Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823431 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8130 on: May 31, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »
Hi Pen,

We are living high on the hog today.  An omelette for breakfast and a light lunch featuring a Tomato-Basil- Ricotta slice.  The Coorparoo mob are coming over for afternoon tea and a birthday cake and for dinner the traditional favourite of the birthday girl - Weiner Schnitzel.  Maybe a sip or two of wine to wash it down.

Did I tell you about Blue’s grandson, Larry, in primary school.   The teacher asks the kids in Larry’s class: 'What do you want to be when you grow up?'

Little Larry says: 'I wanna start out as a Fighter Pilot, then be a billionaire, go to the most expensive clubs, find me the finest whore, give her a Ferrari worth over a million bucks, an apartment in Copacabana, a mansion in Paris, a jet to travel throughout Europe, an Infinite Visa Card, and all the while banging her like a loose screen door in a hurricane.'

The teacher, shocked and not knowing what to do with this horrible response from little Larry, decides not to acknowledge what he said and simply tries to continue with the lesson 'And how about you, Sarah?'

'I wanna be Larry's whore.'

I had better go and set the table.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: June 01, 2022, 12:05:40 AM »

We are living high on the hog today.  An omelette for breakfast and a light lunch featuring a Tomato-Basil- Ricotta slice.  The Coorparoo mob are coming over for afternoon tea and a birthday cake and for dinner the traditional favourite of the birthday girl - Weiner Schnitzel.  Maybe a sip or two of wine to wash it down.

Hi Jack

It sounds like you had a rather splendid day & some very scrummy grub.  I love Weiner Schnitzel but haven't had it since one of German holidays many moons ago.  Only a sip or two of wine? >:D

I'm enjoying a lazy day :)  It's been pouring with rain again.  That lovely warm weather we had a while back seems a distant memory now. 

My puzzle for you today is a book that was made into a film.  I think you'll find it far too easy ;)
5 5 8 2 3 7 4 4

THE

Please lose the first letter of picture four & change the first letter of picture seven. & pretend it's all on one line

You'd never guess it's June tomorrow.  We've got thunder, lightning & great big hailstones :o

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:07:28 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: June 01, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: June 01, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »
Hi Pen,

Back to bread and dripping today.

It sounds like our weather and temperatures are very similar, but you are starting summer whereas we are looking winter in the face. One of my friends from Bowral has been telling me how miserable it is down there.  We are getting acclimatised here and so are finding it is colder than we would like.  The long term locals here are going around in jumpers and jackets whereas Andrew is going around in shorts and T-shirt and commenting on how mild it is here.

When they were courting, Sheila invited Blue to her house to play a game of Monopoly.

She says “Stay here, I have to do laundry really quickly.

Out of nowhere, Roota, her sexy sister comes in and sits by him.

Roota asks “Do you want to have sex before she gets back?”

Blue got up without a word and went straight to his car.

Sheila was outside the door and hugged him, and said “I knew I could trust you.”

Moral of the story: Always leave your condoms in the car.

When Sheila was at school, the Headmistress was lecturing the class on Sexual morality...... “In moments of temptation,” she said to the class, “ask yourself just one question: Is an hour of pleasure worth a lifetime of shame?

She almost swallowed her false teeth  when Sheila got up and asked “How do you make it last an hour?

Today’s rebus asks you to use discretion

#4  #4  #5  6 #5

You is not needed where you insert an apostrophe.  Look for homophones even in the clues. Position is part of the answer. Conceptually one line for those with small screens

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: June 02, 2022, 05:11:44 AM »

Back to bread and dripping today.

The long term locals here are going around in jumpers and jackets whereas Andrew is going around in shorts and T-shirt and commenting on how mild it is here.

Hi Jack

I've had a busy day so I'm just flying in & out this evening!

You can't expect to feast like a king every day :laugh: 

As you know I'm not terribly good at hot weather so I'd probably be in Andrew's camp with a T shirt (no shorts - haven't got the legs for them >:D) rather than jumpers & jackets!

A great rebus & very funny jokes & cartoons :laugh:

My week off is whizzing by far too quickly :(

Off to find some toot telly.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: June 02, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue gave me some Paraprosdokians for you to enjoy!  These are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous.  I told him I had already used some of them in December 2019.   He said, “ they won’t remember, so use them”.  So here goes.

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
    2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you ... but it's still on my list.
    3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
    5. We never really grow up - we only learn how to act in public.
    6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
    7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
    9. I didn't say it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.
    10. In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of emergency, notify... " I answered 'a doctor'."
    11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
    12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
    13. I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
    14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
    15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
    16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
    17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Audible sent me an email with some novel suggestions.  It was the biography of an author that took my eye.  She grew up wild and barefoot in her mother's tropical garden in Northern Australia. When she was nine years old, her family lived in a camper van for two years in North America, travelling from one national park to another, an experience that sparked Holly's lifelong interest in cultures and stories. In her twenties, she worked for four years in a remote Indigenous community in the central Australian desert.  She moved to England in 2009 and obtained her MA in Creative Writing from the University of Manchester in 2011. She now lives between the UK and Australia.

The novel published in 2019 is 3 #4 #7 2 #5 #4

One homophone. Conceptually one line.

The     of     

« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:19:41 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: June 03, 2022, 02:37:50 AM »

Blue gave me some Paraprosdokians for you to enjoy! 

Hi Jack

A quick post while I wait for my pizza to cook.  Please tell Blue I enjoyed the Paraprosdokians  :)  Number 13 was written just for me ;D

Bletchley Park had a fly past earlier on this afternoon.  It was a Lancaster & I heard it coming long before it arrived. It flew very low & the noise was incredible.  Totally amazing - made all the hairs on my arms stand on end.  My neighbour & I gave them a salute :laugh:

I have an answer for your rebus but not sure it's correct.  I'll wait for your spoiler  :)

Don't want burnt grub so I'm off but I'll be back with a rebus tomorrow ;)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: June 03, 2022, 07:16:58 AM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: June 03, 2022, 05:45:17 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue claims there are colours only he can see.  I told him they are just pigments of his imagination.

Blue went to the pub the other day and asked the barman if he was cold. He said, 'Of course! There's always a draught in here.

Petrol is so dear at the moment, Blue ended up putting vodka in his lawnmower. Now his grass is half cut.'

Today, the rebus is an idiom that describes a situation you would rather not be in.

#6  7  3  #6  3   3   #8( 4  4)   #3

The position is everything;  Homophones are present; Conjunction is not pictured

The

the   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 05:47:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #8139 on: June 03, 2022, 06:09:48 PM »

#6  7  3  #6  3   3   #8( 4  4)   #3

The position is everything;  Homophones are present; Conjunction is not pictured

I think this should actually be:

#6  7  3  #5 3   3   #8( 4  4)   #3
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: June 03, 2022, 10:22:47 PM »
I disagree. Homophonies sound the same but may be spelt differently and do not necessarily have the same number of letters.

A homophone (/ˈhɒməfoʊn, ˈhoʊmə-/) is a word that is pronounced the same (to varying extent) as another word but differs in meaning. A homophone may also differ in spelling. The two words may be spelled the same, for example rose (flower) and rose (past tense of "rise"), or spelled differently, as in rain, reign, and rein.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 10:29:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: June 03, 2022, 11:28:48 PM »
Hi Jack

It's a warm one here today.  I've been walking with Barbs & I intend to enjoy a lazy afternoon before Zoe arrives.

I very much enjoyed your clever rebus :)  It brought to mind another expression which I'm very fond of!

6 7 1 4 3 1 4 5

A
Please change the first letter of the third picture.  The position is important.

I have a nasty suspicion the first two wont stick & may disappear :(

The new associate pastor, nervous about hearing confessions asks an older priest to listen in. Several penitents later, his mentor offers a few suggestions. “Cross your arms over your chest and rub your chin with one hand,” he says. “Try saying things like, ‘I see, yes, go on. I understand. How did you feel about that? ”The new priest tries out the words and gestures. The old priest says, “Good, now, don’t you think that's a little better than slapping your knee and saying, ‘No way! You did what?'

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: June 04, 2022, 01:48:05 AM »
Hi Pen,

A very clever and tricky rebus. You might give a little more help to the solvers by adding to the instructions - one of the two indefinite articles and a conjunction not pictured.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:59:07 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: June 04, 2022, 02:46:16 AM »
Thanks Jack  :) That makes perfect sense & is helpful. I should have thought of it :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 04:30:20 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: June 05, 2022, 08:48:40 PM »
Hi Jack

Greetings from a very chilly, damp & dismal Bletchley!  Suits my mood as I'm not much looking forward to work tomorrow :(  Can't believe how quickly the week's gone.

My easy rebus today is a novel published in the 1950's.  A book that Zoe very much enjoyed.

3 3 3 3 3 3

THETHE
Please lose the first letter of the first picture.  You need the first name of the actor & change the first letter.  Please change the last letter of the last picture & pretend it's all on one line.

This tickled me :laugh:  Don't know if it'll stick.
Paddington

I'd better stop slacking & finish all my chores!  Leave you with this.  I'm off to Trent Bridge on Friday - hope it cheers up by then.  Mind you this weather matches England's abysmal batting performance :(