Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820383 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #7635 on: January 26, 2022, 11:09:43 PM »

Today is Australia Day.

The spoiler alert tomorrow morning will have a little surprise in it for you.

to Jack & all brilliant my Aussie friends :)  (sorry should that be mates? >:D)

I see you're teasing me again  :laugh:

I've had a very busy morning & off to lunch in a minute.  I hope to get back this afternoon with a proper post :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: January 27, 2022, 01:34:44 AM »
I'm back Jack

My rebus is a film from the 1990's which I love.

8 (#6 + #2) 8 (#4 + #4)

Please use the surname of the actor in the second picture & change the first letter of the third picture.  You can pick any of the nine options in the last picture.

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, French scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 200 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 150 years ago.
Not to be outdone by the French: in the weeks that followed, American archaeologists dug to a depth of 20 feet before finding traces of copper wire. Shortly afterwards, they published an article in the New York Times saying : "American archaeologists, having found traces of 250-year-old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network 50 years earlier than the French."
A few weeks later, ‘The British Archaeological Society of Northern England’ reported the following: "After digging down to a depth of 33 feet in the Skipton area of North Yorkshire in 2011, Charlie Hardcastle, a self-taught amateur archaeologist, reported that he had found absolutely f&*% all. Charlie has therefore concluded that 250 years ago, Britain had already gone wireless."

Leave you with a silly joke & this...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: January 27, 2022, 05:02:19 AM »
Hi Penny
Loved the Yorkshire story. I can hear some of my late relatives proclaiming this too!!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:19 AM »
Yes mine too Christine :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: January 27, 2022, 07:18:57 AM »
Spoiler Alert(s)

My Rebus

Pen’s Rebus
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: January 27, 2022, 01:18:57 PM »
Hi Pen,

I will give you an easy-peasy rebus: a novel published this year and the ninth in a series.  LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

#7(3  4)  7   3   #7

The

I’ll leave you with a thought:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:50:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: January 27, 2022, 10:42:41 PM »
The spoiler alert tomorrow morning will have a little surprise in it for you.

Hi Jack

And what a brilliant surprise it was too :)  I will be investigating the book & Alan's Dad at the weekend. 
The son is Alan Walker, our Alan W, who we all owe so much to for the Chihuahua game and forum.
Beautifully put Jack.  I couldn't copy & paste so I just retyped it.

My rebus is a poem which I have a feeling I've used before.  If I have then can I please apologise in advance!
#3 #6 #3 #3 #9

THETHE

A new soldier was on sentry duty at the main gate. His orders were clear - no car was to enter unless it had a special sticker on the windscreen. A big Army car came up with a general seated in the back. The sentry said, "Halt, who goes there?"
The chauffeur, a corporal, says, "General Wheeler."
"I'm sorry, I can't let you through. You've got to have a sticker on the windscreen."
The general said, "Drive on!"
The sentry said, "Hold it! You really can't come through. I have orders to shoot if you try driving in without a sticker."
The general repeated, "I'm telling you, son, drive on!"
The sentry walked up to the rear window and said, "General, I'm new at this. Do I shoot you or the driver?"

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7642 on: January 27, 2022, 11:57:58 PM »
OK, here's a good one for you

Song from a 1971 album by an American fab four…
#5 7 3 #4
The definite article is not pictured; homophones abound; location, location, location

By

#6 , #6, #4 #3 #5
You want the surname of the fellow in image 1; homophones abound...

, ,

The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: January 28, 2022, 07:04:00 AM »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7644 on: January 28, 2022, 12:42:29 PM »
Great rebus Jack!!!

Two former Tourists came to Australia in 1980 and formed a band in Wagga Wagga. This song is from their 1986 album...

#5 2 #2 #4
Location, location, location; image 1 – lose the pirate speak  ;) ;) ;)

The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: January 28, 2022, 07:33:06 PM »
Hi Pen,

I used a new (I think I have used it once before) convention for word numbering in my last rebus which John had not come across before. I used #7(3  4) to means the picture yields two words aaa bbbb.  The space between the words is not counted

I would use 7(#3 #4) to mean two pictures yield a 7-letter word.  The first picture would spell or sound like the first three letters of the word and the second picture would spell or sound like the last 4 letters.  If the numbers do not add up it means that there is an overlap (or I have made a mistake) :D

I use the # to mean that the numbers are associated with a picture.  The number of #s should be the same as the number of pictures. 

