Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814273 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6495 on: July 20, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
Today's offering is a 1976 comedy western starring two of Hollywood's biggest names of the time. However, it wasn't hugely successful and today has a mediocre 33% rating on 'Rotten Tomatoes'; the general consensus is that it was 'good in parts'.

six words, including two definite articles - 3/7/3/3/9/3

picture 2 - lose the first letter of the beastie's location
picture 3 - lose the first letter
pictures 4 and 5 together form a [probably fictitious] place name

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: July 20, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
Jack
Yes, I was thinking of 'Big Little Lies' with my reference to Reece Witherspoon.
According to IMDb, Pleasantvile had a '12' rating in UK (PG for the DVD) and 'M' in Australia. That seems about right; there is no actual nudity in the film (apart from the pictures in the coffee-table art-book), very little bad language and no explicit sex scenes;
there are, however, a number of 'adult themes', most of which will (as your review says) go over the heads of most young viewers.

Whatever, it has become a very firm favourite of mine and my advice to anyone who hasn't seen it is 'get a copy and watch it. I doubt if you will be disappointed'.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: July 20, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue just showed me a classical example of political spin.  He had been doing some work on his family tree and he discovered that he had a common ancestor with one of our top politicians.  He also found out that his ancestor, Ima Conner, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Melbourne in the 1880s.   The only known photograph of Ima shows him standing on the gallows at the Melbourne Jail.  On the back of the photograph was this inscription:

'Ima Conner, horse thief, sent to Melbourne Jail 1885, escaped 1887,  robbed the Melbourne-Geelong train six times.   Caught by Victoria Police Force, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

So Blue e-mailed the politician to ask if he had any information about their common ancestor.  Believe it or not, the politician’s staff sent back the following for his genealogy research:

"Ima Conner was famous in Victoria during the mid to late 1800s. His business empire grew to include the acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Melbourne-Geelong Railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad.  In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the Victoria Police Force.  In 1889, Ima passed away during an important civic function held in his honour when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

I thought a good topic for a rebus would be front-page newspaper headlines.  I scoured the internet for worldwide inspiration but in the end, came home to the NT News.

6(#4  #2), #4, #3   7(#5  #2)

Conceptually one line.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: July 20, 2021, 06:16:22 PM »
Today's offering is a 1976 comedy western starring two of Hollywood's biggest names of the time. However, it wasn't hugely successful and today has a mediocre 33% rating on 'Rotten Tomatoes'; the general consensus is that it was 'good in parts'.

I remember this film Mike & think that the general consensus is fairly accurate!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: July 20, 2021, 07:30:48 PM »
Hi Jack

Another scorcher today.  It can stop now please I've had sufficient :laugh:

I read Blue's political spin while I was enjoying my early morning cuppa & it made me roar with laughter :laugh:  Really tickled me!

I think I've solved your rebus but I'm not overly confident.  I shall keep a lid on my patience & wait for the spoiler!

I was a little short of inspiration today.  My rebus is a film from the 1970's.  Unlike Mike's this one got a whopping 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Well deserved in my opinion.

#3 #6 10 (#7 + #4)

You're not interested in who the gent is in the second picture. The last picture is a homophone.  Please remove the last letter first!

A solar panel is talking to a wind turbine. The solar panel says, "So what do you think about this whole renewable energy thing?"
The turbine replies, "I'm a big fan!"

I took my pet lizard to the vet today as he kept telling terrible jokes...
The vet said "That's not a lizard - it's a stand up chameleon!"

Leave you with a joke courtesy of Mike the radiographer ;D

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:32:26 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: July 21, 2021, 10:44:09 AM »
The discussion in one of the other forums is of  'hexameters' and such like.
This, from 'The Scottish Play' is (as far as I remember) written in trochaic tetrameters.
Part of an incantation by three 'weird sisters' whom most people wouldn't want to meet on a dark night.

ten words - 6/6/4/3/7/,/4/4/3/8/6

picture 3 - first four letters only

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: July 21, 2021, 04:32:56 PM »
Hi Pen,

Dog Training tonight, so I have to get this off quickly. 

I first looked at Steinbeck for inspiration but reading through the plots I became depressed and so turned to an author who wrote rollicking yarns, by Jove, or should that be by Jeeves, who was published between 1902 and 1978.  Some of his novels were published under different titles in America and that applies to the one I am choosing today, so I will give you both.

British:  #6, #5  #3    #5  #6

American: 3   #4  #4  #8

The

Picture 2. The four left letters
Picture 3.  Replace one of the "c"s with a "t"
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: July 21, 2021, 08:03:55 PM »
Hi Jack

Hope the Dog Training went well :)

We had a storm yesterday evening.  Thunder, lightning, rain, hail, the whole shooting match!  My neighbour messaged me to ask if I was ok & was I hiding in the cupboard under the stairs :laugh:
I was very grateful it didn't wait til I was in bed!!  It did cool things down for a little while but it's very hot & humid again today :(

I've sussed half your rebus but haven't managed to sort out the second bit yet.  Totally stumped by Mike's at the moment but the clinic's busy so I'll return to it later when it's a little quieter.

I've tried to find some sort of weather related song.  I came up with a record from 1984.
#4 #3 #4 #1 9 (#5 + #4)

A
Please change the first letter of the third picture & the second letter of the first name of the gent in picture four.

Two cowboys are lost in the desert & are very hungry.
One cowboy sees a tree that's covered in bacon.
"A bacon tree! We're saved!" he says.
He runs up to the tree and gets shot!
It wasn't a bacon tree…
It was a ham bush!

This has whiskers on it but it still tickles me >:D

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:17:27 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: July 22, 2021, 09:29:45 AM »
A long-running British TV series (1979-1988) which had a total of 112 episodes.
You may have been surprised while watching it,

four words - 5/2/3/10

picture 3 - last three letters
pictures 6-7 - first three letters of each of the words
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:32:43 AM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: July 22, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
Hi Pen,
The training was a bit curate’s egg.  A lot of people didn’t turn up because it was too cold.  8oC and a bitterly cool westerly, so they combined two classes of different abilities which weren’t ideal.  The instructors were also a bit keen to get home, so we didn’t go the full hour.  I made a concession to the conditions by wearing a golf base layer garment under my T-shirt but I didn’t consider it cold enough to abandon footy shorts for long trousers.

I guess Les would have rugged up and gone down to South Bank for the fireworks and celebrations because Brisbane won the right to host the 2132 Olympics.  I don’t know what the excitement was about because it ended up being a one-horse race.  I guess you could say it is fitting that we did a “Bradbury”.

I have told this story before, but I am trusting that people have short memories.

Sheila asked her friend, Babs, over for lunch.  On Bab’s arrival Sheila announced she was going to serve a delicious Ox Tongue stew.
No no”, cried Babs, “I won’t eat anything that comes out of an animals mouth. Just please just serve me an egg”.

My Author today is British. His publications have included cookery books, history and military history, but he is best known for his spy novels.
Among many other books, he wrote 3 spy trilogies using the same characters.  The second had a broad likeness to my rebus yesterday but the three books from the first trilogy were
#6  #4 , #6 #3,  #6   #5

The first word of each title is a geographic location: A city or country.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:10:46 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: July 22, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »
A kindred spirit, Jack?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: July 22, 2021, 03:04:26 PM »
Yes, but I don't take it to extremes.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: July 22, 2021, 03:42:28 PM »
You 2 just made me howl with laughter :laugh: Brilliant!! Time for brekkie :-H
As the younsters say laters ;D