Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 822374 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6720 on: August 20, 2021, 04:33:38 AM »
I got the first bit of your really sneaky rebus but the last bit eluded me.  When I looked at the answer & looked at it again I kicked myself :-R
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: August 20, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
A two-part rebus today.
First, a very popular twentieth century English writer, mainly of war and adventure stories. He died in 1998
Secondly, one of his most famous books. It was published in 1952 and became a very successful 1957 film starring Dirk Bogarde,

1, two words - 7/5
picture 2 - cut the final letter

2, two words - 9/7, insert an apostrophe at the appropriate point
picture 4 - cut the final letter
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:35:29 AM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: August 20, 2021, 10:09:42 AM »
Hi Mike,

A cleverly crafted Rebus.  I must try to get a copy of the movie to watch.  Obviously a great story and with stars from the Doctor series, the Carry On series and Dad's Army it should be a cracker.  I was an enthusiastic fan of the big bearded pompous authority figure who was an interesting man apart from his acting career.  I will do a note on him in the write up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 10:12:08 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: August 20, 2021, 10:49:31 AM »
I was an enthusiastic fan of the big bearded pompous authority figure who was an interesting man apart from his acting career. 

Yes; he played the same part in every film he ever made, but he did it superbly.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: August 20, 2021, 05:30:25 PM »
My post today is like me - short & a bit below par >:D

Hi Pen,

I can't do anything about you being short but I hope I can lift your spirits a bit.

Blue told me his mate had cultivated a love of farming.  He was out standing in his field when he was run over by a farm implement!  It was a harrowing experience but he kept plowing ahead.  I told him that story might grow on you if you could pick the corn out of it.

I was tempted to make my rebus another book by the same author I used yesterday, “If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits? “ but when I thought of the work involved, I decided to go for something very simple.   It is a British war film made seven years after the end of the Second World War.  It is based on the best-selling novel of the same name by a former naval officer, though the screenplay omits some of the novel's grimmest moments.

#3  #5  #3

The trick is to discard the last two letters in each picture.

Picture 1.  Calculate the cube root of 512.  Count that many letters from the left
Picture 2.  The woman not the dogs.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:18:41 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: August 20, 2021, 11:44:50 PM »
I can't do anything about you being short but I hope I can lift your spirits a bit.

Hi Jack

You've lifted my spirits loads :) - not just a bit.  I loved your post - it made me laugh out loud :-*  Blue always cheers me up ;)

I've got Mike's author but not the book title as yet & I think I've cracked your film :) 

I'm waiting for a smashing gent, Graham, to help get my garden under control.  It's looking like a jungle at the minute.  I did think that perhaps astroturf & concrete might be the way to go >:D  Sadly I don't have even one green finger & I've let it get completely out of control.

My rebus is a children's book by a prolific author.  Her books were a must have during my childhood :)

#4 #2 #2 9 (#5 + #4) #4

GO
Please assume it's all on one line & lose the last letter of picture two.  Picture four is how you & I would refer to him & not the US version.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:46:59 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: August 21, 2021, 09:34:10 AM »
Published in 1934, this was the last major novel by one of America's great twentieth century authors.
A 1962 movie of the novel starred Jason Robards and Joan Fontaine

four words - 6/2/3/5

picture 3 - middle letters only

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: August 21, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »
I'm waiting for a smashing gent, Graham, to help get my garden under control.
My rebus is a children's book by a prolific author.  Her books were a must have during my childhood :)

Hi Pen,

It’s lucky I haven’t got a curious bone in my body, Pen. 

Did you know that your author had some of her books banned from libraries in Australia? The reason given was that “Noddy walked down a country lane and felt a little queer."

Yesterday, two women were playing golf on the Redland Bay links. One teed off and watched in horror as her ball headed directly toward Blue’s foursome playing the adjacent hole. The ball hit Blue.

He immediately clasped his hands together at his groin, fell to the ground and proceeded to roll around in agony. The woman rushed down to Blue, and immediately began to apologize. “Please allow me to help. I’m a Physical Therapist and I know I could relieve your pain if you’d allow me.” she told him. “Oh, no, I’ll be all right. I’ll be fine in a few minutes,” Blue replied.

