Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821675 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8445 on: September 07, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »
Hi Carol,

I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say I have heard it in any conversations that I have had but I have come across it often when I have been reading through some of the books I own on Australian slang and usage.

Spoiler alert
This reference will give you a few examples of where it has been used in the literature
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 03:55:34 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: September 07, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »

Ocean bliss.  The good life. I have to frame it. Just to be there w them for a few moments of the day.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: September 07, 2022, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Pen,

You last rebus was a beauty.  I can’t top it so I will give you an easy topical one.

Me: “When I die, will you promise to pour a beer on my grave?”
Blue: “No worries mate, but I’ll have to pass it through my kidneys first.”

Blue was sitting at a bar in Brisbane when this huge, burly American guy named Chuck walks in.

As he passes Blue, he hits him on the neck knocking him to the floor. Chuck says,"That's a karate chop from Korea."

Well, Blue gets back on his barstool and resumes drinking his beer. Chuck then gets up to go to the toilet and, as he walks by Blue, he hits him on the other side of the neck and knocks him to the floor." That's a judo chop from Japan", he says.

Blue decides he's had enough and leaves.

A half-hour later he comes back and sees Chuck sitting at the bar. He walks up behind him and smacks him on the head, knocking him out.

Blue says to the bartender, "When he wakes up, mate, tell him that was a bloody crowbar from Bunnings."

My rebus today is a change of pace from old Aussie idioms and is the derisive nickname given to the British politician Mary Elizabeth Truss (born 1975), Leader of the Conservative Party since Monday 5th September 2022, and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom since Tuesday 6th September 2022.

3   #4  #11

The    

I’m off to the pub.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 04:53:41 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: September 07, 2022, 09:02:54 PM »

You last rebus was a beauty.  I can’t top it so I will give you an easy topical one.

Hi Jack

I've had a bit of a horrible morning so far but I read your post & it cheered me up & made me laugh out loud  :laugh:

My rebus is along similar lines to yours but about 120 years apart.  It's the nickname of a former Australian politician that really tickled me & my silly sense of humour >:D

#4 7 (#4 + #3)

Little Freddie is approached by the lifeguard at the local swimming pool.
"You're not allowed to pee in the pool," said the lifeguard. "I'm going to report you."
"But everyone pees in the pool," said Freddie.
"Maybe," said the lifeguard, "but not from the diving board!"

Nearly lunchtime thank goodness!  Cheese & marmite sarnie yummy :-H

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: September 08, 2022, 08:59:06 AM »
Hi Madeleine,

The family joke is that when they were pups, Dusty chewed Bonnie's ear and ever since, she has only been able to get one ear erect.

Michelle and Pascal do a great job with the photos.

Here is an excerpt from Facebook which demonstrates another reason we believe we made a good choice of dog-walkers.

"Something happened today that showed exactly how important fail-safe recall is!

While we were walking Ezzy along one of the roads today, a couple had their pup in the garden, off lead and unsecured. The pup saw Ezzy and started heading for her. The pup's parents were totally unaware of the danger the pup was headed for. I saw the ute coming up the road at the same time I realised the pup was heading towards us. I yelled a solid, short, sharp NO at the pup whilst stepping into the road to slow the Ute.

Pascal had Ezzy so I knew she was secure. The driver of the ute fortunately slowed down when he saw this crazy woman hurtling into the road. I shocked the pup enough with my sharp NO that he stopped dead in his tracks and managed to avoid being hit by millimetres.

The pup's parents had tried to recall the pup but it was so focused on Ezzy that it totally ignored them.

Please, please, practice recall with your pups. 20 minutes a day of concerted effort and reinforcement the rest of the time could very well save your pups life...and mine! The adrenaline dump afterwards hit hard."

Blimey, how scary and BRAVE! Definitely someone to trust with your Bonnie … Dusty looks the type to have a good chew 😂 But I think Bonnie’s ears are wonderful! and very expressive 🤠

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: September 08, 2022, 08:59:51 AM »
Excellent jokes and cartoons, thanks for cheering me up!

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8451 on: September 08, 2022, 11:24:25 AM »
That ear!!!  :angel: :angel: :angel:

Another idiom – often done after the time has expired on the day’s 7bm…

#2 (4) #2 #3 #7 #5
Image 1 implies the second word (I hope that’s not too obscure); image 3: second half only; homophones abound; notionally one line

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:50:15 AM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: September 08, 2022, 12:29:52 PM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: September 08, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »
Hi Pen,
I think we must give John the gold star for rebus of the week.  That is unless you or I can top it in the next three days.

You probably remember that before he came up to Brisbane, Blue lived his whole life in the country in the Southern Highlands of NSW. 

When he arrived in Brisbane, the first thing he does is looks for a job. He goes to the biggest department store and applies for a job. The HR rep asks him if he has any experience in sales.

So, Blue says 'yea I was considered one of the best salesmen in the district'.

