Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814262 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8520 on: September 21, 2022, 09:08:29 AM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: September 21, 2022, 03:56:51 PM »
We're going for a walk then lunching at the Nut & Squirrel pub :-H

Hi Pen,

Now I am envious.  I had a look at the lunch menu.  It looks like it’s worth a long walk.

It is the school holidays here and the boys are making good use of the pool.

Today’s idiom is precautionary.

9(#5  #4)  #6  3 #3

Definite article not pictured. conceptually one line.

Picture 1.  The type of cabinet
Picture 2. Homophone.
Picture 3. Past particle.  Replace the first letter with another one.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:00:01 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8522 on: September 21, 2022, 07:31:05 PM »
Be careful out there, Jack - in the immortal words of the Eurythmics "Here comes that rain again"...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: September 21, 2022, 08:43:55 PM »
John, I put my trust in the rain shadow that seems to protect us from the weather coming from most directions.  My son-in-law was at Hendra this afternoon and the rain was coming down so heavy that the noise made normal conversation impossible.  Apparently, there was some blockage on the pipes on the roof and the roof fell in.  Meanwhile, where we were 30 kilometres away it was even sprinkling.  However, this summer I expect we will get our share of rain.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: September 21, 2022, 11:57:55 PM »

After several nice days, we turned the air conditioning back on here. Current outdoor temp is 92°F/33.3°C and the humidity pushes the heat index to 99°F/37.2°C  :P

Phew that sounds a bit hot TRex!

It's a clement 66oF/19oC here today.  Actually went out without a jacket on today :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: September 22, 2022, 01:14:15 AM »

Now I am envious.  I had a look at the lunch menu.  It looks like it’s worth a long walk.

Today’s idiom is precautionary.

Hi Jack

It was a lovely walk & lunch was very enjoyable :)  We had prawn sarnies with salad & some rather yummy chips which were nice & crisp on the outside & soft in the middle.  Today I've done some chores & been to Sainsburys for some shopping.

I loved your rebus ;)  My easy peasy rebus is allegedly a quote from a long running TV series.  It's debatable if it was ever actually said!

#4 #2 #2 #6

First picture is singular & just use the last two letters of picture two please. Forgot to say it's all on one line!

I must get the kettle on.  Know it's silly but this tickled me ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 01:16:13 AM by Hobbit »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: September 22, 2022, 07:00:04 AM »
Phew that sounds a bit hot TRex!

It's a clement 66oF/19oC here today.  Actually went out without a jacket on today :)

Indeed it was (and I hate hot weather at any time!). Your weather sounds wonderful, certainly much closer to my ideal.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: September 22, 2022, 07:10:12 AM »
It was a lovely walk & lunch was very enjoyable :)  We had prawn sarnies with salad & some rather yummy chips which were nice & crisp on the outside & soft in the middle.  T

I still think it was quite a trek and you were a star for doing it.  Also, your lunch will have Linda drooling.  It's had to find a restaurant that does a great chip.

I've just got time to give you an easy peasy idiom that you should be doing rarely, if ever.

#7  3   #8  #3

definite article not pictured. One line. Picture 3 - ditch the first letter

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 07:30:17 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: September 22, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »

Indeed it was (and I hate hot weather at any time!). Your weather sounds wonderful, certainly much closer to my ideal.

As do I!  Our weather wasn't much fun in the summer when it was constantly in the mid to late 30's with barely a drop of rain. No air conditioning at work & only a fan at home!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: September 22, 2022, 07:38:21 AM »
It's had to find a restaurant that does a great chip.

I've just got time to give you an easy peasy idiom that you should be doing rarely, if ever.

Barbs tells me their posh fish & chips is very scrummy ;) Think it's sea bass. A return visit is definitely called for :)

I definitely wont be doing that   >:D  :-Y

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: September 23, 2022, 01:00:19 AM »
Hi Jack

It's a nice warm day here.  I've been to Gill's, one of my old X-ray colleagues, & she gave me a very good lunch.  Salmon & cucumber roll & a warm sausage roll - delish  ;)  Afterwards we drove to Caldecotte Lake & had a lovely walk in the sun.

I was going to have a snooze but decided to do a quick post instead.

My rebus is another precautionary idiom.

#3'1 #4 #3 6 (#3 + #3) #2 #4 #4

THE

Please lose a letter from the American spelling of the first picture & change the first letters of pictures two & six.  Any one in picture five & lose the first letter & please re-arrange the letters in the last picture.  You have to be a bit creative with the pronunciation of the character in picture four.  Hope that all makes sense ;D  Sorry I meant to say you need only one of picture three. :-[

Turned out to be not so quick after all :laugh:  Going to reward myself with a little  :-Z

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:16:25 AM by Hobbit »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: September 23, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »
I guess Mother Nature looked at the calendar, saw it was the first day of autumn and decided to cool things down. This morning's low of 48°F/8.9°C was the coolest here since 19 June and led to a very nice high temp of 63°F/17.2°C this afternoon. Forecast is for even cooler tonight: good sleeping weather!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: September 23, 2022, 05:32:00 PM »
Hopefully by the time you read this TRex you will have enjoyed a good nights sleep :)
I'm still trying to work out the difference between cloudy & overcast ???
Met Office says we're 18oc & overcast today. However, there is blue sky in the distance & the sun is starting to appear!
I do wonder sometimes if they could organise a booze up in a brewery :laugh:...or an orgy in a brothel >:D
On that note I'd better get on with my brekkie! Have a busy day   :-C
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:34:00 PM by Hobbit »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: September 24, 2022, 04:00:37 AM »
Hopefully by the time you read this TRex you will have enjoyed a good nights sleep :)
I'm still trying to work out the difference between cloudy & overcast ???

Temperature-wise, it was great (down to 40°F/4.4°C); allergy-wise, not so good. I'm torn between wanting a good freeze to eliminate allergens and wanting some warmer weather for my tomato plants!

Although I've forgot much of my training because I haven't used it for thirty years, IIRC we were taught that sky observations were supposed to be based on (estimated) eighths of the sky*: seven-eighths or more was considered 'overcast' regardless of how dense the cloud cover was; one-eighth to seven-eighths was 'partly cloudy' or 'partly sunny' ('partly sunny' only used during daytime); one-eighth or less was 'clear' or 'fair'.

* the sky does not include areas blocked by trees, land elevations (natural obstacles), but does include areas blocked by man-made structures (never really understood the why for that); our observations were made from the top of the airport's control tower in flat Illinois, so there was little in the way of natural obstacles.

I believe weather observations are pretty standardised internationally, but perhaps there are some terminology variations used for public information.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: September 24, 2022, 04:31:22 AM »
Thanks TRex that's very interesting :)  We had a few sunny spells today so the Met Office forecast for overcast all day was wrong - just for a change :-R  My tomato plants have given up the ghost for this year!