Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814462 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5820 on: April 05, 2021, 11:21:01 AM »
I reckon that you are over thinking it.
My solution was the same as your first impression.

Loved the Easter lock down joke.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: April 05, 2021, 01:18:13 PM »
Movie title - 5 words - no image for first word which is The ---  3 , 4 , 6 , 8 , 5.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: April 05, 2021, 05:45:43 PM »
I just received an email from a Canberra friend reminding me what we were doing 45 years ago.  The "Maurers of Rivett"  in the article below were actually Andrew (aged 7) and two colleagues from work and myself.  As we were a make-up family we gave a false address.  The things you will do when you are young and silly and have been drinking beer all afternoon.  The Adults were also honorary members of the West Canberra Australian Rules Football Club that won the beer in a sausage eating contest.

Nostalgia
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: April 05, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »
I am still all at sea on this one so it is time to phone a friend.

Hi Jack

Here I am at work.  It was snowing when I came in this morning :o  It's busier than I expected.  Lots of patients from A&E.

You don't need to phone a friend as you were spot on.  My silly fault for leading you astray by following straight on from my Sheila comment :-[  Should have started a new line.
   >:D

I enjoyed your touch of nostalgia :)  I can't remember if a zucchini is a courgette or an aubergine but either way it'd be hard work pushing along with your nose :laugh:  I reckon a great time was had by all.

I can't match Les's excellent rebus so I'm keeping mine nice & simple today.  It's a film from the 1990's.
#3 #4 #5

Hopefully this is a sitter :)  Can you name the golf course for a bonus point? >:D

My cartoons all have a funny little grey box in the corner.  Never seen it before.  Hope they're not all going to vanish.

Nearly lunchtime thank goodness :-H  Ham & egg sarnie for me.

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: April 06, 2021, 02:00:53 AM »
My cartoons all have a funny little grey box in the corner.  Never seen it before.  Hope they're not all going to vanish.

Hi Pen,

I just woke up with your post open.  I must have dropped off to sleep about 3 hours ago in front of it.  I was Knacked.

If you have never seen the funny little grey box before, then this is probably the first time you have used Amazon AWS cartoons.  The number is just their catalogue number.

I am a bit confused about your bonus question.  If it figures in the film then I think I have got the answer wrong.  If it is just the venue the third picture was shot at, then I think it was taken at the 2016 Senior PGA at Benton Harbor, Michigan.

I’ve got a busy day today, so I must get some shut-eye
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 03:56:52 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: April 06, 2021, 04:33:34 AM »

I am a bit confused about your bonus question.  If it figures in the film then I think I have got the answer wrong.  If it is just the venue the third picture was shot at, then I think it was taken at the 2016 Senior PGA at Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Hi Again Jack

You are spot on with the answer to my rebus :)  My bonus question was a sort of lame attempt at a bit of a joke.  I did mean the course in the third picture.  Never dreaming for one second that you'd spot it that easily!  Should have known better :)

I'm a bit knacked too :-Y  My chair & the remote are calling me!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: April 06, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
'Full Monty' is one of the greatest Britcoms of all time. My daughter was at Uni in Sheffield at the time it was being filmed and she swears that her cat makes a brief appearance in one scene!

My film is also a politically aware comedy set in Yorkshire (the 'Deep South' as Tynesiders call it!} but  from one year earlier.

Two words 7/3

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:14:35 AM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: April 06, 2021, 06:41:31 PM »
A great rebus & a great film Mike :)  Next time I re-watch the Full Monty I'll look out for your daughter's cat!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: April 06, 2021, 07:23:16 PM »
I’ve got a busy day today, so I must get some shut-eye

G'day Jack

Hope you survived your busy day.  It's bitterly cold here again today - had to scrape the ice off my windscreen before I could drive to work!

I'm continuing on a theme.  My rebus is a another classic British film from the noughties.  You'll find this easy peasy lemon squeezy ;D
#5 #6

Hint - first name of gent in picture 3.  Tack picture 2 onto the end of picture 1 please.