He was in obvious agony, lying in the foetal position, still clasping his hands at his groin. At her persistence, however, he finally allowed her to help. She gently took his hands away and laid them to the side, loosened his pants and put her hands inside.

She administered tender and artful massage for several long moments and asked, “How does that feel?” Blue replied, “It feels great, but I still think my thumb’s broken."

I enjoyed each of the twenty novels about a laid-back Roman ‘informer’ {Private Investigator in modern parlance} who investigates crimes and acts as an often reluctant imperial agent. He narrates his adventures in the first person. In the course of the series set in 69-77 AD, he acquires a wife, children and dog, plus friends and antagonists.  I picked the twelfth in the series for today’s rebus because the pictures can be presented in a different order to the words in the title.  It was published at the turn of the century.

1  #4  2  3  #4   #5

One definite and one indefinite article are not pictured.

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #6729 on: August 21, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »
I'm waiting for a smashing gent, Graham, to help get my garden under control.  It's looking like a jungle at the minute.  I did think that perhaps astroturf & concrete might be the way to go >:D  Sadly I don't have even one green finger & I've let it get completely out of control.

Pen, may I try to talk you out of astroturf & concrete - they both get horribly hot and adds to the urban heat island effect. Most of them are also impervious to water which adds to the burden on our stormwater drains by increasing runoff. As climate impacts kick in, we'll see less rainfall (as a warmer atmosphere can carry more moisture) and what rain we get will probably fall in heavier events.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:56:21 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: August 21, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Hi Pen
I had the same conundrum as you and came to the conclusion, I would rather have a good looking gent my garden rather than a lump o concrete or polyester

It has been worth every cent

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: August 21, 2021, 09:20:10 PM »
Hi Carol

I think perhaps I ought to explain that my comment about astroturf & concrete was a silly flippant throwaway remark!  We used to be surrounded by brickworks here so as you can imagine my garden is a big solid lump of clay.  I've actually stood on a fork & jumped up & down on it & it doesn't sink in :laugh:  It's amazing how the weeds still manage to flourish :(  I had thistles nearly as tall as me!  Graham's plan is to replace my small pea shingle with something a bit chunkier to slow the weeds up.  The "proper" gardeners round here have had to dig in loads of manure & sand to make the soil decent enough to grow veggies & flowers.  I do have a small bed with some lovely shrubs :)
Anyway as you rightly say there's no harm in having a lovely good looking gent in your garden >:D
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: August 21, 2021, 09:31:56 PM »
It’s lucky I haven’t got a curious bone in my body, Pen. 

Did you know that your author had some of her books banned from libraries in Australia? The reason given was that “Noddy walked down a country lane and felt a little queer."

Yesterday, two women were playing golf on the Redland Bay links. One teed off and watched in horror as her ball headed directly toward Blue’s foursome playing the adjacent hole. The ball hit Blue.

Oh Jack I read your post first thing while I was enjoying my first cuppa of the day & I couldn't stop laughing.  Brilliant :laugh:

Sadly, Graham is just a lovely chap who I've known for years & is helping to straighten out my garden.  It is very lucky that you're not at all curious >:D

Going to enjoy my lunch now :-H Back in a jiffy!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: August 21, 2021, 11:53:02 PM »
I'm back Jack

My rebus is the first in a series of books which was published in 1977.  There was also a television series.

#1 6 (#3 + #3) #5 #3 #5

A
You need the surname of the footballer & the character in the last picture.  Please assume the pictures are all on one line.

A man takes his seat in the theatre, but his seat is too far from the stage. He whispers to the usher, "This is a murder mystery, and I need to sit nearer to hear what's going on. Get me a better seat, and I'll give you a handsome tip."
The usher moves him into the second row, and the man hands the usher a 50p piece.
The usher stares at the coin in his hand, leans over and whispers, "The wife did it."

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 11:54:43 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack