Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814248 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6990 on: October 12, 2021, 07:47:13 PM »

The rain must have been light because although it rained all night we only got 28 mm. which is just over an inch.  It was, however, as much as we had got in the previous 2 months.

Hi Jack

If you don't get much rain then I expect even an inch is welcome.  Do you have water butts there?  or is it not worth it with so little rainfall?

I'm pleased to report that I entered the car park with the minimum of fuss this morning ;D

My rebus is also a book - the third in a historical trilogy.

#3 #6 #3 #3 #5

Pictures one & four you only need the last three letters please.  You're not interested in the family - just what they're doing!  Picture two is singular please.

Getting busy again!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: October 13, 2021, 12:00:09 AM »
Hi Pen,

Brisbane is not so far from the tropics that we don’t have a wet season and a dry season.  Dry season. The tropical rain belt lies in the southern hemisphere roughly from October to March; during that time the northern tropics have a dry season with sparser precipitation, and days are typically sunny throughout. From April to September, the rain belt lies in the northern hemisphere, and the southern tropics have their dry season.

Brisbane averages 16 inches in the dry season and 32 inches in the wet.

I assume a water butt is a water tank.  Many houses have those to supplement the Metropolitan water supply.  The water tanks are essential for those who don’t have a town water supply.  In the outback, a major source of water is from artesian bores

These are Blue’s latest dad jokes:
  • What did the truckload of female sheep say to the ghost? "We're a freight of ewe!"
  • Before the crow bar was invented, the crows had to drink at home
  • Everyone told Sam not to sing, but Samsung anyway
  • How do you tell the sex of an ant?  Drop it in water: If it sinks – Girl ant; If it floats -
  • Where do bad rainbows go?  Prism, it’s a light sentence.

My rebus is a novel published in the 1990s and set in the 1970s.

7(#2 #5) #3 2  8(#4 #4)

Conceptually one line but picture order is deliberate

Picture 3 - replace the middle letter with "h"

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:22:42 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: October 13, 2021, 01:59:56 AM »
Brisbane averages 16 inches in the dry season and 32 inches in the wet.

I assume a water butt is a water tank.  Many houses have those to supplement the Metropolitan water supply.  In the outback, a major source of water is from artesian bores

That's right Jack.  The water butt is filled from a downpipe fed off the guttering.  It's useful for watering the garden in the summer.  Although if we have a long dry spell it can soon empty.  I think we get an average of about 2 inches of rain a month.  It's spread fairly evenly across the year. 

I sussed your early morning rebus but I'm stumped by your recent one at the moment.  I'll return to it later on this evening when I'm fed & watered :)

Nearly home time :-C

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: October 13, 2021, 03:14:09 AM »
Hi Again Pen,

I just opened my last post on my iPad and the 3rd picture (2nd bit of the first word) is missing.  I checked again on my laptop and it is fine.  I have replaced Picture 3 with an entirely new picture and added an instruction so the rebus should now be solvable by iPad users.

I think I have four spoiler alerts to do when I wake up later.  >:D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:09:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:41 AM »
I think I have the last one Jack - fingers crossed :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: October 13, 2021, 01:03:11 PM »
Hi Pen,

It is Paul Simon’s 80th Birthday today.  Just thought you would like to know that.

These are Blue’s latest dad jokes:
  • Bread is like the sun.  It rises in the yeast and sets in the waist.
  • In the corn maze, I felt I was being stalked.  It was earie
  • Cow farts come from the dairy air.

I wonder if we could ask the birthday boy to sing this for us?

#6   4   8(#4  #4  #2)   #5

Picture 2.  If you don’t know what it is, ask a homebrewer.
Picture 4.  Not the man

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:26:29 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: October 13, 2021, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi Jack

Think I'm in for another busy morning.  It's not too bad at the moment - the lull before the storm! 

I loved your cartoons - especially the second & third one :laugh:  They really tickled me!

My simple little rebus is an album by the birthday boy :)
9 (#5 + #4)

It's getting busy & very noisy so I shall love you & leave you!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: October 14, 2021, 09:45:03 AM »
Hi Pen,

47 mm rain (a spit under 2 inches) overnight.  A little Donner and Blitzen but not enough to drive you to the room under the stairs.  I think the wet and storm season has begun.

Blue used to say, as one door closes another one opens. Wonderful man. Lousy cabinet maker.

Weight loss pills were stolen last night. Police said the suspects are still at large.  Blue was worried they would scale down the search.

Blue thinks people that are so obsessed with pumpkin-this and pumpkin-that are out of their gourds.

Blue told me some sea birds discovered a marijuana stash on the beach. Curious, they gobbled it up. Lifeguards are investigating. So far they’ve found no tern unstoned.

I’ll try to think of a challenging rebus later but this is a sitter to go on with – a 1980s fantasy comedy movie.

11(#6   #5)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:47:22 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: October 14, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
Hi Pen,
I didn’t come up with anything really challenging but this may keep you thinking for a couple of minutes.  An idiom about unfairly targeting someone's weakness or vulnerability.

#7  5  3  #4

Definite article not pictured

Top Picture.  Three words.  For the rebus, ditch the first two words: a man’s surname. Make the third-word singular. Zoe will eat this one.

Bottom Picture.  Ditch the first letter.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: October 14, 2021, 11:17:55 PM »

I didn’t come up with anything really challenging but this may keep you thinking for a couple of minutes.  An idiom about unfairly targeting someone's weakness or vulnerability.

Hi Jack

Having another very busy day. Very glad it's Friday tomorrow :)  I've sorted out your earlier rebus but have stared at the last one for two minutes & am a bit stumped :laugh:

Here's a quick & simple little rebus.  It's a film from the 1980's.

12 (#5 + #7)

Character on the right on the second picture.

Leave you with a small random assortment. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: October 16, 2021, 03:12:21 AM »
Hi Jack

I've had a busy but enjoyable day today & am out for dinner this evening with my work friends. Very much looking forward to it :) Thought I'd pop in & do a quick post while I was enjoying a nice cuppa.

A simple rebus which is a film from 2005.  Two of my favourite characters :)

#3 #5 #2 #3 #4 #6
THETHE
Please lose the last letter of the second picture & change the first letter of the third picture.
Hope I haven't used it before - apologies if I have.

There was a young Scottish boy called Angus who decided to try life in Australia. He found an apartment in Brisbane and settled in.
After a week or two, his mother called from Aberdeen to see how her son was doing in his new life.
'I'm fine, ' Angus said. 'But there are some really strange people living in these flats. One woman cries all day long, another lies on her floor moaning, and there is a guy next door to me who bangs his head on the wall all the time.'
'Well, ma laddie,' says his mother, 'I suggest you don't associate with people like that.'
'Oh,' says Angus, 'I don't, Maw, I don't. No, I just stay inside my apartment all day and night, playing my bagpipes.'

I'd better go & ransack my wardrobe & see if I can find something presentable to wear this evening :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:14:17 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: October 16, 2021, 04:52:32 AM »
A simple rebus which is a film from 2005.  Two of my favourite characters :)

Hi Pen,
Your rebus will make a NZ forumite happy.  She is an obvious fan of your characters.

I hope you had a great dinner.

I’ll try to think of a challenging rebus later but now I need some sleep.  I’ll leave you with this caution:

Regards, Jack