Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814334 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6586 on: August 02, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »
A quick change of plan - the rebus that I had planned for today was the same as Pen's.
I think this is the second time that this has happened.
Great minds do indeed think alike.

So, time to bring on the substitute - a 1937 novella, an American classic which has been filmed several times and turned into an opera,

The rebus is in two parts - the name of the novella and the name of the author

(1) - the novella = four words - 2/4/3/3; (2) - the author - two words - 4/9

picture 1 - cut the first and last letter
picture 3 - cut the first letter

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: August 02, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue was driving a truck loaded with thousands of copies of Roget's Thesaurus to James Cook University in Townsville yesterday when he failed to take a corner in North Brisbane and crashed, spilling the books all over the road.

According to the Courier-Mail, witnesses were stunned, startled, aghast, taken aback, stupefied, confused, punchy, shocked, rattled, paralysed, dazed, bewildered, mixed up, surprised, awed, dumbfounded, flabbergasted, astounded, amazed, confounded, astonished, boggled,  overwhelmed, horrified, numbed, and perplexed.  Blue was unhurt and when asked his word for it, said, “Bugger”.

Blue is a bit of a clown. He asked me who paid for the last supper and did they leave a tip.

When he was courting Sheila, they were both into archery. For her birthday, Blue made a container for her arrows. He claims that of all the men she had dated, he was the first to make her quiver.

Snap.  Mike’s rebus today was on my reserve list.  No worries - I couldn’t have presented it with the same panache and it has given me an idea for my rebus. It is one of series of American live action/computer-animated family comedy films loosely based on the 1945 novel of the same name as the first in the series.

6(#3  #3)  6(#3  #3)  #1: #4  #2 3  #4

:   
Conceptionally one line.  The definite article is not pictured.
Picture 2.  You are not interested in the subject of the painting.
Picture 3.  Past tense.
Picture 5. A numeral, not a letter.
Picture 7.  Ditch the last letter.
Picture 8. The adjective used to describe this gunfighter who held the first “dead man’s hand”

extended until 4.00 pm Sunday.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:24:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: August 02, 2021, 01:22:13 PM »
Clever!

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: August 02, 2021, 01:27:48 PM »
Mike...you beat me to it! Great puzzles you've ALL been putting together. Keep them coming, please.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: August 02, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »
G'day Jack, i did like the Blue joke but i am not sure if you & Pen are aware of just how popular & well known Blue is.
My mate Fred recently told me about when he had spent some time with Blue in Canberra.

EVERYBODY KNOWS BLUE

Blue takes Fred for a walk into town to show him around.
"Hey Blue!" one woman said in passing.
"Lovely day, isn't it Blue?" said the next man that passed.
After the third and fourth person to pass had all greeted Blue, Fred felt compelled to say something.
"You sure seem to know a lot of people Blue" said Fred.
"Everyone knows me." said Blue.
Fred laughs. "Everyone? Hah, not everyone can know you!" Fred says with a chuckle.
"Really, i'll show you" Blue says confidently.
They make their way to the mayor's house. Upon arrival the doors open wide and the mayor steps out.
"Blue!" the mayor exclaims enthusiastically, it's great to see you.
"I don't believe it!" says Fred "The mayor must know lots of people though."
"Okay... Cmon" says Blue.
Blue then takes Fred to Parliament House. The security guards and secret service agents simply nod and step to the side for Blue. Fred is in disbelief. Blue and Fred walk straight into parliament. Fred's jaw gapes as he sets eyes upon the prime minister!
"Blue! What's new?" says the prime minister.
"Okay, this is impressive, but not EVERYBODY can know you Blue," says Fred.
Honestly mate, everybody does know Blue, i'm going to Italy next week, why don't you come along.
So Blue and Fred Fly to Italy and head directly for the Vatican. Standing outside of the Vatican a huge crowd begins to form.
"Wait here," Blue says.
Moments later, Blue emerges on the balcony of the Vatican with none other than the Pope! The crowd begins cheering loudly!
Looking off the balcony, Blue could see that Fred had fainted. Blue quickly rushed to him. Blue arrived at Fred's side just as he was regaining consciousness.
"I guess you were pretty shocked that the Pope knows me!" said Blue.
"It wasn't that..." said Fred, "when you two came out on the balcony, i heard the bloke behind me say 'who is that with Blue?'"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:46:55 PM by les303 »

