Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823569 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8265 on: July 14, 2022, 12:20:57 AM »
Hi Jack

Greetings from a very warm Milton Keynes hospital.

I'm very much looking forward to my little break in Yorkshire :)  Ideally I'd like the weather to be a little cooler but beggars can't be choosers.  It's better than pouring rain!

My rebus today is a book published in the 1930.

#6 #2 #3 7 (#4 + #3)

OF

The first 2 pictures give you the first word.  Ignore the 2 gents & spot what they both have in common!  Last 2 pictures are homophones.

A wealthy man and his wife are going to a function, so they decide to give the butler the night off. However, a couple of hours later the wife was bored, so she leaves the party and goes home, only to find the butler sitting alone at the table. She orders the butler upstairs to her bedroom, where she locks the door...
"Hudson," she commands, "take off my hat."
Hudson promptly obeys.
"Now, ," she says, "take off my dress."
He obeys.
"Now, Hudson, please remove my underwear."
Breaking into a nervous sweat, Hudson complies.
"Now Hudson," the wife says, "if I should ever catch you wearing my clothes again..."

Leave you with this ;D

I forgot to say I've searched for The Detectorists without any success :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:24:18 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: July 14, 2022, 07:42:48 PM »
Hi Pen

Another stuffy night in paradise!!

I hope you have a lovely time in Yorkshire! Do you know the area? Watch out for seagulls in Whitby - they are ferocious and noisy and greedy! Funnily, and spookily, enough we will be in Yorkshire too but based in Leeds where son lives.  We were thinking of having a day in Harrogate but haven't booked anywhere yet - have you seen the prices of hotels now?  Ridiculous and you seem to have to pay more for breakfast - whatever happened to bed and breakfast all inclusive?  Anyway, rant over.  We are deciding where to go in September when I have another two weeks off - plane delays and cancellations are putting us off a bit and I hate airports at the best of times so don't want to spend more time in them than absolutely necessary.  Maybe Paris by Eurostar is the answer.

Book club tonight so I will feel obliged to indulge in a glass or two!  Have compiled a quiz which combines literature with celebrities so am not sure how one or two of the more serious members will take to it as they can be very competitive and 'bookwormy'!!  Will report back.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: July 14, 2022, 08:48:39 PM »
Yep - same in Bletchley Linda :-Y  I'd kill for a decent night's sleep!

Thanks I am looking forward to it :)  I know bits of Yorkshire but have never been to Harrogate.  My sister used to live a few miles from Hull so I've been to the North Yorks Moors & Bridlington but never Whitby. I've been to York but it was many moons ago.  I know what you mean about the price of hotels :o  A good place to start, if you just want bed & breakfast, is a Premier Inn.  I think a lot of places are trying to recoup money lost during lockdown.

You could of course be really adventurous & get the Eurostar directly from St Pancras to Avignon >:D  September is a great time to visit as it should have started to cool down a bit by then.

Enjoy your book club & your chilled wine & let me know how the quiz goes.  If you think we'd enjoy it then please do share ;)

Nearly lunchtime.  Ham & cheese sarnie with, of course, our favourite condiment  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: July 14, 2022, 09:59:14 PM »
 Hi Pen,

I’ve been lying in bed watching the open at St Andrew’s on my iPad.

I thought it was just over 3 hours drive up the M1 from Bletchley to Harrogate and my preference would be always to drive.  But then I thought if you are on an organised trip the car would be sitting idle once you got there. 

We went on an organised trip around Ireland and enjoyed the commentary and the social side of meeting a lot of people but in subsequent trips decided we preferred the flexibility of doing our own organising. We acknowledged that we might have missed some things that the tours set up for you.

I am looking forward to a full report of the trip unless you get up to mischief  >:D

I will look over our old travel diaries to see what we did.  It’s so long ago that I don’t have a clear memory of the detail.

I must check up on how Cam Smith is going and then get some shut-eye. :-Z

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: July 14, 2022, 11:13:00 PM »

I’ve been lying in bed watching the open at St Andrew’s on my iPad.

I thought it was just over 3 hours drive up the M1 from Bletchley to Harrogate and my preference would be always to drive.   

We went on an organised trip around Ireland and enjoyed the commentary and the social side of meeting a lot of people but in subsequent trips decided we preferred the flexibility of doing our own organising. We acknowledged that we might have missed some things that the tours set up for you.

I am looking forward to a full report of the trip unless you get up to mischief  >:D

Hi Jack

Glad you're enjoying the golf - I think it's a fair bit cooler up there than it is here!

You're right it would only be about a 3 hour drive from Bletchley to Harrogate.  Unfortunately neither of us is brave enough to do it!  I've only driven on the M1 once & I was terrified.  My knuckles were literally white on the steering wheel :laugh:  Wish I'd started motorway driving years ago & I might feel more confident now.  Eve & I have done the 'herd you about' holidays as we call them for years.  It's good if you're abroad & there are lots of different sights to see.  It means you don't have to worry about how you're getting there :)

I will let you have a full report. Sadly I don't think there'll be too much mischief - though I'll do my best >:D  I look forward to hearing what you got up to when you've consulted your travel diary :)

I just had a quick shufty at the leaderboard & your man is tied second with Ernie Els at the moment.  Is he having a bit of a resurgence at the moment? (Ernie that is!)