A little boy was walking on the road eating chocolate.
A man came over and said, "Son, eating chocolates is bad for your health."
The boy replied, "Do you know, my Grandpa lived to be 105 years old."
"By eating chocolates?" the man asked.
"No, by minding his own business!"

During his military service Elvis served in the bomb disposal unit...
due to his experience with suspicious mines!

Better get back to the grindstone!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: April 07, 2021, 04:59:50 AM »
Hi Pen,

I survived.  The chores weren’t big things.  We had Dusty out for the day and we had to drive him back to Coorparoo in the heavy rain. 

The main chore was catching up on overdue correspondence with friends who we owed e-mails to.  That sentence will have Mike tut-tutting. A day of continuous rain seemed to be a good time to do it but two house-bound dogs provided a few distractions.  Some correspondence is more difficult to write when you realise you are in a happier place than your old friends.  It requires a certain delicacy and as you would realise delicacy is not one of my strengths.

I am struggling with one of Winston Churchill’s quotes to present as a rebus.  I will get back to it after a bit more sleep.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: April 07, 2021, 09:41:12 AM »
Hi Pen,

As promised a Churchillian quote that reflects his view of a country
^1  #6  #7  2  ^1  7(#3  #4)  6  ^2  #6
^ a typed word    # a picture     Red numeral an implied position

An  a  a       

If you know your Churchillian quotes you probably won't have to look at the pictures

Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: April 07, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »
If you are struggling with Jack's very clever rebus, you might find this one a lot easier.

Movie & stage show - 5 words .... 3 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 4 ... the last image is 2 words.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: April 07, 2021, 05:02:08 PM »
Hi Les,

With all the clues I gave I think mine was easier and your rebus was at least as clever.  Perhaps we ought to conduct a poll.

I understand your movie is going to be shown at the Yetala Drive-in in July.

I'll do a spoiler alert in due course.
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: April 07, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
For many years the Yatala drive in located in the Beenleigh area, was the last operating drive in theatre in Queensland.
I think that there are now a couple of others that have re - opened, one in Ipswich & another in Cairns.

What a wonderful & nostalgic night  out it would be to see this movie again at a drive in which is where i actually first saw it.

One of my fondest memories of the drive in was when my grandmother was visiting.
My mum & stepdad were in the front seat of the holden station wagon & i was in the back with grandma ( Hazel ).
Hazel had never been to a drive in theatre & was amazed by the size of the screen & the incredible technology that allowed us to hook up a speaker to the car window.
The movie we watched was " JAWS ". ( did i do that correctly John? , actually i couldn't give a rats)
It was a good movie but the most enjoyment i got from that night was from the comical commentary & physical reactions of Hazel, particularly in those close up scenes when the shark would lunge unexpectedly with jaws wide open.
Hazel was of short stature but managed to jump high enough to almost hit the car roof & i won't repeat the comments that she made in between her exited laughter & screaming as she tightly gripped my arm with both hands.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: April 07, 2021, 08:56:08 PM »
Hi Jack & Les

I solved Jack's rebus fairly easily but I was already halfway there as I was familiar with the quote.  I just had to wrinkle it out in the right order.  Sorry Les but I'm all at sea with your rebus though I did enjoy your story of going to the drive in to see Jaws with your grandma Hazel. 

I will nip off & get a cuppa & come back to it in a few minutes.  I've not thought about a puzzle yet as I've had a busy morning.  Hopefully things will be a little quieter this afternoon.

A day of continuous rain seemed to be a good time to do it but two house-bound dogs provided a few distractions.  Some correspondence is more difficult to write when you realise you are in a happier place than your old friends.  It requires a certain delicacy and as you would realise delicacy is not one of my strengths.

Oh Jack we had tons of snow yesterday evening & it settled & of course it froze over night so I had great fun defrosting my car this morning.  Luckily my neighbour came along & gave me a squirt! I took a quick snap on my mobile & e-mailed it to myself but I can't seem to attach it to anything :-R  Somebody needs to let the weather know it's April & not still February!

I would take issue with your last comment! (If I may :))

Like Arnie I'll be back...