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: August 02, 2021, 05:17:42 PM »
G'day Pen, if you are looking for a new source to keep pace with Jack, may i suggest revisiting the " Forumites changing light bulbs " thread.
loofa cost me a rosette in yesterday's standard game so i immediately considered a challenge but when i did the mandatory search, it landed me in the middle of the above mentioned thread.
They may be well over 10 years old but the posts of Pat, Birdy & many others are just hilarious & well worth re - using.

I tried to copy the link but buggered it up somehow so if you just type loofa into the forum search, it will take you to the page that i am referring to.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:47:48 PM by les303 »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: August 02, 2021, 06:08:55 PM »
Thanks Les.  I love all the Blue jokes - they really tickle me :laugh:  I'm sure I've said it before but I can picture him in my mind!!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: August 02, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »
A quick change of plan - the rebus that I had planned for today was the same as Pen's.
I think this is the second time that this has happened.
Great minds do indeed think alike.

Thanks Mike I'll take that  :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: August 02, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
G'day Jack

It's Monday again already & it's busy already!  I've taken a couple of days off this week - tomorrow & Thursday :)  I'm going to Trent Bridge on Friday.  The third day of the India test.  Unfortunately, the forecast is for showers so a brolly will be required :-R

I'm going to be lagging behind you & Mike this morning rebus wise!  Mine's quite simple by comparison.  So simple in fact I'm not sure you need any clues >:D

7 (#3 + #3) #2 #3 5 (#2 + #2 +#1)

THEA

I've played a bit fast & loose with the golfer as I'm sure he never shortens his name!  Please remove the last letter from picture three.

My post is like me this morning...
short & slightly grumpy ;D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: August 02, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
ps
Sorry Jack I meant to say that it's a bugger your lockdown's been extended. :(

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: August 03, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
A 1969 stage play which became a fairly successful 1975 film.
It deals with the aftermath of some rather unsavoury goings-on in the officers' mess of a famous English army regiment.

two words - 7/10
picture 1 - cut the last letter
picture 5 - cut the fourth letter
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:07:51 AM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: August 03, 2021, 04:15:43 PM »
Quote from: Pen
I love all the Blue jokes - they really tickle me :laugh:  I'm sure I've said it before but I can picture him in my mind!!
it's a bugger your lockdown's been extended.

Hi Pen,

I also have a picture of Blue in my mind. I use a wide license in time and place, occupation and age but in the basics he is decent, open, knock-about, irreverent bloke.   A larrikin,  anti-authoritarian if it doesn’t make sense, a desert-dry sense of humour, ironic, he respects women and diversity and is willing to give everybody a fair go, and is a mate you could rely on. He is humble and doesn’t take himself too seriously but he is deceptively clever and won’t take shit from anyone.  He doesn’t mind a drink but he is not a habitual drunk.  I only use Blue in stories where he exhibits those characteristics and that is possibly the reason you have a good picture of him in your mind.

The lockdown is not terribly onerous for us.  Life is much the same as usual. We are allowed to shop for necessary food and to exercise Bonnie in open areas within 10 kilometres although we have to wear a mask if we are going to be in close contact with people. The biggest nuisance is not being able to interact with the Coorperoo mob which we would normally do once or twice a week.  I think it might be more of a burden for Les and he might like to tell us how he finds it.

Blue told me he knew a women who owned a taser and, boy, was she stunning.

My rebus today is a American horror thriller film released within the last year. From the limited write up it appears to be a parody of an 1870 maritime mystery.

8(#4  #4)   2   3   #4  7(#3  #4)

of the  

Picture 3. The older one.
Picture 5. Ditch the first letter
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:47:51 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: August 03, 2021, 08:55:19 PM »
The local " bottleo " is still open so i'm all good.