Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814579 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #7260 on: December 02, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue’s neighbour was a bit religious.  He was complaining to Blue about the decline in morals in the modern world.

"I didn't sleep with my wife before I was married," he said self-righteously, "Did you?"

"I don't know," said Blue. "What was her maiden name?"

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 01:50:45 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: December 03, 2021, 06:35:19 AM »
Hi Jack

I've had a very busy but mostly enjoyable day.  I decided I had to defrost my freezer as it had developed a large iceberg & it was becoming harder & harder to open the top drawer.  Bit of a nightmare - ended up using my hairdryer but got there in the end!  I'd like to get a new frost free one but it's what I do with all the food in it while I swap them over.  Apparently you have to run a new freezer for about 10/12 hours before you can use it.  Perhaps I should try eating all the food in it so it's empty :laugh:

My internet decided to give up the ghost halfway through the afternoon which was a nuisance.  It was only for a couple of hours thankfully. 

Anyway, I'm going to search for a few words & then flop in my comfy chair in front of the box :-Y

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: December 03, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
Hoping this will help with Jack’s rebus block. My phone doesn’t like adding pictures, so words and emoticons it is!
1st word: Greek c - lose the first 3 letters
2nd word: 🏃‍♀️👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7263 on: December 03, 2021, 12:29:17 PM »
I decided I had to defrost my freezer as it had developed a large iceberg & it was becoming harder & harder to open the top drawer.  Bit of a nightmare - ended up using my hairdryer but got there in the end!  I'd like to get a new frost free one but it's what I do with all the food in it while I swap them over.  Apparently you have to run a new freezer for about 10/12 hours before you can use it.  Perhaps I should try eating all the food in it so it's empty :laugh:

Hey Pen,
You could always get your new fridge/freezer, plug it in and let it get down to temperature then transfer the contents over. You could then remove the current fridge from its handy location in the kitchen and replace it with the new improved version! ...or, you could unplug the old fridge and move it with the food in it to another location and plug it in there. Place the new fridge in its proper place in the kitchen; plug it in and let it get down to temperature and then transfer the contents between fridges. Then decommission the old fridge.

On another note: if your fridge is more than 10-15 years old, you will probably find that the efficiency has improved markedly so replacing it will save on energy costs as well as avoiding those defrosting problems. Fridges work best when they are full so it is best to buy a fridge that is only a smidge bigger than you actually need. Nice benefit of this is that the larger a fridge is the more it costs to run and the more it costs upfront to buy so by buying the right size saves money all round...

I hope this helps - energy efficiency may not be as sexy as solar panels but it can help address climate change with a better payback time!
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: December 03, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »
Hi Madeleine,

I can’t come up with an answer.  I need a clue or two or a hint from someone who has solved it.  A count of letters would assist. I am assuming the first word has 2 letters.   I have tried 3,5 and 7 for the first emoji and 4 and 6 for the second emoji but haven’t put anything sensible together.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: December 03, 2021, 11:11:57 PM »
Hi Pen,
We got our exercises to do at home on at least 4 days a week from exercise physiologist by email today and I am  exhausted just thinking about them.  I have about 70 kg of weights to set up dumbbells with appropriate weights to do each exercise with.

John had some good advice on the freezer.  With the weather you have been having,I thought leaving the food out in the open overnight would have been as good as having a freezer.

I asked Blue, "Even after 55 years you still call your wife 'Darling', 'Honey', 'Love'. What's the secret?"
Blue replied, "I forgot her name 10 years ago and am too scared to ask her."

As Blue looked at his naked body in the mirror......he realised he was going to get kicked out of IKEA.

I couldn't find any mistletoe, so this is the next best thing

My first thought on solving Madeleine’s puzzle

10( #2  #5  #3)

Picture 1.  Ditch the first letter

Picture 2. They have just been sworn in to chase the “baddie”

I’ll leave you with this thought, “Menelaus went to hell and back to get Helen back”.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:13:38 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: December 04, 2021, 02:43:17 AM »
We got our exercises to do at home on at least 4 days a week from exercise physiologist by email today and I am  exhausted just thinking about them.  I have about 70 kg of weights to set up dumbbells with appropriate weights to do each exercise with.

John had some good advice on the freezer.  With the weather you have been having,I thought leaving the food out in the open overnight would have been as good as having a freezer.

Hi Jack

Not so cold & frosty here today.  My car said a very tropical 8oc earlier when I went to visit Barbs.  We did go for a walk but it wasn't very pleasant - damp, grey & dreary.  It's only 2pm & I'm soon going to have to switch a light on :(

John's advice (thanks John :)) was very good but, unfortunately, my house is quite small & I don't have anywhere to plonk a spare freezer.  Even for a few hours.  When I emptied the freezer yesterday I put all the food in a bin bag & lobbed it out in the back garden.  It was still perfectly frozen an hour & a half later ;D

Your post tickled me - I do love Blue :-*  Your rebus had me stumped for a while because I thought picture one was a chip :-R  I was fixated on that until somebody, who shall remain nameless, put me right :laugh:

I was a bit stumped for a rebus today.  I found this expression by accident & it tickled me. It says it's an "Australian expression from the 1930's"  I'm sure you can verify whether that's true or not.
#4 #3 #4 #1 #6 #8

A
The first picture is 2 words & you need the first.  I would call them hair straighteners but Ms Google told me otherwise. I could make it really easy & say it's the type of horse race that's the opposite of this

I felt exhausted just reading about your exercise regime - let alone actually participating! I couldn't find anything especially funny to do with lifting weights so this'll have to do ;D

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: December 04, 2021, 05:36:02 AM »
Hi Madeleine,

I can’t come up with an answer.  I need a clue or two or a hint from someone who has solved it.  A count of letters would assist. I am assuming the first word has 2 letters.   I have tried 3,5 and 7 for the first emoji and 4 and 6 for the second emoji but haven’t put anything sensible together.

Sorry Jack, I thought I needed to be more cryptic because I wasn’t using photos. I can see that’s flawed!

It’s connected to your ‘rebus block.’ You’re looking for a writer.
 3 6 (3,3). The first clue is how things sound rather than how they’re spelt.  I hope that makes sense - not up to speed with the etiquette!

Those Blue stories are hilarious and Pen, the robot cartoon especially tickled me!

Thanks you two for brightening my days.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: December 04, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
It tickled me too Madeleine.  Hope my second cartoon didn't offend anybody's sensibilities - it just made me chuckle ;D
I love Blue, as I've said many times before!  In my head he's a real person :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: December 04, 2021, 12:32:18 PM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: December 04, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »
I hope that makes sense - not up to speed with the etiquette!

Hi Madeleine,

That was a great Rebus and the author you picked was one of my favourites. I have read every one of his books.

There is no set etiquette.  Each contributor, and I wish there were more of them, sets their own rules and conventions.

If it would be helpful, I will give you some that I try to follow.  Sometimes something different pops up that I have not thought of and I add a new one.

I try to give a context or subject but generally not in such specific detail that you can get the answer without looking at the pictures although I am sure Mike used to solve my attempts at literary rebuses from my descriptions.

Most pictures can lead to many interpretations and so I try to limit people following unnecessary red herrings by giving a word and letter count.  If a number is preceded by a #, it means the solution is in the picture.  If it is not, it means you need to figure out the implied word which is generally of three types:
    1.  A definite (“the”) or indefinite (“a”) article which you are warned is not pictured;
    2. a literal set of words or letters which it is too hard to picture, or I am too lazy to do so for a particular puzzle, and which are typed in between the pictures e.g. “and”;
    3.  A word which describes the position of the pictures e.g.  “in”. “above”, “below”.  A good indicator of “in” is when the pictures are in a different order to the word count.  You have probably noticed I love positional rebuses.

I am eagerly awaiting your next rebus.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 02:12:13 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: December 04, 2021, 11:05:49 PM »
I found this expression by accident & it tickled me. It says it's an "Australian expression from the 1930's"  I'm sure you can verify whether that's true or not.

Fair suck of the sauce bottle, Pen, I know I am bloody ancient but the 1930s were even before my time.  Seriously,  though it survived well into the 50’s and 60’s and probably beyond.

This is the last time I can remember using it

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow.  Unless something comes up, I can have a restful day. Last week, and this week so far, I’ve been flat out like a lizard drinking.

You remember some time ago we had a series of posts about limericks.  Today I came across one that I thought might amuse you.

There once was a pirate named Bates
who did a fandango on skates,
he slipped on his cutlass
and now he is nutless
and bloody useless on dates!

Blue reckons the worst hotel he ever stayed in was one called The Fiddle.  It was a vile inn.

Blue asked me what IDK means! I told him, “I Don't Know!”. He said he’d asked several people and nobody seemed to know!

I am fighting sleep, so a quick straight-forward rebus tonight.  A fictional Saxon knight from a book published in the first quarter of the nineteenth century.

7(#1 #3  #3)

I’ll leave you with this that probably should have been in another thread where swede is the subject of discussion.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:10:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: December 05, 2021, 03:23:15 AM »
This is the last time I can remember using it.

I’m really looking forward to tomorrow.  Unless something comes up, I can have a restful day. Last week, and this week so far, I’ve been flat out like a lizard drinking.

Hi Jack

Greetings from a very cold & windy Bletchley.  At least the sun's shining.  We've just been for a walk & all our extremities & the tops of our heads are frozen :(  Nothing a nice cuppa wont sort!

Your brilliant memory never ceases to amaze me :)  I think we inherit a lot of these expressions from our parents & grandparents.  One of my favourites is "It's black over Will's Mother's" When I looked it up it dates back to the 19th century! I think I've used it as a rebus in the dim & distant past!

Anyway your post was a cracker :)  The limerick made me laugh out loud.

My rebus is the father of a famous knight.

#5 9 (#3 + #6)

You need the surname of the character in picture one & then please lose the first letter.

I couldn't find a limerick anywhere near as funny as yours but here's my offering ;D
There once was a vicar from Kew
who preached with his vestments askew,
A woman named Morgan
caught sight of his organ,
and promptly passed out in her pew!

Pizza tonight :-H

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: December 05, 2021, 03:51:39 AM »

What is the minimum age to get this?  ;D

(not before my time)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile