Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814197 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8325 on: August 01, 2022, 11:16:52 PM »
Hi Pen

Just back from dentist - gold star for me!!  Can't quite believe it.  It cost me £48 just to be told that but there you are - I did ask for a discount for good behaviour but to no avail!

Will put Derbyshire on my list but will not be staying at the same Bakewell hotel as it was hideously awful.  There was a hidden radio in our room that came on in the early hours of the morning.  An eerie, ghostly voice singing a mournful tune and it sounded like there was someone just outside the room.  Very scary and it took us a good few minutes before we could locate the damned thing to switch it off.  Not very pleasant. 

Sounds like Versailles is well worth a trip - those Japanese tourists get everywhere with their hi tech cameras!  I had to push and shove several of them aside just to get anywhere near the Mona Lisa. 

Hope you enjoyed your sarnie.  My lunch was eggs too but scrambled so nowhere near as nice as yours.

Washing machine has packed up now - looks like it's going to be an expensive day for us!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: August 01, 2022, 11:55:44 PM »

Just back from dentist - gold star for me!!  Can't quite believe it.  It cost me £48 just to be told that but there you are - I did ask for a discount for good behaviour but to no avail!

There was a hidden radio in our room that came on in the early hours of the morning.  An eerie, ghostly voice singing a mournful tune and it sounded like there was someone just outside the room.  Very scary and it took us a good few minutes before we could locate the damned thing to switch it off.  Not very pleasant. 

Sounds like Versailles is well worth a trip - those Japanese tourists get everywhere with their hi tech cameras!  I had to push and shove several of them aside just to get anywhere near the Mona Lisa. 

Washing machine has packed up now - looks like it's going to be an expensive day for us!!  >:D

Oh Linda I can't believe you didn't get a discount from the dentist for good behaviour >:D  You know what they say that things come in threes?  You'd better brace yourself for another unexpected cost.  Hope you can get the washing machine repaired & you don't have to run to a new one.

I did try pushing the Japanese tourists out of the way but wasn't very successful.  They were too quick for me :laugh: & a lot of them had those wretched selfie sticks >:(  Versailles is definitely worth a visit.  I just hope the weather's halfway decent so you can enjoy the outside.

When I read about the creepy radio it sent a shiver down my spine.  Sounds like one of those 1960's horror films.  Then I thought about you in your curlers & hairnet & nylon dressing gown looking for it & had to laugh :laugh:  sorry!

Back to the grindstone - only 2 hours til home time.  It's really hot & muggy here today :(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:28:20 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: August 02, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »
Oh Linda I can't believe you didn't get a discount from the dentist for good behaviour >:D  You know what they say that things come in threes?  You'd better brace yourself for another unexpected cost.  Hope you can get the washing machine repaired & you don't have to run to a new one.

I did try pushing the Japanese tourists out of the way but wasn't very successful.  They were too quick for me :laugh: & a lot of them had those wretched selfie sticks >:(  Versailles is definitely worth a visit.  I just hope the weather's halfway decent so you can enjoy the outside.

When I read about the creepy radio it sent a shiver down my spine.  Sounds like one of those 1960's horror films.  Then I thought about you in your curlers & hairnet & nylon dressing gown looking for it & had to laugh :laugh:  sorry!

Back to the grindstone - only 2 hours til home time.  It's really hot & muggy here today :(

We are now the owners of a brand new washing machine, Pen, as the old one was beyond repair!  Got it from a local supplier who fitted it this morning while I was at work and has taken the old one away.  Bit more costly than buying from a larger 'white goods' store but it's done now and we can have clean clothes again!

Why is it that Japanese tourists love selfie sticks?  Are they actually taking in the view/painting/whatever or are they too busy posing for the camera?  I avoid having my photo taken at all costs! 

What a wonderful image of me you have created, Pen!  Can I just say that I don't even own a dressing gown, nylon or otherwise, but as for the rest .....

Just having my lunch (ham and tomato baguette with our fave condiment, of course) and then back to it for another three hours.  Warm and drizzly here.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: August 02, 2022, 11:31:18 PM »
Hi Jack

Greetings from Milton Keynes Hospital.  My last day until next Monday :)  It's another very hot & muggy day here.  Thankfully the Fracture clinic does have air-conditioning so I can't moan too much ;D  I'm very much looking forward to my few days away & seeing David.  Also, it's considerably cooler up there :laugh:

My simple rebus is a book published in the 1990's.

#3 #6 #5
THE
Please ignore the policeman in the first picture & change the first letter of the second.

The same author also wrote
#3 #5 8 (#3 + #3 + #2)
THE
You want the opposite of the fourth picture please.