I'm winding down into holiday mode now - roll on home time ;)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: July 14, 2022, 11:25:17 PM »
I hope your tour will fast track you into Bettys (no apostrophe for some unknown reason) Tearooms, Pen.  Yum, yum and triple yum.  Hellish queues though and a little on the pricey side but so delicious.

Apart from seagulls at Whitby, watch out for Goths!!  Bram Stoker has a lot to answer for!

Is there much to do in Avignon?  I am a bit of a culture vulture and need art galleries and museums to keep me happy on holiday, hence the thought of going back to Paris.  I've bought a couple of pairs of very comfortable sandals so feet might just be able to stand up to the relentless trekking around the city!  >:D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 11:29:17 PM by Linda »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: July 15, 2022, 04:56:20 AM »
Hi Linda

I'm hoping that Eve & I will find our way to Bettys :)  I visited the one in York many years ago & it was definitely triple yum :-H

Eve doesn't do very well with seagulls :laugh:  Some years ago we were holidaying in Wales & sitting on the front in Llandudno enjoying a sarnie for lunch.  A seagull flew in from behind & pinched her egg sarnie out of her hand :o  What was quite funny was that I had tuna & I'm sure it would have preferred that :laugh:  Apart from the seagulls we will definitely keep an eye out for any goths & give them a wide berth!

Avignon is lovely but you wont find as much to see there as Paris.  You can stand sur le pont of course!  There is the Palace of the Popes & a cathedral.  Also a few museums & art galleries.  Arles is nearby & has an amazing Roman amphitheatre.  The Pont du Gard is also not far but I doubt you'd get there on public transport.  We also visited Chateauneuf-du-Pape but again I doubt you'd find it easy to get to. Although the lure of the wine might be an incentive >:D  On  balance I think you should probably stick to Plan A :)

PJune

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: July 15, 2022, 01:12:52 PM »
And speaking of aggressive birds (and other wildlife).  Several years ago on Longyearbayan, an Arctic tern kept attacking me, poking holes in my head.  Apparently I was walking too close to its nest, although I was keeping on the path.
Then in Tanzania, at a lunch stop, a monkey stole my tube of sunscreen!  The guides had warned us about protecting any food - but sunscreen?
PJ

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: July 15, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »
Some of these wildlife stories remind me of:

There was a homeless guy, shabbily dressed, and a bit smelly, sitting on the train station platform, eating his fish and chips.
He was amusing himself by tossing the odd chip to the circling sea gulls.

Everybody avoided him.

A train pulled up.
Doors opened and passengers entered and left.

Just as the door started to close, he tossed a handful of chips in to the train carriage.
A dozen gulls flew in.
The door closed.

Cheers
Michael

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: July 15, 2022, 05:52:13 PM »
I look forward to hearing what you got up to when you've consulted your travel diary :)

Hi Pen,

I looked back through our 2006 and 2010 diaries when we visited Yorkshire.  A lot of it is family in-jokes and it would take a lot of editing to sort the wheat from the chaff.  But two bits of interest which can be presented with little editing are about the York Minster and the Danby Moors Centre.

2006 Danby

We called into the Moors Centre at Danby for coffee and cake and were astonished to find the car park was full and there were lots of walkers and people sitting around having lunch.  However, this was nothing to Goathland, “Aidensfield” in the TV show “Heartbeat”, which was teeming with bikies and people of all ages.  The Moors steam train was there and this also explained some of the people.  Even on what should have been isolated sections we would come across cars parked on the roadside and people just sitting in their director's chairs with a small table, sitting and eating or reading.

The Centre has an audio-visual about the Moors and the associated Coast purportedly narrated by Nell, a border collie.  The subject matter was interesting but the hardest thing was tearing ourselves away from Nell to continue the journey.  There was a coaster that took my eye “You can allus tell a Yorkshire man, but tha’ can’t tell him much”.  I thought you could probably leave York out of that and still be right.

We stopped at Whitby briefly to look at the ruined abbey.  Henry VIII certainly made a lasting impression.  We also went up Oliver’s Mount in Scarborough – this is a great lookout.

I don’t think I will take any more pictures of ruined abbeys or castles.  I hesitate to say if you have seen one you have seen them all.  But I will say if you have seen 10, the degree of originality in the 11th is fairly limited.

2010 Danby

The road we took through the moors ran along a ridge between two large valleys and it was worthwhile stopping at a lookout to see the views.  At Danby we called into the Moors Centre which has a good display.  Last time we were there D was entranced by a video featuring and narrated by Nell the sheepdog – this wasn’t being shown while we were there but as D had told A about it and was concerned that he might be disappointed, he bought him a DVD of all Nell’s films.  So far we have only seen “Nell’s View of the North” -40mins.