The rep isn't impressed. 'This is one of Brisbane's most prestigious stores, your small-town experience just won't cut it. It's Friday, I'll give you the afternoon as a trial. If you are successful, you can start Monday. but I'll warn you that our standards are high' says the rep.

As the store closes on Friday afternoon, the rep asks Blue, 'How many customers did you serve'

'Just one' replies Blue.

The rep scoffs 'Just one? And how much was that sale for?'

So Blue passes his receipt over and says ' the sale was for $245,890.40'

The rep is looking at the receipt shocked. 'But how? That's the biggest single sale we've ever had. How did you do that?'

So Blue explains,'Well first I sold him some fish hooks, then I said you'll probably need some sinkers to go with that. Then I told him he'll need some lures. By then we had a lot of stuff so I told him he'll need a tackle box. All this new tackle would be wasted on some old rods, so I took him to buy some new fishing rods while we were at it. I then asked him where he fished, and he said the local creek. I told him if he wanted to catch some serious fish he needs to get out on the ocean. So, we headed over to the boat department. We settled on a 15-footer, all the accessories, with a trailer to boot. I then asked him what kind of car he had and he said he had a Honda civic. I told him that the Honda would struggle to tow the boat, so we went over to the auto division and picked out a brand-new Toyota 4-wheel drive, with all the optional extras, to tow the boat. And that's how I got my sale. '

The rep is in shock. After a few moments of contemplation, he asks Blue 'so your telling me a guy came in here looking for fish hooks and you managed to convince him to buy a boat and car?'

And Blue replies 'Actually no. The bloke came in saying he needs to buy some Tampons for his girlfriend. So, I told him, well mate, since your weekend is buggered, you might as well go fishing.'

You might find this Aussie expression a little disgusting when you learn its meaning.
8(#4  #3’s)      12(#4   #3  #5)

Word 1.  ‘s  not pictured. There is a homophone.  Conceptually one line

Finally, a non-political Facebook post.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: September 08, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »

I think we must give John the gold star for rebus of the week.  That is unless you or I can top it in the next three days.

You might find this Aussie expression a little disgusting when you learn its meaning.

Hi Jack

Yet another busy day here.  I'm quite happy though as it's my last day & then I have two whole weeks off :-)  I'm having a couple of weeks in Bletchley on Sea >:D

I loved your post - brilliant & Blue made me howl :laugh:  I'm more than happy to award John the gold star :)  I'm disqualifying you on the grounds that although your rebus was excellent you were right thinking that I found the meaning disgusting :laugh: >:D

I'm probably going to have to wait until tomorrow to accept your challenge to better John's rebus!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: September 09, 2022, 04:47:05 AM »
Hi Pen,

I was saddened to wake up to the news that Queen Elizabeth II has died.  I am not a monarchist but I have the greatest respect for her life of service. A truly great and admirable person.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 06:57:30 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: September 09, 2022, 07:20:48 AM »
Hi Jack. I feel sad & can't quite take it in.  It was very sudden. She was an amazing lady who dedicated her life to service & duty. She will be missed.
As you get up I'm off to my pit :-Y

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: September 09, 2022, 07:30:44 AM »
her passing is a great shock to the Nation, despite her age , as only two days ago she met the outgoing and incoming Prime Minister, doing Her duty to the last.

Jack, how long do you think before Prime Minister Albanese calls for a referendum for Australian Republicism?

Gareth.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: September 09, 2022, 09:52:20 AM »
Hi Gareth,

I don't expect that the unexpected death of the Queen will bring forward any precipitate plans for a referendum. 

In June, Australia swore in its first-ever Assistant Minister for the Republic, sparking speculation the new Prime Minister might push for a referendum on becoming a republic.

Albo has openly shown his support for transitioning to a republican model.

However, he made it very clear that his first priority for constitutional change was Indigenous recognition. That means that the republic, inevitably, is the second order of business. In fact, he's hinted that it's something that would not even be raised unless there is a second Labor government re-elected in three years' time.

You would be aware of how difficult it is to get a referendum up in  Australia.   There is no way the Government would want to jeopardise the Indigenous Voice referendum by having a proposal for a Republic referendum being pushed at the same time.   Popular opinion is that the Indigenous Voice referendum will be two years away at least.

Even after the Indigenous Voice referendum is held, there are hurdles to be overcome before proceeding to a Republic Referendum.  The republicans are divided on the method for determining who would be Head of State.  This is the issue that brought the 1999 referendum unstuck.

So I would be surprised if a referendum would be held before 2026.

There is a strong body of opinion that we may actually not become a republic until the British decided to become a republic.  When would you expect that to be, Gareth?
Regards, Jack

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: September 09, 2022, 04:59:13 PM »
Hi Jack

Thank you for your explanation, it was very enlightening.

I don't think Britain will ever be a republic.  I do not expect King Charles to be as popular as his Mother was but Prince William is a very popular person, so people will wait for his accession. I expect Him to become The Prince of Wales next year and we Brits do like the pomp and ceremony of these occasions. There will also be a Coronation next year so I believe the Monarchy to be safe for the foreseeable future.

Regards

Gareth
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else