My neighbour Dave, who lives across the road, told me yesterday that on Saturday he decided to give his wife Daphne a taste of her own medicine!
He said he took her to 10 different pubs, only to go back to buy a drink in the first one pub they went in!

Cheeky

This really tickled me - hope it sticks.

That's all from me

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: August 03, 2022, 01:03:21 AM »

We are now the owners of a brand new washing machine, Pen, as the old one was beyond repair!  Got it from a local supplier who fitted it this morning while I was at work and has taken the old one away.  Bit more costly than buying from a larger 'white goods' store but it's done now and we can have clean clothes again!

Why is it that Japanese tourists love selfie sticks?  Are they actually taking in the view/painting/whatever or are they too busy posing for the camera?  I avoid having my photo taken at all costs! 

What a wonderful image of me you have created, Pen!  Can I just say that I don't even own a dressing gown, nylon or otherwise, but as for the rest .....

Just having my lunch (ham and tomato baguette with our fave condiment, of course) and then back to it for another three hours.  Warm and drizzly here.  >:D

Very pleased to hear you have a new washing machine Linda :)  I think it's good to support local business if it's at all possible.  My most recent fridge was from AOL & the delivery was a nightmare >:(  My old fridge was integrated into a unit but my wonderful neighbour, Andy, had undone it so it was literally a case of undo one bolt & pulling it out from under the worktop. It didn't even have the cupboard door still attached.  I was at work but Zoe was working from home at mine.  She said they brought the new fridge in & put it in the middle of my (quite small) kitchen.  They took one look at the old one & said they couldn't take it as it was integrated & walked out.  Poor Zoe couldn't get round the fridge in the middle of the kitchen floor to get to the kettle.  Thankfully Andy came round & pulled out the old fridge & installed the new one.  Took him about 20 minutes all told & was all sorted by the time I got home from work.

I don't know why they love those selfie sticks.  I rather suspect they're posing for the camera but I'll stand corrected :laugh:  Like you I hate having my picture taken.

I don't think anybody uses curlers these days do they? let alone a hairnet :laugh:  Do you remember Carmen heated rollers?  I think my sister had some many moons ago.  Do ladies still sit under a dryer at the hairdressers?  Sorry I'm digressing now >:D

Your lunch sounds scrummy  :-H  Mine was a corned beef & pickle sarnie.  It didn't set my world on fire sadly :(

Less than an hour to go hurrah :-C
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:08:56 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: August 03, 2022, 04:01:27 PM »
Like you I hate having my picture taken.
Hi Pen,

Good rebuses from your Canadian Author.

I have just started a series written by (loosely speaking) a neighbour of yours. She is also a contemporary (again loosely speaking) of yours.  Ruth Downie, born 18 April 1955 in North Devon, is a British author living in Milton Keynes. She is best known for her mysteries featuring the doctor and “reluctant sleuth”, Gaius Petreius Ruso, set in the Roman world.  I have just finished the first in the series Medicus which I really enjoyed.  I have just started the second book, Terra Incognita.

Have a great time up in the Peak District.

Keep an eye out for this person.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 04:04:02 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: August 03, 2022, 09:30:20 PM »

Good rebuses from your Canadian Author.

I have just started a series written by (loosely speaking) a neighbour of yours. She is also a contemporary (again loosely speaking) of yours.  Ruth Downie, born 18 April 1955 in North Devon, is a British author living in Milton Keynes.

Have a great time up in the Peak District.

Keep an eye out for this person.

Thanks Jack I'm really looking forward to it :)  Just got to have a bite to eat & throw a few things in my holdall & then my neighbour's running me up to the station.

I've never heard of Ruth Downie but I will investigate the books :)

I thought my rebuses were a bit easy but I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

I don't know who that dodgy looking woman is but I will give her a very wide berth >:D

I'd better not linger longer ;D
Penx

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: August 03, 2022, 10:20:31 PM »
Do you remember Carmen heated rollers?  I think my sister had some many moons ago.

I do remember them, Pen, not that I ever used/needed them as my hair is naturally curly but gets straightened out!!  Not sure about the dryer situation.  Can you remember those old dryers with the hoods or were they just for home use?  Can't remember. 

I must say that the purchase and installation of new washing machine was quick and easy and the old machine was whisked away without a problem.  Good to support local businesses, as you say.

Being a bit naughty today and having a Cornish pasty for lunch as am sooooo hungry!

Enjoy your break - I've got 3 more hours to do and then off until next Tuesday.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: August 04, 2022, 12:03:18 AM »

my hair is naturally curly   
Can you remember those old dryers with the hoods or were they just for home use? 

Being a bit naughty today and having a Cornish pasty for lunch as am sooooo hungry!