2006 York Minster

York Minster is a spectacular site to visit both in terms of its enormous size and its 2000-year-long history.  Why it is called a Minster and not a Cathedral is something I shall have to research.  June rates it behind Salisbury and Canterbury Cathedrals as a church in use.  I was willing to give it equal status as a CAMP, perhaps because I enjoyed our audio tour of the Undercroft so much.  The tour takes you through several chambers, explaining its history as a Roman fort, a Saxon cathedral, a Norman cathedral, and the current Minster including the restoration work needed when it was discovered in 1967 that the building would shortly collapse under its own weight.  The Undercroft archaeological digs have uncovered portions of all the previous structures including a stream that still runs apparently when it rains.  It was stagnant today but the blue algae on the sides showed how high it gets when it is running.  The building has survived 3 huge fires, the reformation, threat of collapse and a visit by Jack.  It rates.

The Chapter House is an interesting part of the Minster in its own right. In use since 1286, the Octagonal room is unusual in not having a central column to support its great vaulted roof which is spectacularly painted.  But is has one very unusual feature which was pointed out to us by a scholarly-looking gentleman who shuffled up to us while we were admiring the roof.  Around the walls are 44 seats and each seat has around it what the official program describes as a riot of funny faces, animals, and mythical beasts, around 80% are original carvings from 1270-1280 and George Peter White carved the remainder during the 1845 Beckworth Restoration.”  The program does not say that the reason the 20% had to be recarved was that there were destroyed by Henry VIII’s vandals because they had a religious significance.  The program also does not point out, as the scholarly gentleman did, that the vandals MISSED ONE.  Sure enough, among the hideous carvings is a beautiful carving of the Madonna suckling the baby Jesus.  This would be one of the very few pre-Reformation religious carvings to exist today.

2010 York Minster

In 2006, I said I must research why York Cathedral is referred to as York Minster.  I have finally done it.  A 'Minster' is different from a cathedral in that it was originally founded as a missionary church from which priests set out to convert the people of the surrounding area to Christianity.  A Cathedral is a church which is the seat of a bishop.  The brochure we were given points out that not all minsters are cathedrals and not all cathedrals are minsters but that York Minster/Cathedral is both.  A tour group came in while we were looking around the Chapter House and I eavesdropped again.  The carvings are thought to be a privilege given to the masons who built the chapter house to put their own images or that of their monkeys or whatever.  Apparently it was very common in those times for artisans to have a monkey as pet.  There was no mention of any images having to be redone.  So perhaps we had been the victim of an urban myth in 2006 but it was a good story in any case.  The Puritans did whitewash paintings and murals and smashed statues which were “Graven images” so the story had an element of logic.

2022 The Open

Foxtel is broadcasting live from 3.00 pm local time to after 6. am the following morning continuously without an ad,  So you can see why I might be a bit distracted. >:D
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: July 15, 2022, 06:10:48 PM »
I love my current home in Cumbria very much but at heart I am still and always will be a Yorkshire woman. Harrogate was my shopping destination of choice as although I'm Leeds born and bred I was never keen on the city centre in more recent times. My hubby adores Bettys but I am less keen ( He doesn't know this!). Whitby is possibly the place in Yorkshire I miss popping accross to most.Fish and chips in Whitby should be from the Magpie cafe/takeaway. Enjoy your trip Penny.

Where abouts in Leeds does your son live Linda? I was born in Middleton in south Leeds but spent most of my adult life in Horsforth and Otley.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: July 15, 2022, 06:23:57 PM »
Fish and chips in Whitby should be from the Magpie cafe/takeaway.

Indeed, but be prepared to queue down the street!

My son lives in the Burley area now but used to live in the Headingley student area!  Party central!!  >:D

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: July 15, 2022, 06:54:51 PM »
I went to school in Leeds city centre with a lot of girls from homes in those areas. I think all of them will now be student lets!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: July 15, 2022, 10:07:02 PM »
Enjoy your trip Penny.

Thanks Christine :)  It's our first holiday in three years so I'm looking forward to it.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: July 15, 2022, 10:47:44 PM »

I looked back through our 2006 and 2010 diaries when we visited Yorkshire.  A lot of it is family in-jokes and it would take a lot of editing to sort the wheat from the chaff.  But two bits of interest which can be presented with little editing are about the York Minster and the Danby Moors Centre.

2022 The Open

Foxtel is broadcasting live from 3.00 pm local time to after 6. am the following morning continuously without an ad,  So you can see why I might be a bit distracted. >:D

Hi Jack

I very much enjoyed reading your travel diaries :)  I visited York Minster with Ray about 20 years ago & am very much looking forward to a return visit.  I used to think, mistakenly,  that a minster was a cathedral but was in a town rather than a city.   I found your research very interesting & pleasing.

If you sit up all night watching the golf you'll need matchsticks tomorrow :laugh:  Can you please explain how they decide where to make the cut. I've never really understood.

I need to do a few more chores.  Leave you with this  ;D