Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814089 times)

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6540 on: July 26, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Hi Jack

Thanks for your answer but after reading the article I am beginning to wish I had
never asked the question  ???

Carol

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: July 26, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »
Hi Mike

Lovely picture of sukebind whatever it is

Like I said to Jack I wish I had never asked the question

Carol

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: July 26, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »
A massive 1962 pop hit single for the very talented lady who helped to write it.

seven words - 2/5/2/4/4/5/9

picture 3 - the two middle letters only
picture 8 - drop the second letter
picture 9 - drop the third letter
picture 10 - drop either the second or the third letter

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: July 26, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »
What a wonderful performance by Arne, she knocked off the American Olympic champion to claim gold in the 400 free ... memories of the great Shane Gould.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:32 PM »
A massive 1962 pop hit single for the very talented lady who helped to write it.

Having a small celebration Mike!  Managed to solve your rebus but couldn't for the life of me remember who the singer is :-R  Better consult Ms Google!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: July 26, 2021, 08:51:06 PM »
G'day Jack

I have 35 minutes to do a quick rebus before lunch!

It's a hit record from the 1970's when there was some very naff stuff to be had!

6 (#2 + #4) #5 #3 #5

The first picture is a homophone.  Please use the middle name of gent in picture two & take away the last letter of the fourth picture.

Did it with five minutes to spare :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: July 26, 2021, 09:40:27 PM »
What-ho Pen,

I was looking for a rebus for grandparents and came across a page on the hundred best books for children. I have no doubts about the quality of the one I chose but I don’t think I would give it to my grandkids. It’s about the atrocities in WWII.

3  #3  2  3  #7  #7

Picture 1  past tense.    
2 definite articles  are not pictured.

P.S. THANKS MIKE.  FIXED. It’s most important to get the count right.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:14:34 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: July 27, 2021, 06:44:39 AM »
Hi Pen,

A bit of humour I  was too tired to find earlier

Regards, Jack

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: July 27, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »
Forgive me, Ozzyjack, but I have many doubts about the quality of that book - I thought it was dreadful with a most unconvincing narrator 😳

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: July 27, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »
You are looking for the English translation of the title of a 1956 French film, described by one US critic as 'a breezy erotic drama' and given a 'C' ['condemned'] rating by the American Catholic League of Decency.
Not surprisingly, it was hugely successful wherever it was shown (often in a heavily censored version) and made the 18-year old 'BB' a superstar.

four words - 3/3/7/5

picture 2 - on the right
picture 3 - first four letters
picture 4 - first three letters
picture 5 - any one of them

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: July 27, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
I have many doubts about the quality of that book ('The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas / Pajamas') - I thought it was dreadful with a most unconvincing narrator 😳

I've not read the novel, but I have seen the film, I thought it was 'ok' and I wasn't offended by it in any way.

In general. as far as the Holocaust is concerned, I do think it very important that young people today should learn about the atrocities that took place in the death camps during World War II. Hopefully, the more people know about these places and what went on inside them, the less chance there is of such things happening again.

I do not however, as some seem to do, believe that the list of twentieth century war crimes begins and ends with the Holocaust.,

In Cambodia, Pol Pot murdered one quarter of the population of his country, while the rest of the world looked on.
Nobody will ever know how many died in the pogroms ordered by Stalin - probably several millions
Millions died horribly during World War I - a war fought on behalf of the royal dynasties of Europe - the Hohenzollern, the Romanovs, the Hapsburgs and - not least - the Windsors.
Bosnia, Rwanda, Hiroshima  - the list goes on, and that's without even mentioning Vietnam

So, yes, people should never be allowed to forget the Holocaust; equally, they must never be allowed to forget all the atrocities  that made the twentieth century the bloodiest in history.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:52:14 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: July 27, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
Hi Pen,
With half of Australia in lock-down, it is probably appropriate to alleviate the suffering with a bit of humour.

How can you not want to wear these masks?

I don’t know who the author of this parody  was.
How many times must the borders be closed,
Before Premiers and Feds can agree?
How many jabs must Australians have,
To achieve herd immu-unity?
How many lockdowns must Melbourne endure,
Before Chairman Dan lets folk free?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The virus is blowin' in the wind.

Apologies to Bob D

Many politicians, particularly after they retire, become authors.  My politician reached the highest office and was one of the most prolific authors. The book is about one of his ancestors.

#11: #3  #4  #3  #5

:      

Conceptually one line.
Picture 2. First 3 letters of the thing pictured.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: July 27, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »
Hi Madeleine,

I have not read the book or seen the film.

I used the film in the write-up out of laziness as I was still working without a keyboard.  I think Mike’s summing up of the film, which I sensed was damning with faint praise, aligns with the Wikipedia write-up. 

I agree with his argument that such films should be shown to following generations.  I must confess to a NIMBY mentality myself in that I prefer movies that make me feel good and I rarely watch fiction that approximates as history.  An exception was the TV series the “Band of Brothers” which I thought was excellent and, in one of the final episodes, covered the Americans discovery of a death camp excellently, particularly the way they forced the locals to clean up the camp to make sure the were acutely aware of what happened there while they looked the other way.

You might be interested in this Wikipedia write up of the book, which although presenting both sides, favours your assessment

P.S.  NIMBY does mean "Don't do as I do, Do as I say" doesn't it?  :D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:37:51 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: July 27, 2021, 06:05:28 PM »
So, yes, people should never be allowed to forget the Holocaust; equally, they must never be allowed to forget all the atrocities  that made the twentieth century the bloodiest in history.
Well put Mike.

I agree with his argument that such films should be shown to following generations.  I must confess to a NIMBY mentality myself in that I prefer movies that make me feel good and I rarely watch fiction that approximates as history.  An exception was the TV series the “Band of Brothers” which I thought was excellent and, in one of the final episodes, covered the Americans discovery of a death camp excellently, particularly the way they forced the locals to clean up the camp to make sure the were acutely aware of what happened there while they looked the other way.
P.S.  NIMBY does mean "Don't do as I do, Do as I say" doesn't it?  :D

I totally agree Jack.   I prefer films that make me feel good. I've never managed to watch Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List.  I made myself go to the pictures to see Dunkirk & found it very difficult to watch.  Especially as my Dad was a Dunkirk Veteran.  The Darkest Hour was one of the best films I've seen for a while.
Band of Brothers was a brilliant series.  I'm not a fan of Friends so I was a bit skeptical about David Schwimmer but he turned out to be very good. 
NIMBY is definitely "Don't do as I do, Do as I say" >:D

Back in a little while, hopefully with a rebus ;D