If a number is used without a # it means the word should be able to be guessed e.g., the word is spelt out, it is a definite or indefinite article that is declared not to be pictured, or it is a location preposition.  In this last case, John uses “Location Location Location” to alert the solver and I intend to adopt that convention in future.

Clear as mud?  Probably.

Today’s rebus is the eleventh in another detective series set in the 1920s but published recently.

3   6(#4  #2)   2  3   #5

Location Location Location

The The  
Picture 1  Ditch the "s"
Picture 2.  Not looking for a nickname this time.

Leave you with this:

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7646 on: January 28, 2022, 08:58:44 PM »
Two former Tourists came to Australia in 1980 and formed a band in Wagga Wagga. This song is from their 1986 album...

Fun fact: Wagga Wagga is a major regional city in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia. Whilst Wagga Wagga has a double-barrelled name, the locals know you're an outsider if you refer to it as anything other than just Wagga... Go figure!!!

Take a good look at this man's mug shot below then read the paragraph above it. 

A man was walking down the street when he was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man (see above) who asked him for a couple of dollars for dinner. The man took out his wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked, 'If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?' No, I had to stop drinking years ago, 'the homeless man replied. 'Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?' the man asked.' No, I don't waste time fishing, 'the homeless man said. 'I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive.' 'Will you spend this on greens fees at a golf course instead of food?' the man asked.  'Are you NUTS!' replied the homeless man. 'I haven't played golf in 20 years!' 'Will you spend the money on a woman in the red light district instead of food?' the man asked.' What disease would I get for ten lousy bucks?' exclaimed the homeless man. 'Well, 'said the man, 'I'm not going to give you the money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a terrific dinner cooked by my wife.' The homeless man was astounded.' Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that? I know I'm dirty, and I probably smell pretty disgusting.' The man replied, 'That's okay. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up beer, fishing, golf, and women.'

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: January 28, 2022, 10:13:51 PM »
I finished "No Sunlight Singing" this afternoon. A good read that I won't hesitate to recommend to others. Thanks Jack for bringing it to my attention, and thanks also to Alan for making/allowing his father's work to be so readily available.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: January 29, 2022, 12:50:59 AM »

Clear as mud?  Probably.

Hi Jack

I followed what you meant - I think :laugh:

A cracking rebus today :)  I looked at it first thing before I went out to the dentist & to do a bit of shopping.  I got a bit sidetracked by the last picture & was stumped! I've sussed it now :)

My rebus is a book that was published about 15 years ago & made into a film about 4 years later.

#6 #7 #2 #3 5 (#2 + #3)

THE
Please lose the first letter of the third picture.  Location location location!!

Barry Cryer passed away yesterday.  Here's a couple of his jokes.

Picasso was burgled and did a drawing of the robbers.
Police arrested a horse and two sardines.

A man drives down a country lane and accidentally runs over a cockerel.
He goes to the farmhouse and knocks on the door.
A woman opens the door and the man says: "I'm sorry I ​appear to have killed your cockerel.  I'd like to replace him."
The woman replies: "Please yourself, the hens are round the back."

A man and his wife are out walking one day when they spot a lone fellow on the other side of the road.
"That looks like the Archbishop of Canterbury over there" says the woman "Go and see if it is."
The husband crosses the road and asks the man if he is indeed the Archbishop of Canterbury. 
"F*** Off" says the man.
The man crosses back to his wife who asks "What did he say?  Is he the Archbishop of Canterbury?"
"He told me to f*** off!" says the husband.  "Oh no!" replies his wife.  "Now we'll never know!"

Sun's just come out so I'm going to risk a walk. 

The Queen can move wherever she pleases but the bishop's going to have to move diagonally for this conversation!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: January 29, 2022, 07:16:42 AM »
Regards, Jack