me!

I can't match Blue's escapades :laugh:

This tickled me :)
Smart Bird

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: January 08, 2023, 05:11:25 AM »
Wacko chuckles:

Stray jigsaw puzzle piece.

Also

Mrs. Goldfish’s divorce announcement
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:36:47 AM by lilys field »