Enjoy your break - I've got 3 more hours to do and then off until next Tuesday.  >:D
I'm on the train Linda typing this on my mobile so it's in the lap of the gods if it goes :laugh:
I'm very jealous as I've always wanted curly hair! Had some disastrous perms in my youth  >:D
I do remember those hairdryers. Not sure but think folks used them at home.
It was a corned beef sarnie again for me. Not a patch on a pasty!
Have a smashing extra long weekend :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: August 07, 2022, 01:25:44 AM »
Hi Jack

Just a quick post to say I'm back home.  I've had a lovely relaxing short break.   It was much cooler up there - a welcome relief from all the heat we've been having.  I enjoyed a ride out on David's Velocette yesterday.  I find it very exhilarating & it's a great way of seeing the beautiful scenery :)

I hope your daughter had a smashing birthday & enjoyed her special day :)

I'll return with a proper post tomorrow.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: August 07, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »
Hi Pen,
Glad to hear your visit to the peak district was so good.

Cathy has reported that all aspects of her birthday celebrations went exceptionally well.  One that we participated in was a family lunch at the Courthouse Restaurant at Cleveland.  It has won several awards.  The building itself goes back to 1853.  Our group of 7 fitted nicely into a private room, The Judges Chambers.  We were warned it would be expensive but were pleased to learn that it was not as expensive as the top restaurants in Canberra or the Southern Highlands.

We are looking after Dusty over the long weekend and so he is enjoying some of the walks with Bonnie and our dog walkers, Michelle and Pascal.

Here is a simple little idiom to get you back in the swing of things.

#4  #4

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 02:58:41 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8336 on: August 07, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »
I’ll see your idiom and raise you another…

#3 #4 #2 2 4(1 #3) #5
Homophones; image 2, second half only; image 4, middle two letters; location, location, location; conceptually one line

y

...and some naff jokes to keep you amused...

Sleeping comes so naturally to me, I could do it with my eyes closed.

There was a kidnapping at school yesterday. Don't worry, though - he woke up.

Did you hear about the new restaurant called Karma? There's no menu - you get what you deserve.

How do you make holy water? Boil the hell out of it.

What's the difference between a hippo and a zippo? One is really heavy and the other is a little lighter.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:18:32 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: August 07, 2022, 11:10:47 PM »

Cathy has reported that all aspects of her birthday celebrations went exceptionally well.  One that we participated in was a family lunch at the Courthouse Restaurant at Cleveland.  It has won several awards.  The building itself goes back to 1853.  Our group of 7 fitted nicely into a private room, The Judges Chambers.  We were warned it would be expensive but were pleased to learn that it was not as expensive as the top restaurants in Canberra or the Southern Highlands.

We are looking after Dusty over the long weekend and so he is enjoying some of the walks with Bonnie and our dog walkers, Michelle and Pascal.

Hi Jack

I've got all my chores out of the way this morning before it got too hot. 

Very pleased to hear that Cathy had a very enjoyable day & celebrated her birthday in grand style :)

Gorgeous pictures of Bonnie & Dusty :-*

I've had a tussle with John's rebus but have failed miserably :(  My offering is an expression I'm fond of using ;D

#4 #3 #4 #8 #2 #1 #5

A
Please remove a letter from the first picture & insert a bit of punctuation. Please change the first letter of picture two & lose the first letter of picture five. You need the city in the third picture & drop the last letter. Oh & please pretend it's all on one line! Hope you can pick the bones out of that :laugh:

A Spanish magician tells the audience he will disappear on the count of three...
He says "Uno, dos..." & then poof! he disappeared without a tres!

I need a cuppa ;D

Just had to rush out into the garden as Bletchley Park had a fly past.  It was a Hurricane today.  Next week it's a Spitfire & the following week it's a Lancaster.  I love that - the noise is tremendous & it makes all the hairs on my neck stand on end.  Heaven knows what a squadron of them would sound like!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:16:56 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: August 07, 2022, 11:28:57 PM »
Hi Linda

I don't know if you're tuning in but I'm sure you'll spot this at some point.

I had bashed up egg with our favourite condiment & ham sarnies for lunch.  Extra yum delish :-H

I was scrolling through some pictures on my phone the other day & found one I'd taken inside the palace at Versailles.  It was as we were entering the Hall of Mirrors.  It gives you some idea of the crowd!  We had a guide with our group & one of the things I remember her saying was "if it looks like gold then it is gold!"

Back to work tomorrow :(

Sorry I can't seem to attach it & I can't delete my failed attempt :(  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'll send it to Jack & see if he can work some magic!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:40:33 PM by Hobbit »

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8339 on: August 07, 2022, 11:38:09 PM »
Pen, I think your attachment may be incorrect - I downloaded it and looked at the html file and it was simply text... :( :-R :P
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)